• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New use for the Meduim Towbar and Axle Clamps

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kinda related, I was gone when the items I sold from the pipeline truck were picked up. I wished that this is what I found when buying parts.This guy didn't work to hard to put this on the trailer. More pipeline stuf, down the road.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ah, that's what the axle clamps look like.......

How do you tighten the chain that holds them?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back half has been scrapped! Just got back from the chipper. There was really nothing there of value, rust had its way with it. Clinto, you see that nut on the top? That draws up the slack on the chain once its fed through the main piece and hooked to same.
Westech, was there something from the back half you needed?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK Ryan,, I'll tell you that!
I did chop the back half a foot off the frame. I have the rotted pintle and the bumperettes, shackles etc.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Axles I have, springs I scrapped. The rust was so intense you could see where it was prying the leaves apart. Trust me, no worth on the springs. BC you are so correct! It was a Seabees truck and was from NMCB74. Door numbers were 95-19522. I'm told the 95 denotes what type of truck/machine it is. I would sure like to fond out what number the wreckers sport.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Is that a piece of diamond plate on the rocker panel? Odd patch.....

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think they went with 11ga diamond plate so that it would take longer to rust out. You folks can't begin to understand how rusty this truck was. Bjorn saw it, it was just plum nasty. In all honesty, looks like it was recovered from the deep sea. This thing was Titanic rusty!

rmgill

Were the catings that badly rusted to be unusable? I'd expect that as substantial as they are a bit of rust isn't really a big deal. Blast them clean and re-prime. Heck, a nice neat rear pintle brace casting would be perfect for adding to the front bumper for a properly braced front tow point no?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ryan, that stuff is OK without a doubt. The exposed threads on the pintle are non existant. The trailer shackles are in decent shape as are the bumperettes. I once tried to unbolt the bumperettes but the size of the nut has been greatly reduced and rounded from rust. The gas hatchet will need to be employed to free them. The pintle opens and closes but is not currently rotating, again nothing that cant be worked loose with the gas hatchet. I seem to recall having another complete pintle around here somewhere. Nice thing about the older pintle is they have zerks where the newer ones don't. The one on the pipeline had zerks so I'll do what I can with it. As far as a front pintle, if I were to add one it would just be a little 4 bolt one like the M151 uses. I would only use it for backing trailers anyway.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks