• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newb thinking of buying Deuce in CA to haul 4x4. Historical Reg issues?

thordehr

I've done a search and haven't found exactly the info I'm looking for.
I am thinking of buying my first MV, a Deuce.

I've been talking to 100dollarman about getting one of his 2's or maybe a 3.

My idea is to get some ramps and use it to haul my 4x4 on the bed to various offroading areas.

I'm told it can be registered as a historical vehicle in CA.

Questions to people who have done this:

How much does reg, and insurance typically cost for this?

Who do you insure it through?

What are the limitations once it's registered like allowable use, mileage limits, weight limits?

Speaking of that, my 4x4 is a heavy thing, what IS the bed capacity on the Deuce?

Anything else I should know about a Deuce in CA?

Thanks in advance, I've been lurking a long time and only recently become a member to take better advantage of all this knowledge.

Thor

Carl_in_NH

Just a couple points I can answer;

Deuce can carry 10,000 pounds in the bed on a surfaced road - 5,000 pounds cross-country.

I believe it requires a CDL in CA - because of three axels; check with someone else that knows the laws of that overly restrictive and legislation happy state.

stumps

An additional thing to look into: California has a real problem with vehicles that have old smoggy diesel engines in them. Be sure that registering your deuce doesn't obligate you to meet any strict pollution requirements. Cali has gone so far as to ban the use of certain offroad diesel engines in generators and heavy equipment.

And, most historic registrations forbid your putting anything of significance into the bed of your truck. I am pretty sure that putting your 4x4 in the bed would be considered hauling a load.

-Chuck

saddamsnightmare

April 14th, 2010.

thordehr:

You will not have any problems carrying the 4X4 in the deuce on roads unless it is over 10,000lbs,cross country limit is 5,000 lbs. The question is, will California let you haul anything with Historical Plates? Probably not. The option is to plate as a truck and pay as a truck.....
See our member's problems theread with the ticket from NCSHP for hauling in an underplated historical deuce......

Hate to rain on the parade,:???: but reality always intrudes sooner or later. Plus, why can't the 4X4 travel on it's own wheels?

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:D

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How much does reg, and insurance typically cost for this?

Who do you insure it through?

What are the limitations once it's registered like allowable use, mileage limits, weight limits?

Anything else I should know about a Deuce in CA?
I have nothing to ad, except to say I think you are asking very good questions, and at the right time!

Best wishes and welcome to the site.

Rick

markmontana

I recently bought a CA registered deuce and the paperwork indicated the owner paid about $290 to register it as historic. It had CA historic pates on it. He also had it insured thru Gulfway (I insure several of my other trucks with them too).

Hope that helps- I don't know about the restrictions, the truck has made it's home in another state. I'm sure you could go online at CA DMV and find info.

And I can recommend 100dollarman!

thordehr

This is why I can't drive it one the road:

I have some numbers for:
Central reg sacramento 916 657 6560
CA DL Policy 916 657 6550
CHP Commercial 916 445-1865

Going to talk to all them pretty throughly to see what I can do before diving all the way in.

Have to talk to Geico about insurance too. Might be changing as it is time for renewal.

Curious. What is the bed carrying capacity with a single axle? Any guesses?

Thanks for all the info so far!

Seth_O

I just started doing all this research myself, as I am in sacramento and getting ready to purchase my first M35A2.

After several phone calls and quite a bit of time online I have found the following:

• fee structure for the M35A2 is no different than any other pickup truck
  • vehicles 3 axles and >6000lbs GVW require a commercial class B license
  • vehicles 3 axles and <6000 lbs GVW are ok with a class C license

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/comlhdbk/comlhdbk.pdf

If you remove an axle, DMV/CHP consider it a regular private pickup truck.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

sti-nkr

I'm insured by State Farm, I have mine insured as "farm use" $244 a year... only thing is "I'm not supposed to tow a trailer" but they'll never know.

Carl_in_NH

only thing is "I'm not supposed to tow a trailer" but they'll never know.
If you're in an accident towing a trailer they _will_ know, and you won't be covered. It's really that simple. This is the most expensive money you'll ever 'save'. Cheap insurance, or operating outside of the parameters they have stated in the policy, could cost you everything you've ever earned - or will earn - if someone sues you.

Bighurt

I just started doing all this research myself, as I am in sacramento and getting ready to purchase my first M35A2.

After several phone calls and quite a bit of time online I have found the following:

• fee structure for the M35A2 is no different than any other pickup truck
  • vehicles 3 axles and >6000lbs GVW require a commercial class B license
  • vehicles 3 axles and <6000 lbs GVW are ok with a class C license
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/comlhdbk/comlhdbk.pdf

If you remove an axle, DMV/CHP consider it a regular private pickup truck.

Hope that helps.
This must be a change it used to be 10K, when I had my lisence. Always good to check these things first.

Flyingvan911

How wide is your 4x4? You might see how much it will cost for heavier plates. Missouri has historic restrictions so I'm going to register mine for 24,000 lbs. Basic liability will be about $150/6 months through Allstate with no restrictions. Don't cut any corners. Don't be sorry, be correct.

greenjeepster

Yeah those historic plates are cheap until you get fined for hauling a load with the vehicle plated wrong. One of our members recently learned that lesson to the tune of $630.00

As far as the load capacity of the deuce bed goes. The loader in my avitar picture put 15000 lbs on mine and it had no problem handling it. I am properly licensed to haul a load like that though.

Last edited:

BBELL

You need to check the height of your truck in the deuce. There are legal heights not sure about CA. Might not be an issue but figured i better warn you.

Brian