• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie Looking at an M817: What do you think?

METALMASTER

Hello all! Ever since i got my Dodge M37 when i was 16, i have been fascinated with military vehicles. For the last few years, i have been getting more serious about purchasing another machine but of much larger size than what I'm used to. I think i have found the one, but i wanted to get some insight from the professionals before i seal the deal.

I found an M817 dump about a year ago that I just test drove yesterday for the first time. Im not sure what year it is. I have photos of the data plates if anyone can figure it out based on that. Everything worked on the truck up until recently. The guy had to start it by jumping the solenoid with a screwdriver. Apparently the ignition switch does not work, and to kill it he popped the clutch in 4th gear! Im sure it is something simple, but any ideas would help. Also the guy couldn't get the t-case in high gear.

Besides those issues (with bad tires and the body having a nice rusty patina), the truck performed beautifully. It drove well, steered well, stopped well, and dumped well.

I wanted a dump to use on my property to move dirt and trees with my other equipment, and after my property is finished i plan on making this truck a recreational hobby.

I found lots of info on the cummins 250 motor on this site already. I also noticed on the door it says "City of Cleburne", which i noticed some corresponding stories in other threads on this site as well.

I guess my main questions are: Should i buy it (heehee)?? What is it worth in its current condition? Is the motor reliable? What are the most common issues? What is the significance of being from "City of Cleburne"?

I know the title is a very important factor in the price, but i havent even talked to the guy about it yet. How about a price with good title and without? I am extremely mechanically inclined and i know i could tackle any job on it, and i also own a welding shop. Like i said, wanted a few professional opinions on it first. Thanks!!!!!!

Attachments

poppop

She looks rough but if she starts, drives, stops and dumps, that the important stuff. Tires don't matter for a farm truck if it does not get on the road. The problems you mentioned are small one. It has an electric solenoid to switch fuel on and shut down engine but has a manual bypass on the pump. Sounds like its running on manual. I would guess price should be around $3000.00 as ones in good shape bring around 5000 to 6500. Thats just my opinion as others may vary.

METALMASTER

She looks rough but if she starts, drives, stops and dumps, that the important stuff. Tires don't matter for a farm truck if it does not get on the road. The problems you mentioned are small one. It has an electric solenoid to switch fuel on and shut down engine but has a manual bypass on the pump. Sounds like its running on manual. I would guess price should be around $3000.00 as ones in good shape bring around 5000 to 6500. Thats just my opinion as others may vary.
Thanks poppop! The ignition is actually an electrical problem i think, being the starter has to be jumped with a screwdriver...... Thanks for the info on the solenoid switch!

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would bet the control box is the problem, easy enough to fix. Looks like she has been rode hard and put away wet.