• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie looking to buy MEP802a or MEP831a

hammick

Hi guys. I just joined. I'm looking at two different sets. First is a nice looking 2002 MEP-802a with 149 hours on the meter. The seller is retired and got into military generators and trailers as a hobby. He bought a lot of 22 MEP-802a. I have detailed photos of the engine and all electronics. It looks new. He pained it sand color and it looks like a professional job. He says he thoroughly goes through everything and cleans them up. The inside paint is the stock green. His bottom dollar is $2,700 and I'll probably have $250-$300 in shipping. He gives a gentleman's extended warranty which means he will fix it for you if he has the parts. He is too far for me to let him work on it so basically he will send me a spare part if something breaks (assuming he has it). Price includes a spare set of filters and the milspec solar trickle charger.

Second unit is 2004 MEP-831a with 108 hours on the meter. The inside looks really clean and it has a 24v battery installed (not two 12v). The outside is in good condition. I can get it for $1000 and six hours driving round trip.

My other option is to try to win one the Gov auction sites.

What are your guys thought on these prices assuming they operate like new and hours are correct?

How much money can I expect to save at auction? I'm pretty mechanically inclined and like working on stuff and cleaning it up. But I have no diesel motor experience and would be pretty unhappy if I bough one that needed lots of parts or had a seized motor.

Thanks for any guidance.

Link to photos: https://goo.gl/photos/ePrSM9axmeoT4Qsy7

20160401_123943.jpg20160401_123958.jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpgs-l1600 (2).jpgs-l1600 (3).jpgs-l1600 (5).jpgs-l1600 (1).jpgs-l1600 (6).jpg

Last edited:

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those are not unreasonable for tested and working units. You could pay more for total unknowns at auctions these days. The prices have spiraled up to insane levels.

hammick

The guy with the MEP-831 just sent me some videos. Machine is running and making power. Everything seems to work except he cannot shut it down with the off switch or the emergency stop button. The emergency stop button kills the power and lowers the RPM a lot but the motor keeps running. Looks like the governor or actuator magnet has an issue. It might be a simple adjustment but it makes me uneasy, especially with a six hour drive roundtrip.

I looked at the manual. It says if the engine will not shut down with the switch in the off position or with the emergency stop button to verify actuator level is touching magnet and if not to manually move actuator lever tomagnet.

Is this as easy as it sounds? He says he paid around $800 through GL and it came with the military battery.

Last edited:

hammick

Thanks for the info. I'm hesitant on the MEP-831a. Looks like some of the electrical parts cost almost as much as the generator.

The guy that is offering me the MEP802a has three of the 831a gensets and doesn't really care for them. He has governor issues on all three.

jamawieb

Go for the 802a. From experience and you can ask a lot of ex-military, the 831a's are problematic. They have problems with the speed controller, governors and exciters. Also batteries for the 831a's are insanely high.
If you buy from the government websites (in our area) expect to pay $1000-$5000 for 802a, and especially expect to pay high dollar for low hour units.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
here you go someone else had the same issue that has be observed with the gen set. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?134803-MEP-831a-Troubleshooting/page5
Yea, that would be me. I've earned plenty of experience with the speed controllers on those. They are problematic.

Does the speed controller otherwise work OK? Does the engine speed go up and down like its supposed to as the load changes? If it does that OK it could be a simple adjustment. If it doesn't control engine speed the speed controller is likely toast.

hammick

Yea, that would be me. I've earned plenty of experience with the speed controllers on those. They are problematic.

Does the speed controller otherwise work OK? Does the engine speed go up and down like its supposed to as the load changes? If it does that OK it could be a simple adjustment. If it doesn't control engine speed the speed controller is likely toast.
I'm not sure. I didn't buy it and probably won't after everything I have read here.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good choice Hammick. I just acquired an 802A myself. They are really great units. This site is a priceless resource. I've been able to correct several minor problems by reading posts and TM's here on this site. With a $0.50 fuse, my unit is now charging the new batteries I installed!

hammick

I feel a little guilty that I didn't buy from auction. The 802s are scarce for some reason and the 803s are plentiful.

This one is going to our off grid place in Montana. If I decide to do one at our house for power backup, I'm definitely going auction and getting my hands dirty.

hammick

I also bought a trailer. It has an eight lug bolt pattern. Anybody know if it's the same lug pattern as my 3/4 ton Chevy truck?

s-l1600 (12).jpg

JRM

yes, I also plan to sell the HMMWV tires and replace them with some stock wheels that are plentiful on craigslist as kids raise there duramax trucks :)
Sweet looking unit, your right the 802's only come up here and there- I also plan to snag one for my fathers place. I just test ran my house on my 803 that I picked up a few weeks ago and shocking to me it hit 80% when the well kicked on. I expected 30% tops

IMG_20160403_133727.jpg

Last edited:

hammick

yes, I also plan to sell the HMMWV tires and replace them with some stock wheels that are plentiful on craigslist as kids raise there duramax trucks :)
Sweet looking unit, your right the 802's only come up here and there- I also plan to snag one for my fathers place. I just test ran my house on my 803 that I picked up a few weeks ago and shocking to me it hit 80% when the well kicked on. I expected 30% tops
Good to know the bolt pattern is the same. In a pinch I should be able to use the spare from my truck. When I bought my Duramax I went out of my way to find one with 18" wheels. They ride better than the 20" which are more common. Those kids do crazy stuff to their trucks and most of them never tow anything.

That's strange on your well pump taxing the 802 at 80%. Is it just the startup up surge or does it stay at 80%?

My 230v 3/4 horse Grundfos well pump only draws 8.3a and has soft start so no surge. I would expect my 802 to show about 32% if just the pump is running.

Mine will be wired into a Schneider 48v Solar inverter/charger that produces 120/240v power. For now my biggest loads are the well pump, a 10 cubic foot fridge and 1000w microwave. I will pick up a couple more cheap harbor freight heat guns so I can control the loads when doing periodic exercising of the genset. I don't think using it for charging on cloudy days will put a big enough load on it.

Down the road if we build a house it will get a proper workout.

Last edited:

JRM

that's a 803A :) its sagging for sure, even with its 2" leveling kit add a leaf- 1220LB (truck scale empty vs loaded) the well pump is a 2HP pump 100' away. 80% was startup but then it held at 50% while pumping doing a normal simulated power outage load. I got lots of crusty soot all over the top of the unit- and it smoked blue rather than black when at the higher loads.....hmmm
I never drive the Toyota (highschool ride 2 decades back) I just waxed it and slip it into the back of my heated garage for safe keeping so im currently using as a powered generator dolly :) I do jack the rear end up and put a 6x6 under the receiver to release the stress off the springs during storage.

Last edited:

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got lots of crusty soot all over the top of the unit- and it smoked blue rather than black when at the higher loads.....hmmm
I would recommend running the dog-crap out of the generator for a while. Get it up to 50% and above for periods of time. Then see if it still smokes (blue). I've had several that did that when warming up but not when hot. Running them hard for a while cleared up the issue completely in every case. An electric clothes dryer makes a great load for a 802 and a OK load for an 803. Most are in the 4500w range when heating. It cycles the heating element once it gets up to temp which varies the load on the generator. You can pick them up on craigslist for $50. And dry your clothes at the same time. Waste not. :D

The low time 803 I have for home backup does the same thing. I've not had time to run it enough to loosen and/or seat everything. I'm on a big project thousands of miles away from my generators. :(

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can get oddly high readings if the contacts in the selector switch on the front panel are not making perfect contact.
The circuit for the load meter are switched in that switch and contact resistance will goof up the current reading.
You can try to "exercise" the selector switch to polish the contacts.
It made a big difference on my 802's current readings.

hammick

Isn't that the Genset thats for sale on an auction site we all know?
Yes. The trailer is mine and it will have a sand colored 802 with about 160 hours (photo above). I'm assuming he will take the listing down shortly. The camo 802 was bought by my friend and he is getting a different trailer. I skipped the external tank.

I believe the trailer I bought is an LTT-TQG. It originally had an 803 on it I think.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks