• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie lookin for a M101A2 on GL w/ questions...

hwcurtice

In Washington, registrations don't always end the last day of the month. They can end at any time during the month. Not sure about Oregon. Make sure your vehicle registration hasn't expired.

Experience. When I went on base to get my m101a2, my trucks registration had expired two days previous. They asked if I had a current registration. Luckily, I had just renewed, but I had also bought 'special' plates for my truck, thinking I had a couple weeks for them to arrive, and a few more days before my current tabs expired, I never put the temp plate on my truck. Good thing I brought it with me.

Yeah, the base security people can be kinda anal when it comes to these things.

Can I say that here?

Other than that, seems like you've got it well in hand. I see a couple on auction coming up. They look nice. Take the canvas off when you tow one home though.

TwistedJake

You missed the boat there was like 15 M101A2 trailers just south of Portland about 3 months ago. Could have inspected them and got the one you want if I remember correct they all went cheap. Just keep your eyes open may be more close by.:)
Story of my life. :lol:

Were they on GL? Didn't think GL did much in OR as we don't have much down here. Were they at Camp Withycomb? If so that extra sucks cause that is only 30 minutes or so from my house and I'm in that area a couple times a week.

TwistedJake

In Washington, registrations don't always end the last day of the month. They can end at any time during the month. Not sure about Oregon. Make sure your vehicle registration hasn't expired.

Experience. When I went on base to get my m101a2, my trucks registration had expired two days previous. They asked if I had a current registration. Luckily, I had just renewed, but I had also bought 'special' plates for my truck, thinking I had a couple weeks for them to arrive, and a few more days before my current tabs expired, I never put the temp plate on my truck. Good thing I brought it with me.

Yeah, the base security people can be kinda anal when it comes to these things.

Can I say that here?

Other than that, seems like you've got it well in hand. I see a couple on auction coming up. They look nice. Take the canvas off when you tow one home though.
Thanks for the heads up. OR registration expires at any day durring the month but no worries, I'm good for another year plus and I never let that stuff expire.

TwistedJake

Tractor supply has the pintle plate but I don't remember if they have the hitch. Just so you know a stock pintle from a MV will also work. I have several of them laying around.

Rick
So I'm gonna let a little of my newbieness shine through here and ask what a MV is. :jumpin:

I measured my truck today and the receiver is 20" from center to ground. Will this still require the pintle hook with the adjustable plate or can I get the straight in 2" receiver style pintle hook? Only reason I ask is cause it seems that big plate and such would be overkill/goofy on a half ton truck. But if that is what it takes then that is what I'll do.

And are there any pro's or con's to the pintle hooks that are a 2" ball style? Seems they would be more versatile as most the trailers on the farm would work on it also. I do have a small drop hitch though to accomodate them when/if needed.

rickf

MV = Military Vehicle. I like the plate because it comes in handy for moving different trailers that are different heights. I have one with the ball and it works fine. You see, you now have OD (Olive Drab) addiction. You don't know it yet but you do. Ask any of us how this happens and all will tell you it just takes one purchase.:twisted: You will be using that hitch more than you think.

Rick

toomanytools

OD Addiction. Is that what it is. Wife to me; what that thing behind your truck!!?. What did you spend,whats it for,what you gonna do with it?. Just what YOU need, more stuff. I work with heavy equip. every day, and owned an auto repair shop for 15 years. I am amazed and facinated at the level of redundency and quality of Mil-spec. I'm really scared a duece is gonna end up at the ranch. oh god. This post should probably be in conversations. apol. Rick

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haul my M101A2 with my Cherokee as well as with my M880 & Ambulance.
Sure seems to me that is close to 30 inch to the center of the pintle.
Usually better to have the tongue going down hill to prevent trailer sway.
I bought my hook & receiver adapter at a Tractor Supply and made a riser plate out of 1/2" plate.
I do not ever block out the surge brakes on mine, except for some backing situations.

Attachments

Last edited:

Jinx

I'd just like to chime in and say welcome to the site!

I have purchased and recovered 3 trailers from Ft. Lewis. (M101A1, M105A2, M101A2) Once you get the system down, it's very easy and the GL personnel while almost always busy, they are very helpful.

Last edited:

goodguyzy

You missed the boat there was like 15 M101A2 trailers just south of Portland about 3 months ago. Could have inspected them and got the one you want if I remember correct they all went cheap. Just keep your eyes open may be more close by.:)
Oregon auctions are far and few between, I bid on some items there (gen sets, trailers) They didnt go for that cheap. Outbid by a few bucks as usual.

Nonotagain

nice recovery pic..... i like the non standard wheel on the lower trailer
She looks like a standard late model GM 8 lug wheel to me.:confused:

Oh! You mean like a military issue wheel....... It's all good.

Any recovery that you make it home without major issues is a good recovery. Ask me how I know??

M1key

Speaking of wheels, you might want to try to find an old 8-bolt chevy wheel and tire for a spare. A local junk yard should have a few laying around. If nothing else at least have a spare 16" tire. You can always drop the trailer and have a shop install the tire.

The last trailer (m101a2) I got from GL was 250 miles from home. The tires were slightly dry rotted all over but had 90%+ tread. Kinda scary but I had a spare wheel+tire from my 3/4t suburban.

Oh yea it was mentioned earlier, but keep a close eye on the wheel bearings heating up. I keep a tub of wheel bearing grease, screwdriver, hammer and big crescent wrench on hand for recoveries of the 2 wheeled kind. Dont forget some spare cotter-pins or a nail for nut retainment.

Pic comments: First pic is last recovery with Uncle Fidel, 2nd my last in IA. Look closely and you can see my self made pintel (adjustable hitch for hauling 105s and 101s) Added longer safety chains later.

Attachments

AMMO 23

Had to go back and do some research Event 5711 Lots 8648 - 8677 sold in Clackamas OR. Most were listed as M101A1 trailers had to look at the pictures some had surge brakes so sure they were M101A2 trailers. The prices were all over the board from $220 to $460 the one that sold for $460 was a M101A1 without bows or tarp. The last trailer I bought was in Sparks NV and paid $460 for it so I didn't think the prices were that bad.

802dot1q

I use a 12" rise on mine. I took the light plug off a CUCV bumper so I can use the stock trailer cannon plug and I just change 4 bulbs which costs a couple bucks. I try to buy 2 trailers that way I could sell one to help pay for the trip.
How the heck did you get that thing up on top?!?!

NEIOWA

Story of my life. :lol:

Were they on GL? Didn't think GL did much in OR as we don't have much down here. Were they at Camp Withycomb? If so that extra sucks cause that is only 30 minutes or so from my house and I'm in that area a couple times a week.

There are several in DRMS at CLACKAMAS,OR,US Odds are they will end up at Govliq in a couple months. (many are coming thru DRMS and very few are reutilized/transfered).