• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie finds Jackpot?

bkwudzhom

Found in east GA on the backside of some property and thought I would run it buy you guys for you experienced in put. Its been sitting "for about 2 yrs or so" and "it was running when we parked it" What kind of price do you think is reasonable. The data plate says M1028. Sorry bout the quality of the pics. All I had was the camera on my phone.
Thanks,
BK

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Front axle is worth a grand. See what you can get it for. I would not pretend to be an expert, just someone looking for an old work truck.

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ASK what the owner wants for it, KNOW what you're willing to give for it for a counter offer. You might get lucky, you might not. Hopefully you do!

hippiedude

I woudn`t even play with it , till you set a price and bring it home........$800.00 sounds good...offer $ 500.00 to see if your in the ballpark.....good luck... Tim

bkwudzhom

I was able to contact the guy,and lol he lol wants lol $3800 lol !!!!He said he knows all about it being a gas conversion and the 24v glow plugs. He has a "friend" that owes him a favor and is going to work on it and get it running. I figure I'll wait a couple of months and when he's ready to junk it and offer offer $500. I know it's mean of me but I may wind up with a bunch of new parts! Oh BTW it has 72,000 on the odometer.

msoumas

bkwudzhom said:
I was able to contact the guy,and lol he lol wants lol $3800 lol !!!!He said he knows all about it being a gas conversion and the 24v glow plugs. He has a "friend" that owes him a favor and is going to work on it and get it running. I figure I'll wait a couple of months and when he's ready to junk it and offer offer $500. I know it's mean of me but I may wind up with a bunch of new parts! Oh BTW it has 72,000 on the odometer.
Gas conversion? :?: :?:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
He might be thinking that - that is the gas motor that was converted to a diesel. Alot of people make that mistake.

JohnFire

These are not gas engines that were converted by GM to be diesels. These engines were designed as diesels from the ground up. I would definately hold off.

msoumas

gimpyrobb said:
He might be thinking that - that is the gas motor that was converted to a diesel. Alot of people make that mistake.
The one that people often call a "converted gas engine" is the 350 diesel, as seen in Cadillacs in the early 80's (my dad had one for a VERY short time). Funny thing about it is that even that one was never a "converted gas engine". People assumed that because 350ci was the same displacement as the obviously very popular small block 350 gas engine. It was actually designed from the ground up to be diesel, just very poorly so. :lol:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The odd thing about the Olds is every one of its shortcomings, engineering wise, is related to headbolts. If you stud one you will never have another failure. I've had several and loved every one of them. My last was an 80 Olds wagon that I stupidly sold. That was te red fuel rocket wagon.

msoumas

Recovry4x4 said:
The odd thing about the Olds is every one of its shortcomings, engineering wise, is related to headbolts. If you stud one you will never have another failure. I've had several and loved every one of them. My last was an 80 Olds wagon that I stupidly sold. That was te red fuel rocket wagon.
Didn't they lack a water separator, too?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks