• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Tx Member- Just won Auction for M1097A2

LineOfDeparture

Howdy everyone.

Just won my HMMWV this morning.

An M1097A2 without a radiator. So will have a bit of a project to get it up and running.

Looking forward to getting it home and starting the journey to get it up and running. I foresee that I will probably need this forum as a resource, as I am not much of a mechanic.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Howdy everyone.

Just won my HMMWV this morning.

An M1097A2 without a radiator. So will have a bit of a project to get it up and running.

Looking forward to getting it home and starting the journey to get it up and running. I foresee that I will probably need this forum as a resource, as I am not much of a mechanic.
Welcome to the Outfit!

Be sure to post some pictures - maybe even some with your "New-To-You" truck still on the trailer! Then once you have her on the ground, more pictures. Some with the hood up, the doors open (if you have them) and from all sides. That way you will put a "stake in the ground" to show where you started. You will be amazed as you work towards being able to drive.

PLAN to READ some of the TM's (Technical Manuals) that are posted here as free downloads. The "Dash 10" (-10) book will explain things like battery wiring and how to start the truck without smoking your Glow Plugs. There are parts books and maintenance books. Thousands of pages... You will crash in your recliner trying to read just one. Gotta do it though. Especially the -10.

Another thing to do is spend a few DAYS cleaning contacts in the electrical system. There are "grounding kits" but honestly, they are a waste of your time and money. With a HMMWV, every electrical connection is a "two wire" connection. (don't expect a ground to the body) A power wire and a ground wire. There are a few spots where the grounds are "gathered" under the dash. Unbolt those connections and clean them up with a wire brush. Use Anti-Oxident paste to keep the crud off your connections after cleaning. REMEMBER: The electrical system is 24 Volts. One battery will light up your life (12v) and a second battery will weld wrenches to places you don't want them to be!

Again, welcome to the group and be sure to post some pictures!

Last edited:

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you win this one out of ky ? For some reason all the ones from hopkinsville ky dont have radiators in them ! Are they taking them out of all the HMMWV at all the gp locations?

LineOfDeparture

Did you win this one out of ky ? For some reason all the ones from hopkinsville ky dont have radiators in them ! Are they taking them out of all the HMMWV at all the gp locations?
Out of Tx. I think they probably get cannibalized by the service departments before they get slated to go to the auction block. See a lot of missing radiators on trucks out of Texas as well.

LineOfDeparture

Welcome to the Outfit!

Be sure to post some pictures - maybe even some with your "New-To-You" truck still on the trailer! Then once you have her on the ground, more pictures. Some with the hood up, the doors open (if you have them) and from all sides. That way you will put a "stake in the ground" to show where you started. You will be amazed as you work towards being able to drive.

PLAN to READ some of the TM's (Technical Manuals) that are posted here as free downloads. The "Dash 10" (-10) book will explain things like battery wiring and how to start the truck without smoking your Glow Plugs. There are parts books and maintenance books. Thousands of pages... You will crash in your recliner trying to read just one. Gotta do it though. Especially the -10.

Another thing to do is spend a few DAYS cleaning contacts in the electrical system. There are "grounding kits" but honestly, they are a waste of your time and money. With a HMMWV, every electrical connection is a "two wire" connection. (don't expect a ground to the body) A power wire and a ground wire. There are a few spots where the grounds are "gathered" under the dash. Unbolt those connections and clean them up with a wire brush. Use Anti-Oxident paste to keep the crud off your connections after cleaning. REMEMBER: The electrical system is 24 Volts. One battery will light up your life (12v) and a second battery will weld wrenches to places you don't want them to be!

Again, welcome to the group and be sure to post some pictures!

I appreciate this post. I've be perusing the -10 lately. Had some experience using M1114's in the USMC. However, that didn't really extend past PMCS on occasion and the oddball fix that could be done in the field.

My automotive acumen is a net zero, if I'm being honest with myself. It wasn't something I did in my youth, and I was more concerned with the tactical employment of my vehicle sections over the maintenance of the vehicles.

Can you elaborate on the bolded/underlined part? Like I said.. gonna need the knowledge within this place.

I appreciate it.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I appreciate this post. I've be perusing the -10 lately. Had some experience using M1114's in the USMC. However, that didn't really extend past PMCS on occasion and the oddball fix that could be done in the field.

My automotive acumen is a net zero, if I'm being honest with myself. It wasn't something I did in my youth, and I was more concerned with the tactical employment of my vehicle sections over the maintenance of the vehicles.

Can you elaborate on the bolded/underlined part? Like I said.. gonna need the knowledge within this place.

I appreciate it.
Yes sir. The short answer on the underlined part is to realize that you will be dealing with higher voltage in the HMMWV electrical system. 24 volts won't kill you but know that DC Voltage makes your muscles contract and "hold" onto whatever you have in your hand. Just think ahead before you stick a wrench onto a positive terminal - and accidentally ground yourself.

There will be two batteries in your HMMWV. Some of the bigger trucks have four (just so you know). One useful piece of information if you have interaction with other trucks is the NATO Plug under the passenger seat on your truck. The Duece, 5-Ton, and 7-Ton trucks have the slave port on the side of the battery box or on the passenger side of the truck. Makes everybody "compatable" if your truck won't go.

Batteries in Series - That is how you will be wired. Keep in mind in series connections each battery needs to have the same voltage and capacity rating, or you can end up damaging the battery. (Batteries should be Replaced in Pairs) To connect batteries in series, you connect the positive terminal of one battery to the negative of another. When charging batteries in series, you need to utilize a charger that matches the system voltage. Recommend you charge each battery individually to avoid an imbalance between batteries.

Battery Diagram - In Series.jpg

There is a lot more to know and be shared - but no need to clutter your mind for no good reason.

Guyfang

Staff member

Ukraine would be a real good guess.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks