• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newb questions...

IHASFIP

Hello all. I am really thinking about buying a deuce in the near future. I have been looking all over my area and within a few hundred miles. I have found some for 4500 that don't compare to some of the ones I see selling on the internet for 2000. I also have found some for 3000 that are nicer than ones selling for 4500. I was curious about govliquidation.com. I made an account and I am watching one that is only a few hours from me, that way I could drive there and throw it on a flatbed and haul it back. I was just wondering how hard are they to deal with? Also what about buying sight unseen? They aren't very descriptive, they just say runs with a jump start. I also noticed alot of them are in condition "H7" which states that they are unrepairable, so on so forth? What exactly does that mean? Lots of them say they were drove on lot but listed as "H7". Also how often does someone buy one off of their website for under 1000$? I see hundred with no bids. And a few with 2k$-4k$ bids? Is there anything in particular to look for in the pictures before bidding? And should I wait until the last second to bid? Thanks,

D

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you don't inspect beforehand it's a roll of the dice. Don't rely on any of the discriptions or condition codes. You can't judge by the bids you see untill the end of the auction. Most of the bids come in in the last 30 min. or so. I was watching some sell today that was in the $2,000 range but at that price I'd rather buy one from a private sale for $2,500 to $3,000 (they can be had for that).

There has been many threads that tell you all you need to know about GL. Try a search and see what you come up with :wink:.

IHASFIP

Ok so I found a huge article on olive drab, but I am still confused on what the condition deals mean. What is the H7 and what not all about? And I searched on here but really couldn't find anything. Anyone want to point me to a thread that might have some info in it.

D

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did not mind paying more for one from a person that had already checked and fixed what needed done. i paid $4000 (less added-on shelter), and drove it home 1700 miles to Dallas TX with no trouble other than the shifter coming off in my hand. Fixed by wrench on the spot.

There is no shame either way, you pays yer money and takes yer chances. At GL you pay quite a bit less, in return for increased risk and no recourse.

IHASFIP

Hm, I guess you are right. I should probably find an individual selling one somewhere and drive up and get it. I guess I just need to decide whether or not to ship it or haul it back. I would assume you could haul one back on a one ton dually and a 40ft dual tandem gooseneck right? Well I know you could because I have hauled alot more with my 3/4 ton ford. Hm.....

D

50shooter

IHASFIP

You could haul a house w/that setup.

You may spend a year on here going back and forth with buy private / buy GL etc. My 1st deuce came from a local FD that had turned this truck into a parade machine. It is beautiful and was "well maintaned". I put about 30 miles or so on the fantastic truck before it broke down and we had to tow it home. It was nothing more than fuel issues from only being driven a few mile per year. This truck was stored inside since 1994 ish and yet it had problems.

On the other hand one of the other nicest deuces I've seen came from GL that had left service a few months b4 I bougt it. I was always under the impression that deuces leaked from the factory and that was part of the standard lubrication system. This one could be parked on my living room floor. From the same sale as this truck I picked up another that blew oil all over the place. It ran just like the auction description said. Problem was it needed gaskets, seals, lots of oil etc.

Long story short is unless you buy from someone like the long time SS members who know almost everything about these trucks, you can get just as lucky either way. It is fun to look, more fun to buy, and fun to work on regardless. The guys on this site are more valuable than any shop. If you need help there is probably already a post regarding it. Be aware that deuces do multiply. You think one would make you happy and content and then you have 8.

Good Luck no matter which way you choose.

rivired

ya i havnt dealt with GL..but im a private party person...u can go look..drive and ask questions that GL wont have an answer to..

for instants my deuce i bought ..i had a brake dragging on the trip home and started to smoke..i called my seller and he drove all the way to me to help me out with the big wrench i didnt bring....GL deff wont do that..plus SF 97's and EUC ..i would never wanna deal with all that BS.