• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New twist on Bobbed conversions...

wehring

I am working on my 5th bobbed deuce now and I had a thought that I implemented this past weekend. It worked out so well that I am going to retrofit the other conversions with this feature.

The problem: I wanted to mount a jib crane in the back of a bobbed deuce for lifting generators, 55 gal drums, ammo, etc into the bed. The tail gate will fold down 90* where the chains hook and hold it but I wanted more. I want it to completely invert like the standard deuce tailgate so I gan get the load very close to the bed before lifting. The distance delta of tailgate position varies the crane capacity from 1000 to 500!

The solution: I tucked the rear crossmember in and cut 45* ends on the frame. The tailgate will now fully invert and there is no clearance issues. The strength members that attach to the rear frame section are also closer to the next crossmember (stronger) and attach where the rear spring hanger rests (stronger) to help prevent axial flex.

Here are some pics for your viewing pleasure. Got any questions feel free to shoot...

Attachments

wehring

Bobbed conversions

For the good of the group I will photo document fully the next conversion. I will post the progress on this site so do-it-yourselfers can get a better feel for the job. I will include a full tool list, measurements, "tricks I found" and any other relevant info.

I hope to convert the next truck this weekend.

Justin

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thank you. We are getting ready to do our first bob job. Justin, I owe you a beer for you hard work at documenting your work for other on here to follow.

deess

I have personally seen justins work,and it looks great.this guy has it down to a science.keep up the good work. shane

D8dave

Hi what i don,t get is you have built 5 trucks and you still hav'nt got 1 tailgate to go down all the way!! I built 1 truck and all i did was copy the way a normal deuce back is and did it the same way .:|

ccequipment

They way Justin is doing it, supports the very end of the bed, like he said. The way you proabaly done it was using the factory bumpers, leaves about the last 10-12" unsuported. This is fine for must of us, but he wants to a jib crane so he needs the support, for lifting heavy loads.

wehring

Support

Thanks ccequipment. You are exactly right. Attention to detail... It is important to me to fully support the bed with the frame. I could have copied what the factory did with the truck bed but the trailer bed is a different animal. It is not as rigid so it requires full length support in my opinion.

Highest Regards,
Justin

55Cameo

Looking good Justin, and by the way, the frame extension that you sent me worked out perfect. Thank you very much. Sorry I haven't gotten back to you on the phone. Keep up the good work. I will post some pictures of the final setup with the double bumpers and winch mount that I ended up with.

wehring

put the bed on

I put the bed on and there is 1/2"+ of clearance between the OPEN pintle hook and the bed. Closed I can put a fist in between the bed and top of the pintle.

This gives me full length bed support and allows me to fully open the tailgate.

Justin

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks