• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie here, lookin for CUCVs and a friend suggested SS

Chevy_Muscle

Hello, I mentioned that I was looking for a CUCV to a friend that has a M1009 and he mentioned this site. I've been lurking for a while and after several tries at registering, I finally got it right a short while back.

I just wanted to thank you all for all the weath of info I've already found here. I've been watching the classifieds and will continue to do so. I'm looking for a good condition M1009 or M1028.

Oh, and I'm a bit northeast of Dallas.

acetomatoco

So the rusty 50K M1008 I have here for $2700 won't do you too much good...but there are more all over the world...welcome to green world.

aboonski

Welcome to the site!

Hello from Central Florida! I am fairly new on Steel Soldiers myself but have found this web site to be a complete source of information for any military vehicle that someone would ever want in their entire lifetime! I have an M1008A1 CUCV that I drive daily and have found it to be easy to work on and very reliable too. I have experienced a few problems, mostly electrical but have gotten advice from members here that allowed me to make quick repairs and get back on the road the same day. Other sources of used CUCVs are www.govliquidation.com and of course, www.Ebay.com. If you buy a vehicle from one of the members on this site you would generally get a better deal across the board and the vehicle would probably be mechanically sound as compared to buying elsewhere. When dealing with Govliquidation, you sometimes take your chances with what you buy - most of the time CUCVs offered on GL are completely used up but on a rare occasion you can find a good one. I bought my M1008A1 from a Ebay seller up in Carmel New York - flew up there and drove the truck home with no problems at all!

Attachments

Chevy_Muscle

RE: Welcome to the site!

Thanks guys, yeah, I've been watching G.L. and Ebay quite a lot. I saw a real nice M1028 on ebay but it was in Montana or somewhere fairly far away and then the guy removed it from auction before the listing ended.

I have a question about GovLiq...... I saw in the help section "Government Liquidation will supply a SF97 to customers under the following conditions: The vehicle must have been sold in a "useable" property sale (Sale No. is less than 6,000). GL will not issue SF97s for vehicles sold in Scrap sales (Sales No. is greater than or equal to 6,000). " .... they are talking about the lot number, right? What is confusing is some of these greater than 6,000 numbers say they are running trucks?????

Chevy_Muscle

RE: Welcome to the site!

I guess I didn't finish my question above. .... if the lot number is over 6,000 I can NOT get a SF97 or title for it, right?.... i have to wait until I find a truck that I want that has a number below 6,000?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chevy Muscle, welcome aboard. Your question related to scrap sales goes like this. Only sales (or events) starting at over 6000 are scrap sales. Events like 3151 are regualr sales. The lot numbers have nothing to do with that so as long as the sales event number is unde 6000, you should be good.

AJMBLAZER

Some decent advice I was given when I was starting to look for mine a little over a year ago:

The good ones are being kept now. These are 20-24 year old vehicles now. The military is keeping the good ones for themselves and the damaged/troublesome/more to fix than surplus out/etc trucks are what is showing up on the market. Mostly gone are the days of buying 5 of them with super low miles and ready to drive across the country for $4000.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I got one of my 2 M1008's from GL out of Barstow, trailered it home to NM changed out the glow plugs, and it started right up, then I found........

But, using the Tranny out of the other truck I got in Louisiana, I now have a reliable DD.

I paid 1600.00 (La) and 1800.00 (Ca) back in August/Sept of this year.