• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie Exhaust Question

jesuscowboy

I'm new to deuces but am falling fast; I read several post about how loud a deuce is and the manual and others on here calling for ear plugs. My question what's the deal is there no muffler, length of tubes, or what? Is it possible to have a deuce be super quiet; I am planning on bobbing and heavy modifications so can I make the noise from engine as quite as a V8 or at least a powerstroke diesel.

dc3coyote

UHM...why? why not just get a powerstroke if you want quite.
Napa does sell a muffler though its about 90 bucks
The noise is what made me fall in love with mine

scooter01922

Yup, no muffler at all. Out of the turbo and up the stack pretty much. The earplugs are a really good move unless you think being deaf would be neat...lol. Although i have yet to actually hear a deuce with one installed, i keep reading about how much quieter the truck is with the NAPA muffler mod. As far as quiet goes i'm not sure your looking at the right truck for that goal.......they are just plain loud all around.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've driven Sermis' deuce with the NAPA muffler, it was alot quieter, well below the ned for protection. That said, i have driven my own truck throughout the USA and although it's loud, never seemed to have hearing issues. The hardtop stops alot of the racket. Note the quieter the exhaust is made, the more a hundreds of little sounds will be heard.

jesuscowboy

so the NAPA muffler makes it more like a truck motor; I want it quite because some of the areas I would go require "quite" vehicles no open exhaust; glass paks; etc; I just want to make the thing as quite as possible

bottleworks

I search on mufflers will show you many pictures and the support bracket needed.... And where to buy the "NAPA Muffler" for much cheaper then what NAPA sells it for.

FreightTrain

Banned
RE: Re: Newbie Exhaust Question

well,they are dead quiet.......other than the sound of clicking from the ratchet.......or the DT460 in the tow rig hooked to the front bumper.

jatonka

Newbie exhaust question

The big muffler on the exhaust stack makes a blind spot on your right front corner and the exhaust is still noisy outside the truck. If you're gonna do serious mods to your new truck any way, move the exhaust back where it used to be, under the truck and up out by the back wheel. Now it's quiet, almost as good as a gas REO. JT

RE: Newbie exhaust question

I have been contemplating doing that Jatonka. taking the exhaust of the side and re-routing it to the back figured it would make it alot quiter. and would look alot cleaner on the truck.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Re: RE: Newbie Exhaust Question

OPCOM said:
Note the quieter the exhaust is made, the more a hundreds of little sounds will be heard.

I can't remember who here said it, but it was along the lines of "the muffler allowed me to hear a lot of stuff I wished I'd never heard"

rofl

dk8019

Mine's modded now as well, I like it, I can talk to the wife now going down the road, but the Deuce has no, I repeat, no sound killing material like a modern truck. The tranny is loud, the engine is loud, the road noise is loud, perhaps with additional material you could get it a bit quiter in there, but it's still louder than any truck I've ever driven.

Barrman

The muffler will keep it less noisy below 30 mph or so. Above that and all the other noises mentioned come into play and you will still make you want to cover your ears. My Gasser M35 is that way. I can't even hear the exhaust at idle or low speeds. But, once I get above 30 or so and it is just about as loud as my multifuel. Without the whistle that is.

5tonpuller

I put one on my 5 ton. Now I can hear my self think. Not saying the stack is bad. ( still like that sound ) But when I get to where I am going I can still hear.

randyscycle

If you want quiet, buy that Ford, Dodge, Chevy and roll up the windows, turn on the A/C, crank up the 6 speaker sound system, set the cruise, adjust the 12 way power seat to your liking, and drive on down to the Starbucks.

If you want a truck, leave the deuce exhaust alone and drive it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks