• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New young guy with a XM211 and lots of questions.

BalooGreen

Howdy everyone. I just bought a 1953 XM211 and comes with that are a few problems and lots of questions. I'm just 19, so any pieces of advice big or small will be greatly appreciated. I'm currently going to college full time and working 2 jobs. One as a docent/tour guide at a civil war plantation and then a worker at a formula 1 car shop during the week. Thanks for yall looking.

~Tyler

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to Steel Soldiers. Great bunch of folks here. Be patient and read as
much as you can. You sometimes have to search a bit, but most of it is here.
Good Luck

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the Early Deuce Decent Docent Formula One racing Team, the EDDDFORT. I'm also 19....X2.75 and drive my 56' 6x6 M135 like a formula car. The big question is, whatcha gonna do with That? I decided to go original, use it for parades and as a dedication platform to my military buddies. Congratulations on the purchase and let us know what you need to get your new ride on the track.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For one thing, on the bottom front of the transmission there is a large cover held on by many bolts. Under the transmission case are plugs labeled "water" and "oil". This bottom compartment is the oil cooler/heater for the transmission. Drain the coolant by removing the "water " plug then remove the front cover. Make sure all of any settled in crud is washed out of this compartment. It is a low point in the cooling system so lots of it likes to settle there. If there is enough crud there to be covering part of the internal element, it will affect the cooling and warming of the transmission oil. Probably garden hose pressure will be enough to clean it out. You do not want to damage the internal element you see in there; it has the transmission oil in it.
In cold weather this "cooler" keeps the transmission oil at engine tempreature and in hot weather it helps cool the transminniopn if the temperature there gets higher than engine oil temperature.

dmetalmiki

Welcome to the site, hobby, friendships and (very many) events to come. Starting out young is the way to go, And keeps the hobby and 'green stock' rolling.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome Tyler, was a long time ago I also was 19, in college, with one job, and bought a M211 with some issues as well. Mine had a thrown rod! I fixed that, and drove that truck for years. Still have it 34 years later. Hope you follow suit!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks