• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie Here...Here's my Story

Outdoorsman

Wanted to say hello to all here on the forum, and tell you what brought me here: I just purchased a re-conditioned (basically re-painted) M105 1.5 Ton Trailer on eBay a few months ago. The winnig bid was $566.00. I can see to find one in this shape anywhere would be near $1K plus w/ shipping. I needed a trailer to replace Grandma's current water hauling trailer that is about to fall apart (homemade by a man with one arm). I'm surpirsed it last the 18 years that it did. See photos
I checked out the specifications of this trailer, and decided that it would be suitable given that it can handle 1.5 Tons in Off-Road Conditions. I determined that it could certainly handle 4500 lbs. in non off-road conditions. The angle (even with a Max. Adjustable Pindle Slider) is still too much on the standard pick-up Class 3 receiver mounted under the frame rails as normal. I intend to resolve this angle issue by mounting receiver flipped-over on the bed, and bolted through the floor and the TOP of the frame rails of this truck. The tailgate will have to be removed. This raises the receiver, allowing the adjustability of this pindle to make it perfectly level. There will be 2 "rails" sticking up a bit from the receiver, but I'll still be able to load my dirtbike and hunt from it...other than that, it just hauls the water with it's slightly modified 460 cu. in. w/ a C-6 Towing kit. I have mounted a new 535 gal. elipticle poly tank that fit perfectly. Max. load weight will be around 4400 lbs. when the tank is full. I'll update this thread with photos of this M105 when I get back on Monday.
If anyone forsee's a problem with my application here, let me know. I wanna hear from you...safety first,
Long thread...sorry...but, had to say hello and tell my story.

Attachments

KsM715

well Let me be the first to say.... the people here have all kinds crazy knowledge about military vehicles and trailers and if they think your gonna do something unsafe theyll let you know. Not disrespectfully just most would rather be safe than sorry. Secondly theyll be asking for pics of your new trailer right away. :-D

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I can tell you that that house is NOT in Arcadia! Wish it was though, then I wouldn't need to move when I retire. Hey, where are all the lowered Hondas with the big 'ol exhaust? WOW a real close SS member. If you need help, gimmie a PM. I've been told i'm handy with tools and such :roll:

Outdoorsman

well Let me be the first to say.... the people here have all kinds crazy knowledge about military vehicles and trailers and if they think your gonna do something unsafe theyll let you know. Not disrespectfully just most would rather be safe than sorry. Secondly theyll be asking for pics of your new trailer right away. :-D
:oops:I knew I'd get slapped down for not having the photos of my M105 right now. As promised...when I get back from installing the hitch receiver; and hauling 3000 gallons of water for Grandma, I'll post up some beaut's that will show the tank install, and hitch modification (if all goes as planned), along with a photo of the adjustable pindle slider I just bought for $75. Such a good price, I bought two (one for work). You won't be disappointed;-)

GoHot229

The hitch you propose might not be enough , and who knows, it might tweak your bed or something worse........the ONLY THING YO DO HERE is to do it properly.........and for that you will have to purchase just a fiew components, A small American flag, a couple of freasheners, a cup holder and a DEUCE Oh and , a backup DEUCE, THEN and only then, will you be alright.

Outdoorsman

The hitch you propose might not be enough , and who knows, it might tweak your bed or something worse........the ONLY THING YO DO HERE is to do it properly.........and for that you will have to purchase just a fiew components, A small American flag, a couple of freasheners, a cup holder and a DEUCE Oh and , a backup DEUCE, THEN and only then, will you be alright.
Spoken like a true a "deuce" salesman..."THEN and only then..." Bolt to the frame is bolted to the frame; from the top or the bottom or it. Right or wrong? I'm not bolting it TO THE BED; more THROUGH the bed to the frame.

Outdoorsman

Don't hate me because I'm forgetful, but... I forgot to ask for the camera from my daughter before I left, so no photos yet. However, I did complete the install of the receiver as planned. Came out real good. The trailer is nice and level now. Will be putting it to use for the first time this next weekend. Dragg'in my daughter with me this time, so I'll get the photos as promised.
...on another note. I was right about that other old make-shift water trailer; she broke with a full load of water. What a spectacular wreck at 15 mph... the frame broke right off at the front axle. The front of the trailer frame dug in the dirt road and flipped it, landing on it's back right on the water tank; crushing it, and sending 500 gallons all over the place. I knew it was a matter of time. Laughed my ass off only because I had this replacement about ready to go. Glad I got my M105 ready to go. Just in the nick of time! Got 5 out of the 6 loads completed anywho. Stay tuned!

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you'll be fine with 4,500lbs. I know a m105 is only rated for 3,000lbs but I've had 3k in mine and the overloads weren't even touching. These trailers are way underrated. Just make sure your hitch you come up with can handle it.

Outdoorsman

I think you'll be fine with 4,500lbs. I know a m105 is only rated for 3,000lbs but I've had 3k in mine and the overloads weren't even touching. These trailers are way underrated. Just make sure your hitch you come up with can handle it.

That's exactly what I discovered; and was thinking when I found this trailer. 3K lbs. IN OFF-ROAD CONDITIONS
Thank you for the comment... coming from experience. Hitch set-up photos to follow.

Last edited:

Outdoorsman

Got back from Grandma's house with photos in hand. So here is my "water buffalo" converted from my M105, a Brophy Hitch Receiver, an adjustable pindle, a 535 gallon elipticle water tank, new stall mat from Broken Horn, and some old timbers, and some hardware (all-thread, nuts, &washers) The shorter hitch receiver flanges of the Brophy allowed for short slots in the bed floor. Fully loaded; the weight left the overloads barely touching on one side, and not quite touching on the other (photos taken on flat- level ground). I'm guessing that the one side probably needs to have its leaf springs re-arched. If i do one, I may as well do the other side too. Down the road on that. Handles the load just fine at 45-50 mph. No need to go faster on that dirt road, but with better brakes on the truck, and a plug conversion for the trailer brakes, highway driving should not be a problem if ever needed. Notice the mountings for the tanks straps. Had to design something that wouldn't rip out of the bed since I had no frame rails to directly mount with. So what do ya think?

Last edited:

Outdoorsman

Had to re-size photos...not sure why these weren't added with my edit.
Well, here at last. Total spent including fuel to pick-up items (Tank...1 hour North of Bakersfield) (Trailer...San Clemente) (Hitch receiver...El Cajon) $1370 Total

Attachments

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think that what has been over looked is all the work you are doing to help out your Grandma.

Good job (and good work on the truck and trailer too).

steve

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks