• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newb from SE MI w/ M880

MattL

I grabbed the driver's side a couple of weeks ago. I will get to that shortly, I have to patch the end of the inner fender before I stick that new fender on...

MattL

I'm in White Lake.

I bought a fender from another member who's also local, and he mentioned that there are somewhat regular get-togethers somewhere, but I can't remember where....

Perhaps he will chime in? Or maybe the info is in the regional forum...

So you actually found an ignition key screwed to the front sheet metal? That's wild. I'll have to look to see if there is one in my M882. Welcome from Ohio. M882s are fun trucks to drive, but the radiator support can be crumbly from unseen rust. Mine is, but it doesn't seem to be too involved yet.

michigandon

Welcome to the group, from a fella that grew up in Plymouth!

My core support has been patched as well, quite poorly I should add. :( I have another in a parts truck, but I decided that it was only marginally better than the one I already had, so I decided it wasn't worth the effort to swap it out. :/

MattL

The core supports on these seem to be common problems. Don't get me started on Mopar's rust proofing strategy (or complete lack there of). The core support has an outer reinforcement layer that sandwiches the thinner metal of the actual support on the bottom. I had to repair the replacement support I bought, and none of the metal is treated underneath, so the support was assembled from bare stampings and then painted. It's no wonder all these trucks rusted away...

I have made some good progress over the last few weeks, I am now rolling again, the only to-do item left is to finish relaying the headlights. My ammeter had melted my cluster, so I redid that by bypassing it and picking up a non-melted cluster from ebay, and I'm relaying the headlights to further reduce current/ heat load at the bulkhead connector.

I also had to re-do my exhaust as my y-pipe was swiss cheese, and thanks to another post on here located the right one. I had a bunch of 3" pipe left from another project, so I now have a loud exhaust. Now that isn't leaking from a million rust holes, it sounds much better!

I have some before and after pics of the front that I need to put up, but they are on my other PC.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks