• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbee story & questions

lw50mg

Hi all,I'm new to this site and these vehicles. I just bought a 1971 Jeep M813A1 and a 1954 Checker Cap M105E3. I with my sons drove them home over 180 miles from NJ to Pa, ( my first time driving a large truck ) It was fantastic. I kept to the right on all the highways, (sub 50mph). Everyone was great, high signs and salutes the whole way. The truck ran very well once I got used to it. We had a ball on our (road trip),. I'm glad I learned how to drive it in Jersey, the roads are flat, gradual and wide. By me in PA they are STEEP. SHARP AND NARROW. Thank goodness for ear plugs, this truck is as loud as a Cessna 172.
Ok down to brass tax. i have a boat load of questions. I'd like to start with How do you wire in a battery cut off switch. Is one switch enough or do you need to separate the parallel portions of the 4 batteries as well? Second which switch, a Perko 973DP? Is that strong enough? Second I need an exhaust pipe, does any one have one for sale at a reasonable price? The cheapest I've found was $170 with shipping, seems very high. I'll stop here for now on the questions.
Feel free to ask me questions. I am amazed with my new truck, It's KOOL just to look at. I'll end here, again, Thanks and good will to each and everyone,. Laddie

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I'd like to start with How do you wire in a battery cut off switch. Is one switch enough or do you need to separate the parallel portions of the 4 batteries as well? Second which switch, a Perko 973DP? Is that strong enough?
Laddie, One switch is enough or at least it works for me. I placed mine on the neg ground wire coming off the left rear battery - post. All I had to do was remove the wire from the - post place it on one side of the switch then used a separate battery cable from the parts store to run from the other switch post back to the - lug on the battery. Drilled a hole for the switch on the left rear of the sheet metal and mounted it. I used the switch below, you should be able to get it local, if not these guys have them. Welcome to the 5T club! Racer Wholesale

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What part of the exhaust pipe do you need?
Here is a place that has components. You can buy the parts pre made and make up what you need.
Dynaflex Products

lw50mg

drGreg: ' I need the pipe from muffler to upper stack. Muffler & top pipe look new.
Also I just found an air leak. Where can I get the air hose from engine to chassis (approx. 1' long? Thanks guys. Laddie

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks