• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Winch Install

hardtime

Got back from a trip and wife had a 5-ton winch in the back of the truck, SWEET!!! She hacked in my comp. and found the info to a S.S member and picked it up. Dave had everything all in order for her with all bits and pieces.
Total time was about 2 days. Gathered up all new bolts and engine hoist ect.
Removed transmission cover and flushed out trans real good with clean diesel.
Cleaned up PTO and clecked all linkage and forks.
Made new gaskets/shims and preped all mating surfaces.
cleaned treads and studs and siliconed studs into trans case
Installed PTO and checked gear lash. The first time was way to loose and the second time to tight...three times a charm picking that little chunk up and down and it was time to prep gaskets and go for it.
Removing front bumper was a bit of a whore but came off with out the tourch.
cleaned pieces and bolted all plates together.
some of the winch nuts where missing so we welded new ones in place and dropped winch in place.
cleaned and lubed prop. shaft and installed.
removed pass. seat and rear hump cover and lubed and installed lever and linkage.
Filled trans with new juice and tested her out.
the only thing we can not figure what happened to the truck that this came off of is that both outer bumper plates at the 3rd hole back are cracked around bolt holes and slightly bent outward. We pulled them back and welded then and installed bumper.
All in all it went really well...the hardest part was picking up the "lead" PTO by my self 9 times to check for proper lash. Thanks Dave!!!

Attachments

shootiniron

COOL! Been gonna look for one for mine but alas no dinero.Cant really tell from the pic but cutting or grinding bare chested,way tougher than me!:shock:

Last edited:

Jared

"Got back from a trip and wife had a 5-ton winch in the back of the truck"
Not bad -- I gotta start taking trips again

groundog

:grd: I INSTALLED A WINCH WITH A LEVEL WIND AND TENSION ADJUSTER ON MY M-813----SURE IMPROVED THE LOOKS----I BELIEVE YOU CAN GET THE PTO GASKETS FROM NAPA---I BOUGHT A 5 TON TRANS GASKET KIT AND IT HAD THE PTO GASKET IN IT

hardtime

LOL...sizzlechest, Sasquatch would be Pop. He is an amazing fabricator/welder/mech. In his years he has fixed almost everything on the planet that burns oil or made of steel. My wife calls him Silverback...and I believe his skin is tougher than a leather welding jacket, hence the 3 jackets that hang above the welders that I have never seen him use.LOL!!