• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie from NM

Thrust

Hello All, My name is Steven from NM. I’ve been a member since August of last year and purchased my Deuce from a SS member in October. It’s a 71 M35A2 multi-fuel turbo (non-whistler) w/w. It is in excellent condition. We go to the lake a lot during the summer and I have wanted one for awhile. I haven’t really posted before but have been monitoring this site every day at work all day long. I have learned a lot and have all of the TMs (Thanks Jatonka). You’ll be proud of the fact that I have not touched my winch and won’t until I fully understand the operating procedure. I have taken my truck to several tailgate football games and drive it to work at least once a week. I have been busy and have made several modifications already. I installed a Donaldson muffler which has made a huge difference in comfort level. Thanks to members who have previously installed the same muffler and posted pics and details. My biggest project has been installing a receiver hitch. I have a small 5th wheel (goose neck) camp trailer and there was hardly any info that I could find on hitches here. I started by ordering and installing the Draw-Tite 41936 hitch from etrailer. It has a 2 inch receiver opening and fits well. I was planning on using that as a starting point and building my goose neck hitch from there. During the install, I realized and came up with my own design that turned out awesome if I do say so myself. I ran 5 ft of 3 inch thick square tubing along the frame by mounting it in the exact hole I mounted the hitch in plus one more. There is a spacer plate that you should be able to see in the pictures. I can now invert the hitch which puts the receiver at the right level for my trailer. It gives me plenty of clearance to turn also. BTW my trailer is VERY small and light. With 4 bolts, I can switch the hitch to pull a regular trailer around the sandy areas of the lake. My buddy has a large toy hauler. After summer, I will remove the 5 foot beams (they are green now) and mount the hitch back up under the truck for regular use. Should be at the lake (Elephant Butte) near Memorial day or soon after. Thanks to all who take the time to post pics and help out fellow members. I’ll be glad to do the same.

Attachments

197thhhc

Welcome from Ohio. I didn't understand your hitch idea until I saw the pics of your truck with your camper. That is a really good idea. Did you sleeve the bolt holes where the bolts go through the tubing. That would be my only concern. [thumbzup]

Akicita

Interesting idea to build the hitch the way you did.
Congrats !
I can't imagine I would get away with anything like that here in Pennsylvania. Our vehicles have to be state inspected every year.
Enjoy your new toy !

PUZZLED

Welcome to the "posting" public. Like what you have done so far. Seems you are enjoying the beast as its meant to be [thumbzup]

Zepol95

Hi Steven! Great to see someone from my area. I bought my truck for the same reason to go out to Elephant Butte. I have the truck with the 5th wheel hitch that looks like a swim platform. I went through a lot more trouble than that, but it looks like a great idea!

Hope to see you out these this year. There is starting to be a nice number of us with deuces out there!

Attachments

Thrust

Thanks everyone. I couldn't have done it without the vast knowledge on this site. Zepol, that is an awesome set up. Look forward to meeting you at the lake.

Zepol95

nice looking truck but have have fun pulling the trailer you wont like it . :cookoo:

In our case, at the lake, you typically don't tow your trailer more than just a couple of miles. Mine is about a mile of travel from where I normally camp. You should see a big F350, chevy or a dodge trying to get these things out...very simply - they don't. Some areas of the beach are really sugar sand.

It tows the 5th wheel and the boat quite well. On the 5th wheel, hills are a problem though, so I see your point. I'd never do this on a highway.

91W350

If I did not get it done on day one, I certainly would have on day two. I used to work for a crane company and we used winches all the time, not only in the crane, but on the trucks loading the cranes. Our low boys had drop necks that folded flat out to mother earth, then you backed the crane up on the deck and used the winch to lift the trailer back to the 5th wheel. Whenever I get a new to me winch, I cannot resist the opportunity to go play, pull off all the cable, make sure it is spooled properly, winch things around..... I am looking forward to getting deuce with a winch or a winch for my deuce. They are an awesome tool, much more than most folks realize. Glen