• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New tundra or cucv ?

MtnDuece

Wanted a new tundra .started with collecting ww2 and Vietnam bdu's compasses hand tools moved to fire arms. Now I have the bug bought a deuce and the idea of another large payment is weighing heavy on my mind. Been looking into a cucv like the idea of expanding my collection . What are pros and cons of a cucv I live in a small man town never have to drive more than 100 miles. What's rough price range for a decent cond cucv. Not afraid of wrenching " I own a deuce" I would apriciate any feed back.

Well i personally have seen some really nice M1008s that were stock go for above $5,000 and ones that werent that bad that needed work as low as $3500.Now if your after a Variant M1028,m1010,Ect.Then those trucks are upwards of $8,000 or as low as $4,500.It depends on what your after.A friend of mine has a nice m1008 that he's askin $6,000 for. Best thing to do my friend is go on ebay you can get a feel for what the trucks are going for its hard to say.Good Luck.:beer:They are awesome trucks when you get a nice one to start out with.

Last edited:

Skinny

I think an M1008 to a new Tundra is apples to oranges. One is nothing more than a payment plan and some scheduled maintenance for quite some time. Quiet ride, A/C, fast, good tow capacity, etc.

The other is a slow, noisy, harsh beast that won't owe you anything once you run through it with a fine tooth comb.

Completely seperate animals. I think you need to make a decision if you want a payment plan or bloody knuckles. One thing is for sure, I wouldn't trade my M1031 for a new Tundra any day of the week.

ryan77

Tundra= ac, radio, able to talk on phone, able to go over 55, quiet comfortable ride, etc etc, I wouldnt drive a m1008 everyday if u paid me and ive owned 4 of them!!

The CUCV is cool but if you need a reliable daily driver the Tundra is the way to go. Buy a CUCV later for fun.
This. Also, I wrench on the CUCV way more than the deuce. And GWS is hardly a small mountain town, not like that should affect your decision. What's wrong with your current DD? If it's in good shape, then I could understand your desire to find a CUCV. (Coming from someone who DD's a 1028 in a small mountain town)

EdMontana

Go with a Tundra, I love mine, got new in 2008 and only thing I had to put on was change oil, set of new tires and gas.

I had GMC's for 30 years or so, my last Chevy 1500K (Made in Canada) got brand new and was a disaster to maintain.

My Tundra Crew Max (Made in U.S.) have a 5.7 , 380 HP, auto 6 speed and tiptronic , 4X4 with towing package (tow 10K just fine) many advantages for the money that others don't offer in plain models...aluminum block, stainless exhaust, 4 wheel disk brake, side airbags, windshield post air bag, good on miles and re-sale value.

Anyway, that's my opinion.....:driver:

Skinny

Better yet, buy a 3 year old off lease Corolla that has 36k miles on it for $10k - $12k and still get the M1008. Then I would 6BT it with an NV4500 and maybe do an A/C swap. That way you have a rock solid 40 mpg DD and still have a workhorse that won't cost you an arm and a leg. Everything said and done, still cheaper than a new Tundra :mrgreen:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks