• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie Needs Advice on HMMWV

cg25713

NDT & All: If there is water in the oil and it appears milky, couldn't I just change the oil a few times in a row to flush it out?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NDT & All: If there is water in the oil and it appears milky, couldn't I just change the oil a few times in a row to flush it out?
No, the water has entered the combustion chambers and will sit there before it eventually oozes into the crankcase, but what happens is the steel rings get corroded in place on the aluminum pistons.

cg25713

One other question for you guys. Could this be made into a 4 door and could I easily install a tailgate if I wanted?

cg25713

I understand NDT. Rust and corrosion freeze the engine up. But they should mention that as a possibility - Guess that might be tough. Listings I've seen do mention if the engine is bad though.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I understand NDT. Rust and corrosion freeze the engine up. But they should mention that as a possibility - Guess that might be tough. Listings I've seen do mention if the engine is bad though.
On the naturally aspirated engines, the missing rain cap at the Georgia site meant wet engine. BUT this is a turbo and so few of these have been sold, that MAYBE water did not get into the engine because the turbo and the intake manifold are so high up.

cg25713

Thanks NDT. Can you tell what is missing from the pictures? Does the AC compressor go between the two hoses? If not, what does?

Also - do you know what TM should I be looking at for this truck? TB 9-2320-335-13&P indicates its only for serial numbers 300000 and above and 9-2320-387-24-1 and 2 don't include my MSN number which is 2320-01-540-2007. This is why I though perhaps its not a M1152A1 like the listing says. What do you think?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The A/C compressor goes where the hoses are, they are attached with bolts. The compressor is available. It appears the expensive start box is missing. Your NSN ending in 2007 is correct, it is painted on the hood, and that is the NSN for a 1152A1. The serial number is correct for your year. Unusual observations: Why is the serial number on the yellow sticker on the windshield 621681? Why is there a Melton sticker on the valve cover? That along with the intake being painted black means rebuilt engine. Meaning it could be a GM engine, not an AM General engine. Why would a truck with 200 miles need a rebuilt engine? Maybe 200 miles is wrong.

cg25713

Thank you again. I really appreciate your time and input. I also thought about the windshield serial number vs. what they say it is. Also might only be 200 miles on it b/c thats when the engine went bad. Do you think definitely or possibly rebuilt?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The A/C compressor goes where the hoses are, they are attached with bolts. The compressor is available. It appears the expensive start box is missing. Your NSN ending in 2007 is correct, it is painted on the hood, and that is the NSN for a 1152A1. The serial number is correct for your year. Unusual observations: Why is the serial number on the yellow sticker on the windshield 621681? Why is there a Melton sticker on the valve cover? That along with the intake being painted black means rebuilt engine. Meaning it could be a GM engine, not an AM General engine. Why would a truck with 200 miles need a rebuilt engine? Maybe 200 miles is wrong.
Why would a truck with 26 miles get a replacement engine? Mine did. Lucky me they replaced the GM block with a GEP.
From what I understand they rebuild the HMMWVs every 10 years whether they need it or not, and have a budget for them that they try to use all of whether it needs anything or not.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think defina
Thank you again. I really appreciate your time and input. I also thought about the windshield serial number vs. what they say it is. Also might only be 200 miles on it b/c thats when the engine went bad. Do you think definitely or possibly rebuilt?
I think definitely rebuilt. I think it got that engine and a new speedometer in 2012 along with the super nice paint job it has. Then USMC drove it for 200 miles and parked it. Then some dumbazz mechanic needed a fording intake years ago and took yours, leaving the intake open to the rain.

Back to your original question, if I wanted a factory ECV turbo HMMWV I would keep that one. I would pick a nice paint job over a running engine. Paint job is weeks of work, engine swap is a weekend.

cg25713

Thanks for all your help. Very much appreciated. I need to weigh my options and do more research on the registration issues. Thanks again. Let me know if you have any more thought.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for all your help. Very much appreciated. I need to weigh my options and do more research on the registration issues. Thanks again. Let me know if you have any more thought.
Remember the VIN is only stamped on the main data plate. It is always possible that that plate might get lost requiring you to title it as a 1985. That happened on my 2002.

cg25713

I'll check that out - thanks. I'm leaning towards going for it. Rebuilt or not - I think she'll turn over with everything in place. Feelin' lucky.

Reactions: NDT

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
My two cents... From the pictures you have one of the cheaper winning bids for this model. Looks to be mostly complete. Remember surplus doesn't mean 500 dollars jeeps in a crate... Not any more.

They all are going to be a project. Ready - set - go for it.

Take the plunge (that it didn't), CAMO

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Action PM'ed me to say:

"There are m1152a1 and m1165a1 selling. They have turbo and 4 l80e. I think the “a1” in these cases designated the underbody and rocker armor."

Thanks Action! Always appreciate your PM's and knowledge!

Best,

T

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks to me from the photos that the intake hose from the air cleaner to the engine intake is off. That means that rainwater couldn't have made it to the engine.

cwc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NDT, good point about the Melton rebuild possibly being a GM block rather than a GEP. I have a Melton rebuild here from a M1045A2 from Albany; it is a GEP block but also overbored to the max.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are missing the turbo-doghouse cover, intake hose from box to manifold, a/c parts, doors, rear door fillers, You're missing headlights, although I see an LED light lying in one of the pictures face down in the bed. You're missing the battery retention bracket. Not sure if you have a passenger side seat and battery compartment cover that attaches to the seat. Mirrors are gone but can be replaced with aftermarket. The plug to the Cadillac Valve looks fried.

You might be missing PCB. You are missing the windshield washer water tank and pump. You need to pick up truck in person because in a couple of pictures the passenger seat is there but detached, and the turbocover is there but detached. THEY WILL DISAPPEAR if you don't get the truck personally!

Engine might be OK because the intake air hose is missing between the box and the engine. Turbo might be seized but a turbo cartridge is cheap.

You have a 4 speed tranny.

Last edited:

cg25713

My ongoing thank you very much to you all. Very helpful and informative. So glad I asked here. I'm thinking you all are about 60/40 in favor of going forward. Although a good price, sounds like i'll likely be spending the same if not more than the auction market price when i'm done.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks