• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie looking for a TM for a 2006 M1148 A1R LHS not found here in TM area. TM-9-2320-392-10...

WOT

Hi to All FMTV Enthusiasts! I've been lurking and posting on the FB LMTV area and everyone says go look at SS, so, here I am. I bought an M1148 A1R LHS from GP in Guam.
I'll be going over there soon and I'm looking for the proper TM for the later model MTV. I see it on Army Pubs, but they say it's not available. I have the earlier TM for A0 models, but lots of it doesn't cover the later model electronics, nor anything on the Load Handling System/Hooklift. If anyone here has access to this TM I would sincerely appreciate being able to secure a digital copy to take with me on my troubleshooting trip. It's a non-runner with lots of possibilities for simple or serious failures, but I have my thoughts on how to solve the problems and get it running before shipping it back to the mainland USA. I'm an Air Force Vet and a diesel truck mechanic and CDL driver, so, I have a bit of experience reviving non-runners. Thanks in Advance for your help and this excellent forum.

Last edited:

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The A1R is a bit of Frankenstein - generally being covered partially by the A1 manuals, and partially by the A1P2 LTAS manuals. Since the A1R trucks were intended to become A1P2's either with a field upgrade to the armored cab, or sent back to the factory for complete refit, etc.

As mentioned the TM's are not in the public domain.

Your best bet is to post here for help. I have a 2008 A1R, as do several others. I can lookup or have someone lookup any information you might require and most stuff people here know off the top of their head anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just out of curiosity, what does it cost to ship a truck from Guam to Long Beach?

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just out of curiosity, what does it cost to ship a truck from Guam to Long Beach?
Probably not that bad - Guam likely is similar to Hawaii in that lots of ships deliver to the islands out there and most leave almost entirely empty. So the rates to bring things back are not nearly as bad as you think. Any money they can recover on the return run is found money and so I'm sure rates are very competitive. Compared to over the road shipping it's probably crazy cheap per mile as long as the vehicle runs and drives and isn't a big hassle for them to move.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some deceptive photographs of the rear drive shaft, one pic shows the slip joint fully extended, others show it in the normal state. That truck has not run or gotten any love in at least 10 years. Like the rear window though.

WOT

The A1R is a bit of bastard child - generally being covered partially by the A1 manuals, and partially by the A1P2 LTAS manuals. Since the A1R trucks were intended to become A1P2's either with a field upgrade to the armored cab, or sent back to the factory for complete refit, etc.

Your best bet is to post here for help. I have a 2008 A1R, as do several others. I can lookup or have someone lookup any information you might require and most stuff people here know off the top of their head anyway.
Thank you. I'll keep posting here as things come up.

WOT

The A1R is a bit of bastard child - generally being covered partially by the A1 manuals, and partially by the A1P2 LTAS manuals. Since the A1R trucks were intended to become A1P2's either with a field upgrade to the armored cab, or sent back to the factory for complete refit, etc.

Excellent. I'll press on and share whatever I encounter.

WOT

Probably not that bad - Guam likely is similar to Hawaii in that lots of ships deliver to the islands out there and most leave almost entirely empty. So the rates to bring things back are not nearly as bad as you think. Any money they can recover on the return run is found money and so I'm sure rates are very competitive. Compared to over the road shipping it's probably crazy cheap per mile as long as the vehicle runs and drives and isn't a big hassle for them to move.
Yes, I just want to make sure it's a runner. I can stay on Guam for a month, so we'll pull out all stops to get it back in shape. Clean undercarriage has been stressed by the shippers, no foreign soil. Lots of cleaning and corrosion control to do.

WOT

Curious as well. Keep seeing LMTV trailers out there that I'd like to have.
I'll keep you posted. Someone bought the M1095 tandem axle trailer, I'll try to see if it's a local or not. I didn't want another thing to ship this trip until I really know the logistics and costs, so, I passed on it. Also, as this truck picks up and lays down stuff, the only trailer I really want is the M1074 Slam Bam Flat Rack trailer. Ultimately, it may be cheaper to buy a house on Guam and drive the truck around the island.

Last edited:

WOT

Some deceptive photographs of the rear drive shaft, one pic shows the slip joint fully extended, others show it in the normal state. That truck has not run or gotten any love in at least 10 years. Like the rear window though.
Quite right NDT - Thanks for studying the pics. The dropped split rear driveshaft appears to be a burnt carrier bearing. I'm looking for a replacement for that. Could also be a forklift hit, but it's black and rusty and the driveshaft around it looks like it has heat damage, too. My opinion is this is what downed the truck. I could be wrong though. The good rear shaft is the one between the two rear diffs . The front ds looks good, so, I'll remove the rear slapper, strap it up on the bed and drive it out on the front axle in offroad mode IF the engine and air brake systems are OK. First stop on initial walk-around are the dipsticks looking for Mocha - tan oil, water in oil, etc... then we'll know if we have a shot at a runner.

Guyfang

Staff member
Clean undercarriage has been stressed by the shippers, no foreign soil. Lots of cleaning and corrosion control to do.

This is something you need to heed. The Customs can and WILL take something shipped from out side the States, if it is not clean, of they find some sign of contamination from insects, wildlife or vegetable. Several years ago, I was in a thread here in SS, and someone had that happen to them. They did NOT get the vehicle back. So get smart. Call/write Customs and get REAL info. Not just the shipper. He get paid no matter what happens. Explain from where it is coming from. Customs is an organization that is real non understanding.

WOT

Clean undercarriage has been stressed by the shippers, no foreign soil. Lots of cleaning and corrosion control to do.

This is something you need to heed. The Customs can and WILL take something shipped from out side the States, if it is not clean, of they find some sign of contamination from insects, wildlife or vegetable. Several years ago, I was in a thread here in SS, and someone had that happen to them. They did NOT get the vehicle back. So get smart. Call/write Customs and get REAL info. Not just the shipper. He get paid no matter what happens. Explain from where it is coming from. Customs is an organization that is real non understanding.
Yes, I am in contact with US Customs, although they have told me that because Guam is an American Protectorate/Territory the vehicle is not subject to US Customs review. It's like moving the vehicle from one state to another. I am getting more clarification from an import and maritime lawyer and will see what they have to say. Additionally, the vehicle is made in the USA, however, my bigger concern is the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration of the Dept. of Transportation and they have supposedly been seen not allowing military vehicles into the mainland because they don't meet DOT standards, but I'm pretty sure this vehicle does with all LED lighting, etc... the tires may not be DOT, but I'm using it on my farm in Nevada, so, I don't think it will be an issue, and we'll get a determination prior to shipping the truck back to the mainland USA.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks