• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Windshield glass sources?

Warren Lovell

Question: Anyone buy a new windshield recently? Looking for a good vendor. I tried locally, but am getting Safelite, AAA autoglass...all installers - and I want to do this myself.

LMC - $254 ($129 + $125 freight)
Brothers - $249 ($139 + $110 shipping)

someoldmoose

Don't know how it is on the left coast but I have purchased the glass and mounting from Safe-lite before. They do not HAVE to install it but the love to "upsell" to get the install too. I would think in San Diego there should be many places selling auto glass. But then I have been wrong before. Maybe a quick trip to TJ ?

Crazyguyla

After installing my own glass and dealing with the headache's involved, I'd rather pay someone to provide and install the glass. If they break it, they replace it. Watched an installer break the glass installing it into my VW Bug. I'd do my Duece glass myself, but much swearing will be had...

Hasdrubal

Recently went into an auto glass shop. $140 + tax for a shaded top windshield # DW00850N. Order it and get it that afternoon, pick it up. No need for shipping. Install yourself.

Gottlos

Former 95B Ft Sam Houston
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used Safe-lite for my replacement. They did it quick and took the damage windshield with them when the job was done.

Hasdrubal

They did it quick and took the damage windshield with them when the job was done.
How quick ? Did you watch them? Did they just replace the glass and leave the rubber channel then? Or did they take out the rubber channel and apply some type of sealant to the pinch weld? I ask because the jokers up here wanted 3-4 hours labor.

cucvrus

Lets hope they removed the tightner and installed the glass. If they removed the gasket from the pinch weld they would open up a whole can of worms. I have not seen one in he last decade that didn't need to be sanded and repaired a bit before painting and installing the rubber again. Pinch welds can get scary in old vehicles. I would quote the same amount of time because I seen the horror jobs people do installing glass. Urethane sealer and glue the glass to the rubber. Peeling sealer and caulk from a rubber is no 10 minute job to do it right takes time. Also I tend to price high if I would rather not get involved. I even state up front if it is leaking and check it before I even remove the old glass. Dish soap and a window fan is a real seal tester. Or just compressed air.

Last edited:

Hasdrubal

I have not seen one in he last decade that didn't need to be sanded and repaired a bit before painting and installing the rubber again. Pinch welds can get scary in old vehicles.
I had to do mine twice already. Yes, its time consuming to clean up the pinch weld and re-prime. But, no windshield shop is going to do this. They will just remove any sealant and re-seal.

cucvrus

I had to do mine twice already. Yes, its time consuming to clean up the pinch weld and re-prime. But, no windshield shop is going to do this. They will just remove any sealant and re-seal.
Then you never had a windshield installed at CUCVRUS garage. If I can't pull the gasket and fix the pinch weld. I send it packing.

nyoffroad

When I had my body shop open I did lots of pinch weld repairs and then the glass guys came out to do the install. The actaul glass reeplacement time just wasn't worth it to me to do.

Oh yeah the OP's question, Any glass shop can order it or if you have a LKQ (Like Kind Quality) parts supplier around they should be able to get one for you. They bought out my old emplorer and should still handle auto glass.

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

My local family-owned shop did this for me on my Cherokee. They stripped away the old sealant, sanded, primed with a rust converter paint, and replaced the windshield. No guarantee against leakage, due to the rust there, but they made that clear when they gave the estimate. Fair enough.

BTW, it doesn't leak.

I doubt that you'll find any chain franchise shop that will do that.

Warren Lovell

Got a tinted windshield with antenna delivered for $120. Getting the windshield gasket with locking trim from Precision.
What are you guys using on the pinch-weld before you put the weather strip on? Or are you going dry?

Hasdrubal

I just used sealant, layed it on heavily in the rubber channel, lots squeezed out when installing window. Then wiped off the excess. Don't use urethane, its permanent, you'll have to cut off the rubber next time.

cucvrus

you'll have to cut off the rubber next time.

Always hope for NO next time. But layering on sealant is creating a rust haven. If you have to layer on the sealant there must be something else wrong to begin with. Fixing the problem when the glass is out would be wiser and for forth coming than just adding more sealant. But to each his own. A lite coat of sealer will do just as mush as a tube full and look tons better. Have a Great Day. Use all the sealer you want. They are making more today.

Warren Lovell

My rust was at the two top corners! You would think they would be at the bottom, but the lower corners were clean.

I have noticed the irregularity of the pinch weld due to spot welding. If that pinch weld was smooth and uniform throughout, the rubber weather-strip would have a better seal.
The black rubber stuff put in by the factory did level out the spot-weld indentations. I know this because I had to remove it. I am going to level mine with filler, sand smooth, and 2 part epoxy prime the pinch weld. Then I think a dry install will be effective at holding out the moisture.

Hasdrubal

Always hope for NO next time. But layering on sealant is creating a rust haven. If you have to layer on the sealant there must be something else wrong to begin with. Fixing the problem when the glass is out would be wiser.
We seem to have a misunderstanding. What I meant by next time, was if your windshield gets a crack and needs replacing, then you'll be pulling it. I was talking about dealing with any pinch weld rust and then applying sealer in the rubber channel. Not adding more. The first time I did mine, it was a rush job and I put the rubber on dry. 6 years later I had a small leak, took it out, did a more thorough job of it. Then I filled the rubber channel with sealer and installed it on the body, fitting windshield squeezed most of it out, wiped it off, that's it. Figured with sealant on both sides of the pinch weld it should be good. Rust needs oxygen.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks