• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie from North Iowa

dumpy

Hello from Iowa. I recently got a 1962 M51 Dump truck from my boss and know nothing about it. He used it around the farm to build field drives for awhile and put it away 3 years ago running. Now I got it finally got battery's charged and engine cranking but havent got it to fire. Replacing the plugs this weekend and the points and rotor are fairly new. Just looking at some tips to get this beast running. BTW its a 602ci inline 6 continental. Thanks alot. Cant wait to get this thing going.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dumpy congrats and welcome to the site! You truck obviously had a gas engine in it, which is no different than any other one, it needs fuel, air and spark to run, I would start by checking to see if you have spark at the plugs, if so then move to Fuel are you getting any to the carburator? if not then you need to look at fuel filters and then fuel pump, its really pretty simple, has fuel been sitting in the tank for the last 3 years? if so it needs to be drained and more than likely your filters are also messed up and will need to be replaced! feel free to PM me if I can be of more help and please keep us posted on your progress
KK

dumpy

Hey got this old girl running gangster style. So she runs very smooth but I have a small Faucet pump (4-7 psi 35GPH) it idles the engine just fine but once you get her going she will cut out. So I was wondering where would I start for getting a New fuel pump for this thing? Plus looking for plug wires. Any input would be helpful. Thanks Ryan

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ryan 4 psi in the pump is to low 7 psi is in the ball park much more than that and the seals in the carb wont hold it. Also I did not see it was 35 gal. per hour pump I have serious doubts if that volume is going to be enough to feed that engine at higher RPMS. I would get a fuel pump that I know is appropriate to this engine, like replace or rebuild the original, do not forget filters, if its been sitting for a while that could be a problem, make sure you have good gas going to the engine. Look at the plugs and replace if any question on them, then comes the distributor cab and rotor, make sure they are clean, in good shape and all contact points are clean and not corroded, emery cloth works good to do this. Plug wires are another component that needs to be in good shape also. Most of these fuel pumps are pretty easy to rebuild as long as you can find the parts. I would get all the numbers off the carb and start at my local auto parts store and if they have nothing then I would start with the military truck sources like Memphis equipment etc. if they dont have a rebuild kit for the carb and or fuel pump they might have replacements for yours. Make sure your electrical component is of the truck is good, then I would tackle the fuel pump if that does not cure the problem I would tackle the carb, carbs get blamed for a lot when actually its not usually the problem, BUT this is an OLD truck and as we all know everything deteriates over time Ryan Keep me posted but it sure sounds like fuel, especially when your in 3 gear and just starting to work the motor a little, start with fuel first!
KK

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks