• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie here with M51

GTO Tiger

Well actually it's my 17 year old son who just got the M51. I just loaned him the $$! We have been lurking here for a couple of months in anticipation of closing the deal to get this truck. The organization that had it was going to scrap it!!

Since we got it home yesterday, I decided to share with all of you! By lurking I DID learn that posting without pictures (if applicable) is a BIG NO NO!!:p

In an effort to not get on anybody's bad side on my first post I have included some pics!

The truck is a 1962 M51 tipper made by IH. It has the hard top, heater and front winch options. All good stuff for Michigan weather! Power is the Continental R6602 gasser. My son and I wish it was a multi-fuel so we could burn WMO (even learned a lot of the acronyms by lurking:D).

Recovery was slow. We were told it was last run in the spring. We put gas in it and it sputtered and died. Long story short, we drained the LH gas tank to find about 2 gallons of water in it! We went through light checks, warm up, checked the brakes, etc and ran it up and down through the gears in an adjacent parking lot. Everything looked good so we drove it about 30 miles home via the back roads with no issues.

Mark

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks