• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie Here Please Help....

saleen42

Hello,
I am looking to purchase a vehicle from govliquidation.com but i am abit hesitant bc of some of the things i have heard. Here is a description of the truck im looking at

M923, 5 ton, 6x6, Cargo Truck.The truck is diesel engine driven, 6 cylinder, automatic transmission. The truck has 5,890 miles and 175 hours of operation. The truck has batteries but did not start with a jump.

Any and all feedback would be appreciated. One thing that concerns me is if it ill be in good running condition or will it be a junker.....
Thank you for your help

Last edited:

saleen42

Sorry ill remove the link asap....
Any thoughts on these vehicles would be great. Has anyone purchased from them before? Should i expect it to be in decent condition or a junker that needs alot of work?

saleen42

Sorry ill remove the link asap....
Any thoughts on these vehicles would be great. Has anyone purchased from them before? Should i expect it to be in decent condition or a junker that needs alot of work?

auron

Gl is misleading in some aspects that if they fubar something after the post it wont get updated about it and for not taking the time to do things nicely to these trucks like forklifting it insread of jumpstarting it. So don't expect to drive it home unless you preview it and you physicly check it to see all systems are a go. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst, that way you wont be dissappointment

saleen42

If i purchase one i will have it flat bedded home. I am just abit skeptical i dont want to just throw money down the drain lol..... Do these trucks have major issues such as needs a new engine etc or minor issues?

auron

It's all luck of the draw but the one that your looking at doesn't look so bad. Change all filters and fluids even the fuel tank and in reguard to lines check them and if it's rubber replace it and if it has a zirk fitting grease it and check the dogdones ball and u-joints and brakes

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello,
I am looking to purchase a vehicle from govliquidation.com but i am abit hesitant bc of some of the things i have heard. Here is a description of the truck im looking at

M923, 5 ton, 6x6, Cargo Truck. The truck is diesel engine driven, 6 cylinder, automatic transmission. The truck has 5,890 miles and 175 hours of operation. The truck has batteries but did not start with a jump.

Any and all feedback would be appreciated. One thing that concerns me is if it ill be in good running condition or will it be a junker.....
Thank you for your help

Like most will tell you, expect the worst and hope you get lucky.
I don't know how long ago that unit caught your eye but, if you are reasonably close you should have called and made an appointment to preview the truck. I have bought from pics and been lucky. I know others that ended up with broken down parts trucks. NEVER use the odometer and hour meter for more than a passing thought to judge the unit's worthiness. Now if you find a set of dated maintenance records in the truck that back up the meters that would be a bit different story, had it happen once to me. It's an automatic so it needs to be running to check out the transmission. There are many threads you can read about buying a former military truck.

Buyer beware and good hunting!

Last edited:

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They all say H7 for the condition is that a red flag? Also, Is there any way to find out the year of these trucks?
half of the trucks I bought were H7 and the rest F7.

I drove one home 2700 miles that was listed as H7. There were a couple next to it that sold in same sale, about the same money, that were listed F7. Mine had better tires and had a better overall appearance. Go figure! It's a crapshoot and the only way to up your odds is to preview.
I did replace filters, batteries, and fix a bunch of air leaks after my inspection.

Last edited:

bonshawman

Any auction is "buyer beware". A pre-inspection is the best option, although not always practical. Sometimes an SS member is close by and can give a look, but still, it is not your eyes.

First: GL lists a wide variety of items. Their reps are not experts in every field. The items come in to them with little to NO information, from all over the place. Their "best guess" is what you get. Be realistic. They are not mechanics, they have no idea was something "doesn't start" - just that it "doesn't start". They are willing to provide whatever info and on-site help they can, but as with every type of auction, it is the buyer's responsibility to determine condition, and value, before bidding.

Second: One size ammo can can be "no EUC required" - another size can "require EUC". This is the government - there is little logic. I just purchased a trailer listed "H7" - it is fine. Roll of the dice. By the way, my initial EUC on the trailer went through in under a week.

Third: I drove a truck which came out of GL in Camp Shelby MS, drove to Florida, and I then drove it to SC and back to pickup the trailer. It was one of the ones which had its rebuild, and was never re-issued. Ran fine - got 6.88 MPG on the trip for the trailer, ran like a new truck. But I didn't "steal it" price wise, either. I still got more than what I paid for.

Fourth: I went to Ft Jackson for the trailer. Again, I got more than I paid for. Heck the scrap value is more than what I paid, and I didn't steal it either! Several SS members volunteered and assisted on-site, (great resource!) plus the GL reps Tim and Hector were very helpful. The trailer sat for two years, and after some "playing" we got the brakes to release and I towed it 550 miles home with NO ISSUE - but I bought in sight unseen, and I lucked out. A SS member was able to advise in advance that the tires "looked good" (and they were and all had 70# of air in them). I had no problem getting on, or around the base. I was nervous, but for me to pre-inspect was not cost effective, but I bid what I was comfortable with (allowing for the unknown), and luck was on my side.

Because my M931 had sat from rebuild May 2008 until December 2011, it ran fine, but on the way up to Ft Jackson I had time to kill so I had her completely serviced, to get a "base line". Before I left, I changed a weeping rear input shaft seal myself. At Ft Jackson, a couple of 5-tom M series cargos were present which had gone through complete rebuilds and never were issued - they looked new. I don't know if they were sold or coming up - but you can find these if you LOOK carefully at the GL auctions. Again - no guarantee, but perhaps a better "opportunity" and their prices reflect it. Stuff comes up all over the country - some is, alas, not geographically practical (just like EBAY) for the recovery, especially if one needs to deploy transport and pay for it.

My round-trip to Ft Jackson from Florida with fuel and lodging cost about $1,000. That, plus the purchase price, plus the sales tax and buyer's premium all have to be figured in - I still did very well on the trailer, and am very pleased - but I am a big boy, and it is on MY shoulders to make (and live with) the decision - best to do your research, reach out to other SS members as you have done, and "keep em' rolling".

saleen42

Thank you for the replies.....
How can you tell if it had had a rebuild?
Any way to look up the vehicle history with the vin?
Are there any members in the so cal area?

Thank You

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks