• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New / used / surplus created onan / lister engines * tear down before using??

sandmanxx

Simple question..

Is the rule - tear down and put back together a surplus / new used / etc crated or even mep gen set
that has been sitting for who knows how long??

Guess i answered my own question.

Ok - anyone find something they didn't think they would find when doing this..

Korgoth1

Chaffed wires, burnt ground wires, pest destruction, updates not performed, dry rot on all rubber items, switches taken apart and loosely/incorrectly put back together, over torqued/undertorqued fasteners, incorrectly fooled with fuel pumps, and lots of sand in places you wouldnt think it possible to have sand in.

Chainbreaker

Depends...on engine condition. Your pretty broad in your scope of engines. If new or rebuilt I would not consider tearing down an engine unless there are circumstances indicating it has a problem. Ex: Stored out in weather uncovered with signs of water in exhaust, etc. Reading all the posts from those with problems, the biggest culprit is water entering exhaust and migrating to cylinders and beyond. I would perform a very close inspection of any engine (looking for signs of water in exhaust, water in oil/fuel, signs of abuse, internal rust, wrong parts installed, etc.). If all signs are clear and it turns over by hand I would either run a compression test and/or attempt a start.

However, if you have a lot of time on your hands and have the right tools and experience then you could do a light tear down (taking heads off, etc...) to alleviate any fears and confirm that its a good engine before starting.

sandmanxx

Well as for this thread i mean a onan or lister peter 4 cylinder. Yea two where open crate - what looks like they where intented as spares. One is pluged and taped.
So that one gets a simple spin the crank and look at fill holes and injectors. The other crate engine is missing the exhaust plug and one other hole is open
if i remember - but the engines are pretty much spotless as could be expected.

The real question one is the mep-803a set. Radiator / starter / alternator off. A hose missing. Looks like the spilled oil at some point (floor). But again
the engine looks good. That one has 1500 hours on it. I may just take it OUT to cleanup inside of mep and spin it / etc.

As for tools and know how.. Will a 4 cylinder lister on a stand can't be any harder then putting in injectors on a 2004.5 dodge HPCR laying over the engine
trying to get to the back 2.. And bolting up a 48re auto trans by yourself on your back in the driveway lol

Chainbreaker

...As for tools and know how.. Will a 4 cylinder lister on a stand can't be any harder then putting in injectors on a 2004.5 dodge HPCR laying over the engine
trying to get to the back 2.. And bolting up a 48re auto trans by yourself on your back in the driveway lol
Yeah, but have you replaced the lift pump on your 2004.5 with a real pump? Kinda fun taking off the L front wheel and wheel liner to reach that POS. Ask me how I know! You should be fine...lol.

By the way, many fond memories of having lived in San Antonio in a former life. Is Mi Tierra still open 24/7/365? Although my favorite Tex-Mex (circa 1975) was a little white house that was out in the boonies called Martha's on NW side not too far off I-10. Best and freshest Mexican food I ever ate served out of that little house!

Really no teardown rule...in the end, its your decision based upon a detailed inspection whether you need to open up an engine.

rustystud

Well as for this thread i mean a onan or lister peter 4 cylinder. Yea two where open crate - what looks like they where intented as spares. One is pluged and taped.
So that one gets a simple spin the crank and look at fill holes and injectors. The other crate engine is missing the exhaust plug and one other hole is open
if i remember - but the engines are pretty much spotless as could be expected.

The real question one is the mep-803a set. Radiator / starter / alternator off. A hose missing. Looks like the spilled oil at some point (floor). But again
the engine looks good. That one has 1500 hours on it. I may just take it OUT to cleanup inside of mep and spin it / etc.

As for tools and know how.. Will a 4 cylinder lister on a stand can't be any harder then putting in injectors on a 2004.5 dodge HPCR laying over the engine
Well injectors are pretty much like replacing spark plugs in that engine. The Lister can get complicated especially on the injector rail system. Try running them first before you do any major tear down. If they don't run then get a copy of the engine service manual and become very familiar with it.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My thoughts are to spin it round and make sure nothing is binding. If it spins nicely prime it up and see if it will run. Run it a bit to knock the rust off the internals. Do a compression/leakdown test. If that goes well and the engine is serviceable I would recommend sending the injectors and pumps out to have them serviced. A set of balanced injectors are a beautiful thing to these little engines.

Put it back together and run the snot out of it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks