• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New York Questions..

CSX90

Hey all, I searched the forum for info regarding registering and insuring a deuce in the state of New York.
I couldnt find an answer to a couple of a questions.
First off, I am not old enough to get historical plates or insurance and I want the truck in my name.
Am I able to register the truck as a normal truck or does it have to go commercial?

And as far as insurance, I just want liability. Can this be done? Also I was wondering if anyone else in NY has gone this route instead of the historical. Any suggestion on a insurance company in NY for non historical/antique?

Thanks so much for any info dealing with registering/insuring in NY state! I look forward to starting a hobby in MV's!

pooka

NY reg

Just reg'ed my M35A3 on Friday, 30 Oct. I have liability only, and transferred my plates from my F250. They are "commercial", but only based on weight. Veh reg'ed as a normal pickup (although much heavier). Good luck, any ?'s pm me.

CSX90

The deuce Im looking at I think is early 1970's as it has a C turbo. I mean I am not 25 or older to get the insurance. Thanks alot for the info, I was very curious if I could just transfer my plates from the farm truck to the "new" farm truck :wink:.

jumpmasterjim

I had to get a tranferable registration in Poughkeepsie DMV and used Geico insurance. It was pretty cheap, but I'm 0ver 40 too. Good luck.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dang the Lizard, I could not get Geico to insure mine!:evil:

I am completely happy with Gulfway Insurers.

The deuce weight requires a commercial plate(no passenger car plate), or Farm, Agriculture,Historical,or Vintage in NY.

rlwm211

Hi;
I got my deuce this spring and registered it in early June.
I have a 1973 AM General m35a2c and was required to provide an SF-97 to get a titile and registration issued. The DMV I went to would not accept the paid in full invoice I had. I opted for Historic plates. ($25 per year unless Paterson has figured out a way to screw that up too!)

Insurance is through JC TAYLOR and costs about $65 per year. I am limited to 3K miles a year by the insurance company and that is plenty for what I do with my truck.

What you have to do to get a plate, and either a title or transferrable registration will depend very much on which DMV you choose to use and how willing the clerk is to issue the paperwork. If you get a clerk who is a real PITA you are in for a tough ride. That was my experience and I will not be using the local DMV anytime soon for any "NEW" mil vehicle registrations. I am more than happy for them to "process" my existing registrations.

Historic plates in NY require the FS-20 (proof of insurance) and that document must have the words "HISTORIC VEHICLE" on the form. If you do not have that phrase, you cannot get historic plates. Ask me how I know. You can deal direct with JC TAYLOR and I would recommend that over using a local insurance agent. There are other companies that will issue for a deuce and you will pay a lot more for a vehicle registered "normally" that is commercial.

The pro's of historic tags are: It is cheap to do and you do not have to upgrade your lights and equipment to current safety standards. The cons: You are not supposed to use the truck for anything commercial, hauling loads or as a daily driver. The idea is you show, or display your vehicle, and participate in group events with your truck. I have an S280 shelter in my truck and if I put a pile of 2x4's in the back, no one would know and I also know if you are out shopping the local LEO's will not be looking in your bed to see if you are "hauling" anything.

Please feel free to ask any questions here as I am sure all of us have some information that can help you .

Just my two cents

RL

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One other restriction with Historic insurance or registration is, No towing(anything).

rlwm211

Here is the link to the PDF that NYSDMV has for Historic Vehicles

http://www.nysdmv.com/forms/mv440H.pdf

I hate to disagree Doghead, but I have not found any text in the regs that do not allow you to haul a trailer.
Here is the link to the reg itself. The relevant text,section 401-7 (G) is way down the page:

New York Vehicle and Traffic Law Section 401 - Registration Of Motor Vehicles; Fees; Renewals. - New York Attorney Resources - New York Laws

I would offer that there are a lot of deuce owners who have m105's who would tell you that they haul trailers regularly,. I am picking up my m105 today and do not expect a problem. I also have an S250 on a generator trailer I haul on occasion and I have not had a problem with LEO's.

Now, if you are talking about hauling your boat or regular utility trailer for normal daily use that would be a violation of the regs. Here is the text from the application you sign:

"
Owner's Certification Statement
I certify that the vehicle I want to register with historical plates is owned and operated as an
exhibition piece or collector's item, and is used for participation in club activities, exhibits, tours,
parades, occasional transportation and similar uses, but is not used for general daily

transportation, in accordance with Section 401-7(G) of the Vehicle and Traffic Law."

All they can ask you to do is comply with your certififed signature. I was wrong on one thing in myprevious post; The Insurance card must say HISTORIC on it.

Just my two cents

RL

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Best if you ask your insurer and your local State DOT inspectors.

We all do things "with no problems" but you may get bit in the butt, one day.

btw, I had JC Taylor before, and they did not allow towing anything(military or civilian).

Last edited:

rlwm211

It all goes back to the USE of the vehicle. I do not USE my deuce in any way that would contradict the regulation. I know several LEO's and their general opinion is that I am not exceeding my rights as far as being a MV owner under the Historic regs.

As I said in my previous post, if you are hauling trailers and engaging in such activities not in conjunction with your limited use as defined by the Historic vehicle regs you are just asking for it.

An example would be to register your m1008 (CUCV) historic, and then haul your camper on vacation, you are not abiding by the regulations and the certification that you signed when you were issued your registration.

I searched the regs and the controlling language is not specific about what you can do in the legitimate pursuit of your hobby. It is more of an exclusive discussion as it limits the use to "HOBBY SPECIFIC" activities.

Just my two cents

RL

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In NY, your trailer is covered by the towing vehicle(motorvehicle liability). If you have historic insurance from JC Taylor, you are not covered. That means if your M105trailer hits something, they will NOT cover it. That's a risk I would not take, therefore I changed companies.

Last edited:

rlwm211

In order for the insurance to meet State specifications it must meet the same standards as any other vehicle insurance. The historic designation denotes a special use, offers the insurance company a limited liability but cannot be written to exclude any "required" coverages set forth in NYS avehicle insurance mandates.

The liability will cover any incident where you are at fault, including the towed trailer. What is not covered is the physical value of the trailer. JC Taylor insurance is full coverage with comphrehensive and Collision. I checked my policy that is the stipulation.

Just my two cents

RL

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you read your policy, or call and ask the specific question? JC Taylor told me very clearly, I could not tow my M105 trailer with my M35a2 that I had insured with them.

I asked more than once.

rlwm211

In response to Doghead I just had a conversation with JC Taylor and they advised my trailer is covered for Liability behind my deuce and that I can get Comp and COllision on my trailer for its value if I would like to.
I am sorry this reponse took so long, but I was waiting for a reply to my call to JC Taylor.

I do not wish to create an arguement here, I do have extensive experience in dealing with insurance companies and policies from my years as the corporate go to individual for our company's insurance policies. I have had the priviledge of dealing with the DOT laws and our compliance to them especially when they changed back in the late 80's and early 90's and had to keep the records for the truck mileages and maintainence as well as mileage tax computations and I also coordinated driver training and CDL preparation and testing.
I will admit that some of my experiences are not as relevant as I have been out of the business for several years but I do understand NYS DMV regs and Vehicle and traffic regs pretty well.

Just my two cents

RL

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can believe they can't get the information correct, to all their customers. For my first policy with them, the broker told me that they(JC Taylor) didn't insure Military collector vehicles, when I told them I got their number from an ad in an MV magavine, they insisted they could not help me! Later I contacted them myself and they started a policy with little difficulty.

They (JC Taylor) lost me as a costumer (5 policies). I could not have been told more clearly, contrary to what they are telling you. They did offer to insure my trailer also(additional liability policy)

Oh well....

I do not wish to create an arguement here,
I didn't mean to sound like I was arguing, just relaying my personal experience...

Last edited:
well, jc taylor wouldnt issue me historical insurance because of a recent fender bender. so i had the ol lady insure it under her name. she gets there and has to come all the way home because the woman didnt like my signiture, says it isnt mine!! redo the paperwork,sign it all nicey nice, ol lady goes back. tells me it cost $370 for the regi and they wont issue a title!! she told her to keep the signed virginia title and my new regi for proof of ownership. wtf!! im ready to go down there and get locked up!:evil:

rlwm211

Did you register it "Historical" or did you register it Commercial? If it was commercial that would explain the very high cost. You probably paid sales tax as well.

With DMV, you MUST BE PATIENT no matter HOW STUPIDLY they are acting. Lose your cool, and you will wait until **** freezes over and pay for it too!

Just my two cents

RL

rlwm211

What is sad is that the local offices are not staffed by DMV employees. They are employees of the clerks office for the county you are in. This creates a situation where you are at the mercy of the confidence and the experience of the person you are talking to at the moment.

You would think that the the employees in Albany would be on the ball and unfortunately that is not always the case. I have had the priviledge of dancing the dance from office to office, branch to branch and all of this because a person at a particlular office was unwilling to process the request you have even if it is legal and within their authority to do so.

My suggestion is to find an office, even if it is in the next county, and if they are helpful and willing to do what you know is right and within the regulations keep going back to them, be polite always and patience is the only tool you have to counter any issues that come up.

Just my two cents

RL

LanceRobson

The Auburn, NY (Cayuga County) DMV has a couple of folks who are very knowledge in dealing with old vehicles, including MVs. There is one gal in particular, Jo Anne. who has been very sharp and helpful. It may take a couple of trips to the window to get all the paperwork correct but it has been, overall, a pretty good bunch to work with.

JC Taylor will not write insurance to anyone under 25 years of age and, at least in my case, has me sign a separate piece of paper agreeing to not let anyone of that age operate the vehicles. They also had me sign a disclaimer against operating the truck with anyone in the bad for any reason. Some of the pictures I've sent them to get coverage were with trailers hooked up or with several trailers in the background and that subject never came up.

I agree with the above statements that they can be very inconsistent with their rules and underwriting. I've never been asked for a picture of the vehicle inside it's "garage" but other local folks who have applied at roughly the same time have had to get pictures of the vehicle inside the garage....Go figure?

Lance

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks