• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie from upstate NY

Jeeper10

Hi everyone my name is Dave Miller and I'm a newbie to this site and considering purchasing my first military vehicle. I'm trying to talk myself out of buying and M35A2 lol. No luck so far as I think I've caught the bug. Any advice anyone can give on the basket case I'll probably end up purchasing I would love to hear it. Everything from problem areas to look for to what's a good price would be very welcome information. I currently have my eye on a 1972 last rebuilt in 1991 by Letterkenny army depot. Honestly it doesn't look like much else has been done to it since then. Thank you in advance and look forward to this new venture.

Jeeper10

Your advise is sound and I'm certain I'm getting in over my head on the m35 but it's something i've wanted for quite some time. I am what I would consider a very good Shadetree mechanic and have done nearly all of my work on my cars (and 5 jeeps) over the last 20 years but the deuce is a different animal altogether and to be honest I have zero experience with large vehicles and diesels in general. But nothing ventured is nothing gained, my wife and most of my family think I'm crazy for wanting one too lol.

Last edited:

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hi Dave,
Most of those early 70's trucks were made for Vietnam. Most never made it there. Some saw very little use. A lot of them went to the sandbox, The ones that came back got more use (and abuse) in 6 months than the former got in 30 years. I have one of each. I have done little to one and it is very nice. I have done a lot to the other and it is still ratty. Big trucks need big garages. in your climate a garage is nice, especially if you have a nice truck and want it to stay that way. Jeeps take up less space, are easy to work and chicks love 'em, so I've been told. Jim

ageregunner

Welcome from PA. I too had no big truck experience and my only diesel experience was with farm tractors. I bought a deuce and have never looked back. With the TM's and advice you will get from this forum, you will have no trouble working on your new project. Bigger tools and the manuals. I also agree, a big garage or pole barn is a real plus. I built an addition onto my barn this past summer to house my deuce.

AZK9

... I'm certain I'm getting in over my head on the m35 but it's something i've wanted for quite some time. I am what I would consider a very good Shadetree mechanic and have done nearly all of my work on my cars (and 5 jeeps) over the last 20 years but the deuce is a different animal altogether and to be honest I have zero experience with large vehicles and diesels in general. ...
Hi Dave...

What you wrote reminds me of myself not too long ago. I had no experience with large vehicles... let alone a multifuel military vehicle.
I love learning about how to maintain and use my M35A2 and this site is a great place to help make that happen. The folks here are the
best and there's just about nothing they won't help you through.

BTW... I used to think my M35A2 was a big truck, that was... until I parked it next to a 5 ton!

I say, go for it! You'll be glad you did!

AND... Welcome from Arizona! [thumbzup]

Jeeper10

Thanks all. I'm sure I'll drive everyone nuts with questions if I pull the trigger on it. The place that owns it is supposed to get the battery charged so I can hear and see it run on Monday. I can post pics if anyone has interest in it.

theeDIZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Deuces are fun if you can turn a wrench you can fix most anything on it with help from the tm's . It's cheaper in the long run to get one someone has already done work on , and find a truck with all the extras you want already on it cause they add up quickly $ ! Best of luck and welcome from MD.

theeDIZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see it has backup lights a heater and a muffler already, that axle boot looks like brake fluid on it that could be a problem

Jeeper10

I'm concerned about it too but it seems to possibly be coming from the boot which I assume is/was filled with grease. The stuff leaking is very thick and I can see a tear in both front boots. The brakes are my biggest concern as I currently don't have the means of getting something this big off the ground . The engine is filthy almost like mud all over but doesn't seem to come off. You all are amazing already thank you for all the help

Last edited:

AZK9

.... I can post pics if anyone has interest in it.
Thanks for posting those photos! You'll be kept pretty busy with a project like that.

It looks a lot like mine did when I first got it. Since I love working with wood, metal
and paint... mine now looks like this:

AZK9-FreshPaint.jpg

After a while... the whole family got involved with it! :grin: We all love it!

BTW... Pretty much everyone here like pics!! The more the better! [thumbzup]

Jeeper10

That looks sweet. I'm pretty sure my whole family will help with the cosmetics. I'm concerned I'll never get it to pass inspection but I'm a worrier lol

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bigger toys require bigger tools, that's all. Very doable. Thinking that might have been a liftgate truck before.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks