• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newb here, hi

Skrilex

Banned
Just won a 1985 m998 and I'm eagerly awaiting paperwork to clear. It's a basic unit, missing a few parts. I'm wantingnhard doors and top for it but I don't think I can shake free another 5$k for these so I'll be taking a stab at building my own. Does anyone have cnc cut files for the door shapes?

Heres my ugly baby

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please add your state to your location, as the rules request.

jeffy777

Just won a 1985 m998 and I'm eagerly awaiting paperwork to clear. It's a basic unit, missing a few parts. I'm wantingnhard doors and top for it but I don't think I can shake free another 5$k for these so I'll be taking a stab at building my own. Does anyone have cnc cut files for the door shapes?

Heres my ugly baby
AS far as I am concerned the are no ugly HMMWV's ... Ok, some are ugly ... But yours is not ugly.

Congratulations! I take it your a Machinist... vinyl/cloth doors and top can be found for about $2500. Manufacturing a top and doors for 5k can be done ... I think ... but it will require some great effort. Just my two cents.

NormB

Welcome to the madness. If you can figure out a way to manufacture quality locking hard doors and undercut the competition hundreds of HMMWV owners will beat a path to your door.

There was someone else on here who was looking into the possibilities, do a search on the topic.

Meanwhile, welcome to the madness.

Enjoy.

Norm

Skrilex

Banned
Thanks guys. Ya it's one of those life long dreams to own one of these so I'm pretty stoked. Don't know what I'll brew up for bodywork but I've done some interesting projects on other vehicles in the past and I have a pretty awesome shop and welding equipmet at my disposal so I may get kinda crazy. Maybe a slide in camper back and a sporty smaller top for local use?

Mine has what appears to be a bullet hole in the oil pan so it's sold as non runner. I was initially thinking this would be a no brainer and do 6bt swap but the little I can glean on that swap is that it's fairly involved so I'm now debating the wisdom in that choice. I understand a lot of purists like the stock engines but I haven't had great luck with the few I've owned in other trucks. Lots of options. I'd be interested in hearing what people have used that would be less computerized than modern stuff. Are there any other neat bombproof engines that can easily fit and give the truck a little extra power, a little extra economy? Not looking for 4 wheel drifts or to break other stuff by overpowering. A 2.7L Mercedes sprinter engine would be a great power plant in one of these but maybe a bit on the modern side. The one in my van has amazing poop right away and fantastic economy.

Last edited:

Action

You don't want to buy a top and doors, but you want to put a non-original engine in it???
IIRC, another member on here made doors from wood first, then used them for patterns to make aluminum half doors.

See if the engine turns over at all. If It got a hole in the pan while driving, and they kept going until the motor locked up, you will want to replace it. If it turns, you may just need a new pan and maybe the oil pump.

twisted60

Welcome from South Florida, it is true this is an addiction, but better than others...Glad you got 1 of your dreams fulfilled, look into joining your local MVPA and watch this site, ask questions and most of all learn.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks