• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie here looking at a 1970 M35A2 have some questions

FloridaAKM

I bought a 1987 Deuce back in 2014 for 6K, but it ran great, was newly painted by the military before being sold, drove 450 miles home with no problems, only had 9k miles on it & has 5k miles put on it by me. It was a high price @ the time, but the truck is a dual brake system & has been a great pleasure to own.

The 5k the owner wants for his truck is too much in my opinion. A guy near me tried to sell me his 1982 Deuce for 6k, but it was in rough shape with low miles. That truck sold to 3 owners after I got mine & was a huge pain to the owners frustration. Be patient & you will get the right truck.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I told the guy I had to pass, he didn't counter anything or even respond. The guy I messaged on here responded. We'll see where it goes. Thanks again for everyone's advice, I'm sure I'll be back with other questions but in the meantime I'll do more searching.
I think you made a good call. You'll find what you want for a reasonable price - just keep looking.

banditt1979

So I will start another thread when it gets here and I start wrenching but....I picked up a much nicer model in desert tan with a trailer and many extra parts from another member on here. Now just waiting on the transport to pick it up and bring it here since it needs brake work and a fuel pump and I didn't want to try and drive it 450 miles home not knowing if it would make it. Very excited!

HDN

So I will start another thread when it gets here and I start wrenching but....I picked up a much nicer model in desert tan with a trailer and many extra parts from another member on here. Now just waiting on the transport to pick it up and bring it here since it needs brake work and a fuel pump and I didn't want to try and drive it 450 miles home not knowing if it would make it. Very excited!
I remember looking at that listing. That seemed like a nice truck! I wish I could've put an offer on it but my wife needs another minivan more :rolleyes: Though she likes trucks painted in desert tan!

banditt1979

Booked for pick up on Monday hoping it gets here soon. I plan to go through the entire brake system and fuel system. Ordered new rubber brake lines and fuel pump and remote reservoir. Need to get either new wheel cylinders or rebuild kits. Probably both just to have on hand.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can use kits if the corrasion is not too bad in the wheel cylinders , if you do have to replace the wheel cylinders try to stay away from the china built repops . Same with the master cylinder and brake booster . What DOT brake fluid do you plan to use ?? You are off to a good start , good luck , bob k

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Plan on using dot5. When we were there I was able to bleed the air pack and get a little bit of a pedal. MC was dry though.
Yup, sounds good , go through the whole brake system , check and repack the wheel bearings and seals and with a good LOF and fluid changes in the trans and pumpkins , this way when it is up and running you are good to go . PMCS !!!! LOL ,

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have read through all the responses concerning you wanting a Deuce, great trucks but things torched off, transfer cases making noises all of that sounds to me like the tip of the iceberg in whats truly going on with the truck! You are looking for a bug out vehicle or should we just say a rugged, dependable light off road truck, Deuce is a great choice. I want to stress the word "dependable"! I am thinking that you want this truck to start, stop and run when you need it to and you dont want to have to worry every time you sit in the cab, buy the best truck that you can afford, words like good bones, it WAS a very reliable truck at one time all of that is CRAP! You are into car restoration would you rather buy a 69 Boss 429 that had been laying sunk in the dirt for the last 40 years and rebuild every component to get it beautiful and back on the road, I would guess you have about 80K into that car. Now you find one that somebody has for sale and its everything you want and they want 50K for it and it ready to go, what own would you choose? The Deuce is the same way! Buy a truck that somebody put a ton of money into making it perfect or close to it, they have already spent the BIG money making it perfect be patient and put the word out that you are looking and ready to buy, the RIGHT truck will show up and your wont have to spend a pile of money and time in getting it to the condition you want!!!

banditt1979

Nothing says "I am so excited!" more than ordering parts even before the truck shows up at home! ;-)
Glad you found one that appears to be a good one. Let's hope it turns out to be even better than expected!
Thank you sir for the positive vibes! I try to gauge my projects and stay prepared. My eval along with the wonderful knowledge base here have led me to these conclusions. I am ready to get started!

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site and the hobby from Michigan. This site is a great resource for anyone interested in owning and maintaining a military vehicle. You might want to explore joining the Ohio Motor Pool. They have a good web site, ohiomotorpool.org. I joined them years ago and while I don’t get to attend a lot of the events and meetings, the people in the group are outstanding. Their news letter is worth more than the cost of membership!
In May 19 - 21 there is going to be a very big MV show and swap meet in Findlay Oh.. Once you assess what your truck may need, the Findlay show would be a great place to pick up parts.
You are lucky. Ohio is a very active state for all things MV. Joining a local group will provide resources and you’ll make some great friends.

banditt1979

Anyone have any tips for me for unloading the deuce, with little or no brakes, with the m105 trailer attached, off of a step deck trailer? I've heard the m105 is a lot of fun backing up....

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site and the hobby from Michigan. This site is a great resource for anyone interested in owning and maintaining a military vehicle. You might want to explore joining the Ohio Motor Pool. They have a good web site, ohiomotorpool.org. I joined them years ago and while I don’t get to attend a lot of the events and meetings, the people in the group are outstanding. Their news letter is worth more than the cost of membership!
In May 19 - 21 there is going to be a very big MV show and swap meet in Findlay Oh.. Once you assess what your truck may need, the Findlay show would be a great place to pick up parts.
You are lucky. Ohio is a very active state for all things MV. Joining a local group will provide resources and you’ll make some great friends.
Yup a good group to join , don't forget the MVPA convention this year in June ln South Bend and the Findley Ohio show , both good shows and if your parts vendor is their , they will bring your parts and save you the shipping .

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone have any tips for me for unloading the deuce, with little or no brakes, with the m105 trailer attached, off of a step deck trailer? I've heard the m105 is a lot of fun backing up....
If they are on the trailer straight. I’m thinking you could run a chain and binder on each side from the truck d-rings back to the trailer to hold it straight. Then maybe have soldier B use the clutch/motor for a brake, while you pull it off with another vehicle.

Reactions: HDN

banditt1979

If they are on the trailer straight. I’m thinking you could run a chain and binder on each side from the truck d-rings back to the trailer to hold it straight. Then maybe have soldier B use the clutch/motor for a brake, while you pull it off with another vehicle.
So have the deuce in low first, have my silverado chained to the trailer, and use the clutch as a brake against the engine? And the chains from the deuce to the trailer would force the trailer to stay straight? My concern would be the chains snapping if the trailer wants to wander to one side.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You got it. Leave the engine on the m35 off, and make sure you have plenty of chain or strap between it and the pickup so you can be sure not to get ran into.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks