• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

newbe M1008 questions

ktm25089

Hello,
I just received my new toy.M1008 ex-Greek army.I'm new to this truck and very new to diesels.I'm machinist and have a complete shop.
I've made a quick search and downloaded all the manuals that i found for this truck.But because i'm new to diesel i confused a little.I will post some photos and if you can give me please a fast explain of the circled items.The truck have very difficult starting,when it will start it idles but stalls when i will touch the gas pedal.I know that i donta have the glow plugs installed but today we had 40c external temperature and it doesnt start.i was used some ehter spray to start it.I know that is very bad for this engine but i wanted to start it just to listen if it has a bearing problems etc.

Attachments

ktm25089

from left to right:
i jump wired the yellow circle item and heard the "click" shut off solenoid?
when i jump wired the blue item no movement (is this normal?)cold advance solenoid?
what is the item in the black circle?throttle position sensor?

second photo we have 12v posotive on the yellow circled bus bar?

third photo on the yellow we have 24vpositive and on the blue earth correct?

fourth photo red (heater?),grey(vacuum switch??what is this for??),white(water sensor,is there a light in the dash?)?and blue,yellow which hose is the feed and which is the return?

Thank you
George
sorry for the questions but i want to clear them in my head.

Last edited:

Terracoma

from left to right:
i jump wired the yellow circle item and heard the "click" shut off solenoid?
when i jump wired the blue item no movement (is this normal?)cold advance solenoid?
what is the item in the black circle?throttle position sensor?
I believe the yellow circled item is actually the cold idle advance, and the blue circled item is the high idle solenoid.

The high idle solenoid isn't strong enough (neither of mine are, at least) to move the injector arm on its own, so you'll need to push the arm towards the firewall to help the solenoid move. The pink wire there in your photo is connected to the fuel shut-off unit on the injector pump.

You are correct on the black circled item, throttle position valve.

second photo we have 12v positive on the yellow circled bus bar?
Correct. I've also seen it called the 'diamond block' a few times, which may help with any future searching.

Another thing that I noticed in this photo, just to the driver's side of the 12v bus, it looks like your glow plug relay has been removed? The wires that are normally hooked up to it appear disconnected and taped up. Not sure if this is your repair-in-progress, but I thought I would make a note of it.

third photo on the yellow we have 24vpositive and on the blue earth correct?
Correct again. Yellow circle is positive 24v bus bar, and blue is negative 24v bus bar.

Careful grounding items here, as I believe the negative bus bar passes 24v, rather than 12v.

fourth photo red (heater?),grey(vacuum switch??what is this for??),white(water sensor,is there a light in the dash?)?and blue,yellow which hose is the feed and which is the return?
Red circle: Fuel heater
Blue circle: Fuel inlet (into filter, from the fuel pump)
Yellow circle: Fuel outlet (out of filter, to the injector pump)
Gray circle: Diagnostic sensor ... I think it's fuel pressure?
White circle: Water in fuel sensor

You mentioned in your first post that the truck idles, but stalls when you press the accelerator? This could be caused by a clogged fuel filter or (more likely) air in the fuel system somewhere. If you check over all the fuel lines (both rubber and steel hard lines) and don't find any damage, kinked hoses, or loose connections, then the fuel pressure diagnostic sensor on the fuel base may be your culprit, as the seal on this sensor tends to deteriorate over time and allow air into the fuel system.

Thank you
George
sorry for the questions but i want to clear them in my head.
Hopefully that helps, I know that I was new to CUCVs not all that long ago, myself.

[thumbzup]

Last edited:

generalgeneric

As stated by Terracoma, the black-circled item in pic #1 is the throttle position valve or VRV (vacuum regulator valve). It has two vacuum lines. One goes to vacuum pump at back of engine and the other goes to the vacuum modulator on pass. side of transmission. BTW, I just posted asking how one gets a tool in to listen the back bolt of the VRV / throttle valve.

ktm25089

Ok,after some quick repairs,change fluids the truck started without the help of any spay etc.Idles steady and revs good.One small problem if i will press the gas pedal a little faster the engine revs but when i will left the pedal it stops.Why this?
as i see the engine from the front which is the gen1 and which is gen2??

Keith_J

Ok,after some quick repairs,change fluids the truck started without the help of any spay etc.Idles steady and revs good.One small problem if i will press the gas pedal a little faster the engine revs but when i will left the pedal it stops.Why this?
as i see the engine from the front which is the gen1 and which is gen2??

Could be a failing injection pump. Most mechanical diesel injection pumps use a governor to control the engine, the throttle pulls on a spring which overcomes the centrifugal governor force, where the two forces balance is the governed engine speed. When certain parts of the pump wear, the centrifugal force of the governor can cause the fuel control mechanism to stick. So coming off a higher RPM and releasing the throttle causes the fuel control to go to full stop.

Either replace with an overhauled injector pump or download the service manual and replace the parts. Careful, this is a complex machine.

Im with matt,Change that fuel filter first. Both of my m1008s acted funny then i changed the fuel filters and wow what a diffrence.I change my fuel filter every time i change the oil :beer: Good Luck, and welcome to the madness your in good hands here :]

ktm25089

newbie hit again!!!!!
Please can you tell me if there is a drain plug to the fuel tank to drain the old diesel mixed with water!!!!???????????
Is there a plug,bolt,valve or something in the engine to take the trapped air out of the cooling system?I just changed the lower radiator hose and drained all the coolant.

Thanks
George

Keith_J

No, there is no fuel tank drain plug. Nor are there air vents for the cooling system.

The stock fuel filter has both drain and vent. But it would be best to drop the tank to clean out completely.

ktm25089

so,for the cooling,i have only to fill the radiator and the expansion tank on the mark and start the engine?check again and that's all??

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks