• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newb from Texas

Moto Moto

New guy from Texas. I currently do not have a military vehicle, but I am in the process of building a 1991 Jeep YJ with my 10 yr old son and 3yr old girl (can't keep these knuckleheads out of the garage!!). It's torn apart now for a diesel conversion and a spring over axle build... I joined here to mostly get ideas for the paint and body. A little about me: PS Army 1998-2008, got out as an E-6(P) MOS: 63Y, H...can fix anything wheeled or tracked in the Army. Also a Paratrooper, babysitter, marriage counselor, janitor:p...Anyway nice to meet you guys...Thanks for an excellent website.

Scarecrow1

Hello and welcome from SC look forward to seeing your post. Take care with those little ones . I had three sons to chase after when the were growing up now unless they need somsthing they can't be found :p

Stan Leschert

Welcome in. You'll find a ton of really nice people here. Some smart ones too, but I don't profess to be one of the latter! I'm still learnig the hard way.
Green Trucks are not a hobby, but more of an addiction!
Wonder if my health plan will cover that one!

Moto Moto

Thanks guys....actually picked up the motor for the Jeep last night...bought a 1980 Mercedes 300SD with a OM617 I-5 Turbo Diesel...bought it for $500 and drove it home in 19 degree weather last night with no heat!!!!...Hopefully I can get started on it this weekend.

jbingvtx

Thanks guys....actually picked up the motor for the Jeep last night...bought a 1980 Mercedes 300SD with a OM617 I-5 Turbo Diesel...bought it for $500 and drove it home in 19 degree weather last night with no heat!!!!...Hopefully I can get started on it this weekend.
that is an unusual power choice. Why did you decide to use a Mercedes diesel?

Snarky

It's not an usual choice at all. The mercedes 3.0L I-5 diesel is a small, tough, reliable and simple engine, if you want diesel motor in your jeep it would be a pretty unfortunate choice to power it with a old chevy diesel if you wanted it to last a while. Most American diesels are heeeeavy and large. The I-5 about 125 horse power with 180 ft/lbs of torque or so at of a reasonably sized package. It's no speed demon, but you don't need a lot of power in a jeep. German diesels are nothing to scoff at, the multifuel was originally designed by MAN, while some would say that's not a good example, it IS a multifuel, and it's been around for a long while and still in service in the deuces we own. Then you have the unimogs.

Last edited:

jbingvtx

I guess by unusual I meant that I haven't seen that done, I don't doubt the German engineering. I suppose that if someone told me they were putting a diesel in a jeep I would first think of Japanese diesel such as an isuzu. I don't know why, thats just what would leap to mind.

reloader64

Welcome to the site. I don't know where Krum is, but there are Steel Soldiers all over Texas. Lone Star MVPA is located in Austin, if you ever get out this way. lonestar-mvpa.org, if you want to look us up.

Scott

jimmcld

Well I know where Krum is. It's just up the road!

Come and visit us some time:

Vietnam Veterans of America
Motor Pool
2038 W. University
Denton, Texas

940-368-7560

Moto Moto

Well I know where Krum is. It's just up the road!

Come and visit us some time:

Vietnam Veterans of America
Motor Pool
2038 W. University
Denton, Texas

940-368-7560
What a coincidence...I saw you guys the other night at the Krum Christmas Parade and it kind of reminded me to sign up for SS...We will be there soon...Thank You!!

Awesome vehicles by the way.

Moto Moto

There are a lot of these being done right now...I was actually looking for a 4BT but people want amn arm and a leg for them...and rightfully so...I happened to find a good deal on this, I had the money....and it is going to be a challenge.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
(we are a bad influence:))
I can vouch for that. When I met Pawnshop I had 1 MV (1954 M37). Since then, 3 M1009s, 5 M35A2s, 1 M1010, 1 M101A1, 1 MEP003 Genset on M116A1 trailer, 1 M105A3, 4 M68 Gas Duct Heaters, a lubrication trailer, AND another M37. It's getting expensive knowing these guys.