• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newb starting Deuce bobber with extra parts for sale and questions in Tennessee

snakeater

New here so take it easy on me. Been lurking for a while, but need some help on a few q's about my upcoming project. Have a 66 m-715 already, and just recently purchased a 71 m-35 with the winch and continental multifuel. Taking it to the shop this week to start the bobbed rear end. I have all the parts to complete the conversion with the exception of a few.

1. Other than turning the fuel up on the continental, is there any way to wring more power out of it? I thought I remembered a larger turbo upgrade mentioned, but can't seem to find any info. Also has anyone ever added an intercooler with good results?

2. Are the frame rails on the m-35 heat treated? When I drill the frame for the new rear spring perches, to bolt them on is welding necessary for the perches as well?

3. Parts I need..........105 trailer box. 20" beadlocks, Front u-bolts... m-35 heater setup

parts I have for sale or trade...............

m-35 bed in perfect condition, standard non-drop sides
complete rear suspension and one complete rockwell
11 brand new titan tires 900-20(still have the center lines in them)
7- stock duece wheels in very good shape. Recently painted

I will sell the new tires mounted on the wheels for 100 each plus shipping
bed will probably bring 200 for scrap, so that is fair I think. Let me know if you guys need some of these rear suspension pieces. If it is easy to remove during the conversion you can have it free, you pay for shipping. I am located in jackson, tn. If anyone would like to come take part in the festivities give me a call------------731-608-2824. Thanks Snakeater

Flea

If you were a little closer, I'd take a couple wheels/tires. But I don't think I can justify driving across the state for parts. Good luck with them.

As far as the more power, grab a pyrometer and crank up the fuel until you hit 1100 pre-turbo or 900 post turbo (IIRC). DR. Foster was working on a turbo upgrade a time ago, but I haven't heard anything on this for about a year at least. The intercooler is kind of moot -- the engine coolant cicrulates in a jacket around the intake manifold; if you got air charge temps below coolant temp, you might see a slight lowering in egt's, but the coolant-heated intake would negate much of the temperature change.

As a benefit, the ability to function properly in cold weather is a big plus, and the intake manifold acts as somewhat of an intercooler at higher boost levels and intake charge temps.:p

55Cameo

I would not weld the perches because they are castiron. Bolt them on with grade 8 bolts and they will hold just fine. better than the hot rivets that came on them from the factory. As far as the tires rubbing, if you don't plan on taking it offroad much you probably won't have much of a problem as long as the wheels are centered, example: 12" wide with 6" of backspacing. That is what I used on mine for the 52's. (But I did put 8" of lift on mine) They won't rub anywhere on the frame, but maybe on the fenders. Good luck with your build. Also, I don't think that the frame is heat treated, I welded mine back together in the rear and haven't had any problems with cracking and I have snatched on the pintle plenty hard pulling other stuck trucks out. :)

snakeater

good deal......I made alot of headway today. Got the bed off, wiring removed, brake lines removed and the tandems removed. Can't work on it tomorrow, but wednesday I should be able to get the rear spring on and the rear axle back in place and plumbed. That is my goal anyway. This is going alot faster than I had planned. I tried everything to get those dang rivets out of the tandem carriage without using the torch. No-way. finally burned off the heads and used a 20 ton jack to seperate the frame from the carriage. Worked like a charm. Would have went alot faster if I had had one more set of hands..........you know who you are. Extra parts are starting to pile up, anyone need anything before I make a trip to the scrap yard? Snakeater

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks