• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Wheels and Tires

Godspeed131

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad to hear it. I just ordered everything last night. The factory setup right now is fine except for aging out of round 12 year old tires lol. So with weighing the differences, literally, and pricing between staying with oem with runflat replacement inserts with more surplus tires or aftermarket 17s with days of options, aftermarket came out on top. I have my own tire machine so two piece wheel vs one piece was no issue when it came to convenience . So hopefully it’ll ride way better, well as much as it can be.

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you use HMMWV lug nuts with that setup ? And spill the beans or your centering protocol.. Im interested.

Thanks

Ocho Out !!

PS.. I can get these mounted ballanced and delivered for $1750 but im assuming Ill need a rebalance after adding hardware ?? What you say ?

Last edited:

Godspeed131

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You’ll have to use a aftermarket set of lug nuts like these.

KSP 9/16-18 Wheel Lug Nut 32PCS, 9/16x18 Black Tie Lug Nuts 32 Pack for 1994-2011 Ram 1500 2500 3500, 2'' Tall Closed End Cone/Conical Bulge Seat with Socket Key for Aftermarket Wheels 8x6.5 5x5.5 https://a.co/d/dD12JZr

Yea a rebalance would prolly be warranted. The hardware will add around 2.5 to 3 lbs to each wheel, but hey just bolt them up after adding the hardware evenly and decide afterwards. I’ve got the hardware but I’m going to hold off on bolting it all together until I decide if I want them on or not. I’m working on mine currently but ran into an issue and now I’m waiting on a replacement tire. The tire supplier sent me a random 35x12.50r20 in the mix with the other correct ones. I got the first three mounted and went to put the fourth tire on and it fell over the 17 in wheel. I didn’t know what was going on for a sec.

Last edited:

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Curious as to why not being able to use HMMWV lug nuts.. The end taper on lug nuts seems to be similar.. Since both HMMWV wheels and these seem to be lug centric, why couldnt they be used ? Thanks for any input..

Im guessing too wide,, wonder if i could trim off half these ugly lugs and use em open ended.. They are fine on my kids Range Rover but look not the part on the HMMWV..

cole6700

Curious as to why not being able to use HMMWV lug nuts.. The end taper on lug nuts seems to be similar.. Since both HMMWV wheels and these seem to be lug centric, why couldnt they be used ? Thanks for any input..

Im guessing too wide,, wonder if i could trim off half these ugly lugs and use em open ended.. They are fine on my kids Range Rover but look not the part on the HMMWV..
Thu Hmmwv lug nuts are too wide…the socket won’t fit in the hole. But I agree, the ones I put on look like crap. If you can find a better option I’d go for it.

I didn’t rebalance them after I put on the hardware and it’s all good as far as I can tell.

Attachments

cole6700

As far as getting everything centered, here’s what I did. And keep in mind, I’m a banker, not an engineer. Starting with the backside washers. Used a socket that fit the hole in the wheel to get the washer centered on the hole. Double sided tape on the washers to hold them in place. Placed a piece of hose on the bolt so it fit snugly in the washer hole. On the front side, I again put some double sided tape on the washers to hold them place while you tighten it up. Worked great but getting it all set up was a pain.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks