• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie Hunting for a M109

Lextreme

Gents,

I am in process of getting a M109 and convert it to an ultimate camper. My wife gave me the green light so now I am looking for one. What should I look out for?

Plans are as follow:
* Coleman Roof Mount AC/Heater
* 4000 -6500 watt generator
* Custom made cabinets
* Custom made folding bunk beds ( two sets to sleep 4)
* Frig, propane powered stove
* Passenger seats (Nissan NV seats has integrated seat belts)
* 500 watt solar panels with 4-5 batteries
* TV with PS3 and few other goodies

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are starting the search at least two years late to get a decent one from GL without blowing your budget just getting the truck. Prices have tripled since then, and since the M109/M185 trucks were never numerous compared to the cargo model, expect even higher prices. A private sale is your best bed for getting started sometime this year. Also, you indicate that you are in Cali. Until it's officially declared an RV by Cali, expect to be bent over and prodded by the obtuse laws on the books there (CDL because of three axles, etc.). Do your homework and you may well move from the left coast to somewhere more MV friendly.

M1031CMT

Like Mike stated, you are going to find it a bit hard to get one for a decent price at the moment. Seems in the last couple of years almost everyone has decided to make a camper out of one which has made them harder to find. And there being less and less coming out of GL all the time doesn't help either.

If you can't find an M109, get an M35 and either put a slide-in camper body into the back, or put a box in the back and convert that into a camper. After completing my M109 RV/Camper, I think that would have been the better way to go. The M109 box just isn't the best to convert into a camper without a lot of work. The M109 box is pretty d amn heavy on the truck too. Depending on what you are going to use it for, it might be worth looking at.

I would just recommend doing A LOT of research before buying a truck and starting anything. You can get a lot of ideas from others that have done it, but you really have to research what works/doesn't work, what you are going to use it for, as well as how much money you want to put into it. Things like an AC unit and generator would be very low on my list (I have neither on my truck). Same goes for a tv and game console. Good comfortable beds, proper storage as well as water/toilet/shower are near the top of the list as they are more important when out in the bush and away from utilities. You spend maybe 5-10% of your time in the camper for things like sleeping and washing. The rest of the time is for being out doors. Better to put that extra money/work onto other things because the money can add up pretty quick on other things. Don't forget that you might need to spend a good amount of money on just the truck like repairs, maybe changing tires, modifications (spin on oil and fuel kits for an example), as well as anything you might need to do to be DOT legal.

Just my 0.02 cents.

Good luck on the build.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jack's Government Surplus, here in Tucson, has at least 30 of them. Thats where I got mine. He sells them with the End Use paperwork done, vehicle DOT inspected, and clean AZ title. Not cheap though, I paid $8500 for mine road ready w/ warranty. I told Jack that when I took delivery I was getting on the interstate and headed to the Playas New Mexico test range so dont deliver me any junk. All promises were kept. I snapped a pic entering New Mexico.

Attachments

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with SCSG-G4, Mad Scientist and M1031CMT. Jacks sounds like the place to to pick up good 109. How can you go wrong with a warranty out the door on a 40 year old truck. I like your plan for the new interior. When you get your truck take pictures to post. We all like pictures. [thumbzup]

Blendmaster2002

If you would like you can come and take a look at mine to see in person if one will work out for what you want to do. I am also considering building and RV out of one of mine after reading all the threads on here. I havea M185A3 listed in the classifieds on here. One thing on registering it rv it has to qualify read on the dmvs website for what it has to have, once you do the modifications you could register it rv, should go smooth especially if you use a titling service, I did that when I registered my trucks historic and commercial the titling service still had problems but the Dmv responds better to the titling service telling them their wrong! Otherwise in the mean time you can register it historic or commercial, I made copys of my sf97s and paper work (you have to send in the originals) when I registered mine to aid in changing registrations around later if needed.

Lextreme

I already found one and he is a SS member. I need to modify my carport (roof is too low and truck cant get in) before bringing it home.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks