• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie looking for a TM for a 2006 M1148 A1R LHS not found here in TM area. TM-9-2320-392-10...

WOT

OK, so I wanted to write an update here as to the status of the M1148 A1R LHS on Guam. I've returned from my first trip to Guam and I can happily say that the truck is Running, Driving, and Stopping properly. It was a great troubleshooting experience that I have fully documented on the FaceBook LMTV Page and I'll be editing and updating my YouTube Channel (search for Tomm Dauenhauer and you'll find the video about a Veteran who bought a Dead Hook Truck...) on that experience soon. It's a bit detailed and takes a bit of time to edit. The military drained all the fluids AND kept all the Drain Plugs, so, that slowed me down quite a bit. I found a few good stores and shops who were able to help me find the parts and supplies I needed and luckily, I was able to get the truck working just within my 10 day time allocation there. I also met some very nice local people who were great help. I'm returning to Guam soon and will finalize shipping back to the US Mainland. The main thing to know about Guam in general is that there is lots of rain and hot, steamy jungle weather, so, corrosion and rust are the biggest problems with all of the vehicles there. I'm still dealing with some rust-related parts, but they'll be swapped-out upon arrival on the mainland. Thank you for all your kind help on this forum! If you have any questions, ask away. Enjoy the Ride!

BERZERKER888

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Getting quotes in the $20k range now.
what would smart money have done ?.. mainland shipping costs are @$20k on a $4200 truck?.. + "get it running costs" + transport costs to Nevada + another @ 4-5 digits to get the truck running "reliably"... plus I have seen the Guam trucks and they are total rust buckets and a never ending source financial headaches...
Smart money would purchase a local good running well sorted out truck with paperwork (registration/title) from a private party not a pot luck GP or MME truck. A well sorted truck from Bret, Alex, or Will will set you back @$15k OTD...with a reasonable resale value.. once a potential buyer hears " it's a Guam truck ".. you have a 10 ton paperweight on your hands...

but hindsight is always 20/20

I have nearly $35k into my 1078... and it has been 100% reliable for the last year...should I ever have to sell it .. I'd be lucky to get $10k..you have members that easily have hit 6 digits in their builds with the full expectation that there will never be a positive return on their "investment'...

these trucks are severely abused and neglected never ending money pits...

but the level of satisfaction of when you pull next to a $100k Mall Crawler Jeep with shiney tires is.... priceless..

Last edited:

WOT

what would smart money have done ?.. mainland shipping costs are @$20k on a $4200 truck?.. + "get it running costs" + transport costs to Nevada + another @ 4-5 digits to get the truck running "reliably"... plus I have seen the Guam trucks and they are total rust buckets and a never ending source financial headaches...
Smart money would purchase a local good running well sorted out truck with paperwork (registration/title) from a private party not a pot luck GP or MME truck. A well sorted truck from Bret, Alex, or Will will set you back @$15k OTD...with a reasonable resale value.. once a potential buyer hears " it's a Guam truck ".. you have a 10 ton paperweight on your hands...

but hindsight is always 20/20

I have nearly $35k into my 1078... and it has been 100% reliable for the last year...should I ever have to sell it .. I'd be lucky to get $10k..you have members that easily have hit 6 digits in their builds with the full expectation that there will never be a positive return on their "investment'...

these trucks are severely abused and neglected never ending money pits...

but the level of satisfaction of when you pull next to a $100k Mall Crawler Jeep with shiney tires is.... priceless..
True that. I readily admit to not being smart, but I sometimes like an adventure. There are other factors involved with this particular truck that go beyond an investment. I never expect to make money on vehicles by their value alone. I'm always interested in seeing other M1148's in the States as well, and TRUE - Guam vehicles are full of rust and corrosion. If you have time, please follow my new YouTube Channel -
It will give you a view into the future of the truck and the troubleshooting process, surprises, etc... I'm in the middle of editing the second episode - should be out soon, if work doesn't keep me on the road. Veterans should be very interested in this YouTube channel. We'll see if I ever get the chance to drive my 6x6 Hooklift "Private Coach" on USA Mainland roads and trails - I always love to see what showboat jeeps are doing down there on the street.

Third From Texas

I don't know that I've ever seen a M1148 in US civilian hands. I'm sure there are a few, but I don't even recall seeing one auctioned on GP stateside. The only one I can recall being auction on GP was yours. LOL

What's a good, running M1148 worth stateside? I've never seen Bret, Alex, or Will offer one for sale.

I think you'll be OK if the time ever comes to sell it....just based on what it is, what it can can do, and the fact that nobody else has or has ever had one for sale.

*bonus points for the adventures

Last edited:

WOT

I don't know that I've ever seen a M1148 in US civilian hands. I'm sure there are a few, but I don't even recall seeing one auctioned on GP stateside. The only one I can recall being auction on GP was yours. LOL

What's a good, running M1148 worth stateside? I've never seen Bret, Alex, or Will offer one for sale.

I think you'll be OK if the time ever comes to sell it....just based on what it is, what it can can do, and the fact that nobody else has or has ever had one for sale.

*bonus points for the adventures
I saw an M1148 for sale on eBay in Hawaii 8 years ago. Last one I ever saw in the wild. I originally wanted to put a hooklift on a tandem axle commercial truck, then, I started working on a crewcab fire engine, removed the pump and tank, but it was still too lightweight. Then, I was looking at Oshkosh HEMTT hooklifts and they were pretty rare and pricey in public, and then Oshkosh got a contract to upgrade all old HEMTT's and we've all seen that there are hardly any showing-up surplus, so, when this showed-up, I went for it. Still happy I bought it. There is primarily surface rust, but it still requires a full breakdown and sand blasting and repaint and replacement of several items. It will be a cool truck when I'm done with it. I have a big shop and will spend the winter going through it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks