• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie Needs Help with Purchase

SlowMo

I'm new to Steel Solders and Vintage Mil-Surp Vehicles.

I'm looking for a 1990s era M923A2 and was wondering what kind of pricing should I expect.

Any advise would be a big help and appreciated.

Thanks

S/M

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
HI NEW guy :-D well most go from 1,500 to 2,500 or so but then theirs shipping un less its close and the GL will let you drive it out:driver:.
That's if it runs hope this helps where are you can some times get them on ebay or other sites for 5 to 7 k already titled too.

FloridaAKM

There is one here in North Florida that is for sale with very low miles, repainted tan by uncle sugar, that the owner wants a paltry $12,500.00 for. Its a nice truck, but the price is wayyyyyyyy out there. GL auctions have gone for $6500 to $7500 depending on the shape & whose bidding on it lately. It seems that cheap fell off the radar around here in the South. By the way, welcome to the site & good luck on finding your truck!

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site.

Depends on where it is, where you are (Smalville USA is not helpful), whether it's running in the video, how many are at auction at the same time, what it comes with (spare tire, troop seats, bows, cover), number of flat/ruined tires, recent rebuild date, etc. Auction prices around here range from around 3500-6500 before fees and taxes.

mcmullag

Welcome. You can pick up a lot of pricing knowledge by looking on Craigslist, Ebay, and watching some GL auctions. You will help yourself if you identify what area and state you are from, people will then know here if it is worth responding to you about a truck they might have for sale, etc. if you are in their region.

k5ontherocks

Welcome, yes a better ,more specific location would help.Around here trucks have been going for $3000 to $8000(which amazed me last week when an M931A2 went for that on GL). Theres a lot of good threads about costs of ownership. I read and studied for almost a year before I bought mine, and im still suprised at some of the unexpected expenses and issues. That said, I love my truck and cant wait till the budget allows another one!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
SlowMo welcome to the site.

First some house keeping. Part of the registration requirements state that you must list your State of residence. Smallville USA does not qualify.

Be aware that most states require you to have a CDL and air brake endorsement to drive the M939 series trucks.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Being in Smalville, you're not allowed to have one. The town is too Smal or small.

Please post a real location. It's not like the govt doesn't already know where you live.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Being in Smalville, you're not allowed to have one. The town is too Smal or small.

Please post a real location. It's not like the govt doesn't already know where you live.
Hey maybe he wants the 5 ton to compensate for smalville.

SlowMo

Well If Barnac's after me me I guess I'd better find a bigger town :tinkerbell: (Great avatar)

I really appreciate all the replies. I have been checking GL, Ebay etc and I hate to buy something I can't do a hand-on with.

S/M

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Compensation

Your guys are too friggen funny.

I spit my coffee!!!
It's the boyfriends of the girls that are staring up at us that use the 'compensation' theme to keep them from jumping in our trucks. I started that rumor with my girlfriend decades ago when she saw her first corvette.

You go buy that big truck and show em' that all that matters, is how you use it.

MtnSnow

well with you being from Phoenix you have 4 GL locations within a reasonable distance. Fort Huachuca AZ, Barstow CA, Nelis AFB NV. and Fontana CA Pricing can really go all over the board but from what I have watched and bought mine for was around 3500 to 5k before taxes and fees for a "running" truck. As mentioned before it is best to physically preview a truck as just because it moved 20 feet under it's own power in a video does not mean it's road worthy!

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I've been to Phoenix, it ain't that small. Try the 4 dwellings in the roundabout. My crystal ball told me you were from Phoenix but I didn't want to blow the whistle on you or to not make you admit it.

You are probably in the location with the greatest buying opportunity for the coming months to a year. Take your time and keep watch. If you want one that's already been looked at, you have several super nice folks that can help you out within a could hours drive. In the last 6 months the prices have went down on the 5 tons. If you're paying 5 figures, you're either paying way too much or it better come with a warranty. There are some deals every now and then for sub-$5K and even sub-$3K trucks but a lot depends on year, model, engine, miles, hours, tarp, hardtop/softtop, bows, sideracks, damage, paint job, etc, etc.

SlowMo

Thanks Guys,

I've search te forums and couldn't find all the answers to the following;

What are the most common mechanical issues with a Unit listed by GL?

What are a list of the most missing accessories from a GL Unit?

I apologize if the info is posted as I somethings suffer from CRS....

Average shipping costs for a 5-ton coast to coast and midwest to the west?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have had to swap out a motor that was bad. I will be swapping a trans in another. Other than that, the control boxes go bad, tires leak, and air dryers need attention. OH! I also had to swap out the connecting bar that goes behind the front axle.

whiskey357

Banned
welcome and salutes to you .....the green bugs bite again........buy it drive it have fun with it,,,,,,,, prices are all over the 3-6k range in most places....I go to Wi. and got mine....great places...to look......be sure to look first iffn you can....again welcome

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Take the technical manual staple it to a wall and throw a dart. That's what is wrong. It could be anything. Figure you will need new batteries, 100% replacement of ALL fluids, check and replace as needed all bearings; grease, missing tarps bows sideracks, missing/inop lights, missing shackles, seat maybe ripped, air transfer maybe stuck, engine might be seized, transmission or transfer maybe inop, you name it, it could be wrong. It/s a crap shoot and that has been posted about on many many times for just about every newb that comes on here that is on the fence about getting a military vehicle.

You also need to worry about a CDL/class A license with airbrake endorsement and insurance.

There is a very good sticky posted in the deuce section. Everything on it applies to the 5 ton except it costs more.

I would not consider shipping for you. Get to know the local folks that can help with a recovery and make it happen. A face to face with them would normally result in getting a lot of questions answered, a test drive to see if it is for you, and they'll probably help execute the pickup for you since you are so close to so many GL sites.

Time to drop the pole and get to know your locals.