• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new US MIL SPEC tow straps, cheap!

Opie

ALERT! MV newbie question:

Ok. Price sounds right. How many do folks typically use at one time? One? Two? More depending on application, I'm sure.

Wick246

Check out "The Monster" from the same seller - rated for 150,000 lbs and can be made to any length.

Does he combine items for shipping if you buy more than one?

M35guy

looks like a great deal to me, I gotta get some tow straps for those "just in case kits" in my trucks. as the scout motto says, BE PREPARED.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The ratings are different depending on use. Below is a page out of the Grainger catalog, it shows an "extra heavy duty", 3-inch wide nylon strap good for 8,600 lb in a vertical lift.
Don't know how it relates to tensile strength, but I would be careful about using a "tow" strap for lifting.

Attachments

Armada

[The ratings are different depending on use.]

A good rule of thumb is overkill.
Use a strap that is rated much more than what you think is required. Factors such as strap condition/wear, age, how it is attached, etc., can change strap load ratings dramatically.
A static load is one thing, but depending on what you're doing with it, you can unknowingly load a strap with much more than just the weight that is attached to it. Bad things can happen. :shock: [/quote]

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I only have a 10K winch, so the straps will be great for my applicaion. They also make them in 25 foot lengths, I'll post that inof when I get it.

OVERKILL IN THIS CASE IS VERY GOOD!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Depending on what you are doing depends on what strength and type of strap you need. Using the overkill factor on straps intended on snatching is counter productive. Lots of the military straps are for lifting and as such have very little stretch. If its just for dragging stuff around the yard, thats great but if you're going to do some snatch work, get the right material. At 10', thats not much strap. If you start coupling them together, then you start adding missiles between the straps if something lets go. I would never couple more than 2 straps togethere and you better damn well believe, I'll know what the capacities are before I try. Gang, I've been in off road recovery for a long time and have had my share of different straps. A nice 6" strap looks cool in the back of the Jeep but its just like a chain when your snatching with a 3000# vehicle. I have tons of straps for all kinds of uses and when it comes to freeing a stuck vehicle, I use only recovery straps. Rough estimates for snatch straps is 10,000# per inch width. A good heavy full size pickup truck can use a 4" strap but often it;s better with a 3", gives more elasticity. My CJ with a big block and 40" tires was a perfect match for a 3" strap. Do you wanna know what I use with the deuce? I've got a 30' 6" wide recovery strap just for the deuce. I've freed many semis with dump trailers and a handful of rubber tire loaders too. The kinetic energy that can be stored and released in a strap is mind boggling. How else could a 12,560# deuce tractor free a 60,000# semi? Don't try snatching with cargo straps, it just doesn't work. Check out www.strapman.com He makes all my recovery straps and can make anything. He will be in OH in Aug and makes the stuff on site out of a big trailer. Please gang, this stuff can kill you, use good common sense. Also look into the AKERR. Its the military version used in the recovery of armor. Not good for our puny little trucks but gives you an idea on the energy.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
4x4,

Thats EXACTLY the kind of info we need here... What do you suggest for guys with winches for self recovery/like vehicle recovery?

Thanks!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gang, I've emailed the strap man to see if he can shed some light on the subject. The most common length in the off road world for straps is 30'. I surely can help having different lengths for different situations. I'de love to have a 20 and 60 footer in the 6" width. With the weight of the wrecker, I might have a bigger strap made for it. He had some wild colors too, I'll ask about that too! I have no less than 15 straps here of different construction, material and capacity. As I said earlier, I cant tout my 6" strap enough, it's the perfect deuce companion!
Kenny

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK gang, got a response from the strapman. Ironically, those straps listed on Ebay are his. Here's his response and my original email. He makes everything himself and is prideful of his work. Here you go;

Thank You for your past and future bussiness!
The 6" x 30' strap that you purchased from me at Gravelrama has a breaking strenght of about 60,000 pounds. This is a good strap for all of your trucks that you have listed.

Here is a list of stock strap with cost and breaking strengths

10,000 ABS good for ATV's
1" x 10' $10.00
1" x 15' $12.50
1" x 20' $15.00

20,000 ABS good for cars and Mid size puck-ups
2" x 20' $24.00
2" x 30' $30.00

30,000 ABS Good for heavy pick ups and SUV's
3" x 20' $35.00
3" x 30' $49.00

40,000 ABS Good for your 2 1/2 ton truck for lite to medium pulling, but not heavy snapping.
4" x 30' $59.00

60,000 ABS Serious pulling
6" x 30' $115.00

As you know, but the other people that do not know me I can make any strap any length and strength. I stock webbing 1" thru 12" wide. We can multi ply the straps upto 4 plys thick. Mega strenght but no snap action.

I also have the straps listed here on Ebay, but I sell them for $20.00 plus shipping.
At last count I have about 500 of them.

http://offer.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidsLogin&item=4574390120

I might be able to offer a volume discount if several of you can put together one large order.
----- Original Message -----
To: strapman@ix.netcom.com
Sent: 12 12, 2005 12:40 PM
Subject: StrapMan.comContact

Greetings Mr Strapman! Need a little information for a group of friends. Firstly, I buy my material from you at Gravelrama each year and wanted to say thanks. Back to my inquiry. I belong to a large club of Military Vehicle restorers and collectors. I had 2 of my military trucks at Gravelrama in 2003. We are having a discussion on snatch straps and what would be best with our trucks. I use a 30' x 6" strap for recovery and find it works well. Most of us have 2 1/2 ton army trucks that weigh around 13,500#. Some have 5 tons too and I also have a 2 1/2 ton wrecker that weighs 20,000#. What is the capacity of a 6" strap and do you think there is a better choice in size and length. I know I use the snatch action as a recovery tool and don't want too stiff of a strap. Several of our group are looking at what to buy and where to get it.
Many thanks for your time!
Kenny
Steel Soldiers MV Supersite
www.steelsoldiers.com

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Kenny,
How do you control the snap action of the strap? Seems like both vehicles may get damaged here.
I like chains with locking type hooks for infinite adjustment of the length.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Works like a rubber band. You just need to know the limit of the strap. I swear by them. Once the strap tightens up either you will spring backwards or the towed vehicle will start moving fwd. They absorb the shock so it's nothing like a chain. I would never bang on a chain, the shockload kills everything. I tell you Bjorn, if you ever used one, you would reserve your chains for lifting. As far as controlling the snap, you can do that by adjusting the slack you're using or the speed of the jerk. I usually start with a few small tugs in compound low. From there it's up to 2nd gear low with 10 to 15' of slack. Freeing rubber tire loaders is possible with the strap, no chance of doing the same with a chain. If you come down here again, we'll fool with the strap.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can Mr strapman make the 10 foot Mil spec strap that started this whole thing, but 25 feet long? I'd be in for 2 of them if he can stamp them with the mil markings...

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmm..., don't think it would be fair to ask someone to put fake markings on an item.
I pride myself in trying to use mil-spec parts when possible and would hate to have to worry about the authenticity because of fake markings.
Mil-spec products meet very strict requirements.
If mr Strapman makes the straps himself, how are the seams tested?

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If he already makes the MIL SPEC 10 footer , I dont see why it would be a problem to make one thats 25 feet. So I called, explained what I wanted, he said no problem, and did say the PN's wouldnt be right, but the straps would meet the specs. No problem.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks