• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

newbie on site

bkwudzhom

Hey folks,
I found your site and liked what I have seen so far. Lookin for a truck and want a solid one. I'm not afraid to get dirty but time and funds are limited. I'm in Ga. and would like A/C but the M1008 stays in my brain. Any suggestions on where to start will be greatly appreciated.
bk

alphadeltaromeo

RE: newbie

Well welcome aboard! Glad to have another GA SS'er. Make sure you attend the GA Rally that Clinto/BFR put on later in the year...it's really excellent.

Andy

Bozor1000

Welcome to the site. A/C in your truck. If you were in the military, you should know that you didn't have those civilian comforts. I live in Southern California and have a m1008 and I don't have a/c in it. As a matter of fact I live in Riverside which is pretty hot!

pa.rich

Get a civvie and paint it camo. Theres your A/C possibility. Also welcome aboard. Lots of newbees lately. The fam is growing! I like the name backwoods home! It took me awhile but I am there now. Plenty of room for toys!

littlebob

Welcome to the site. Brother-in-Law went to Iraq and said they had A/C's in the Humvees, but it was only enough to keep the electronics from getting fried.

littlebob

JohnnyReb

Welcome to another GA member.
My deuce HAS A/C! just open the little panels next to the floor and drive as fast as you can for air flow. I bet it lowers the cab temperature in the Ga summertime by a good 2-5 degrees.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
OK BK - if you want air, buy a Volvo or something. If you want some real metal - go for power and weight. Get a real live Military Vehicle Vehicle with no frills (well MV's just do not come with frills). You will be happy in Georgia sweating your buns off trying to get the beast started, then driving without power steering, then fixing it frequently when she breaks down.
Man - it's the life!!
Welcome aboard fellow Georgian! Now if you really want to play, you gotta harden up a little!!

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Welcome to the Steel Soldiers. I would look at an M1009 since they are geared higher and get better milage. You can take the fiberglass top off and have plenty of redneck AC. If you need to haul sometimes find an M101 trailer for it and only get lower milage when you need to. Just my 2 cents.

Funny thing about the AC in UAH's in Iraq, they used a commercial version and the cold air they put out of the dash was not enough to cool the truck due to high heat transfer through the floor and high ambient temps outside. Soldiers perferred the Red Dot aftermarket add on kits because they came with tubes that carried the cold air and they could be directed right on the Soldiers.

The bad thing was we did not have a vehicle mechanic in the Army that had trained on maintaing vehicle AC. If a UAH lost AC it was NMCM. The Army should have send mechanics to an auto trade school as part of there pre deployment training but I could not get them to approve that COA no matter how much sense it makes. A lot of AC units got messed up due to this shortfall.

bkwudzhom

Know from being a MARINE in Desert Storm that they dont have A/C but with a 2 yr old in tow it will be necessary. I have considered a civi version but it seems that it may cost less to put a/c in a cucv than make a civi into a cucv. It's kinda one of those times Iwill know what I want when I see it I guess.

Haha...no he didnt come up with that himself I've heard it before, but the old saying used to be "four-fifty air conditioning" for the old sedans back in the 60-70's. Oh and you don't need A/C...you have the little side vents by your feet...wear shorts, it works very well to cool you down up the shorts. :D The side vent windows work weel for this also. rofl rofl

AJMBLAZER

Someone on here put a link to a company that makes an AC kit for the CUCV's. Adds on with the 24v two alternator system and everything, like it was there from the factory. Pricey though.

I know your thought process and would start with a CUCV too. Low mileage (well, lower than a similar civilian K5), low options (find me a 21-25 year old GM power door or window switch that still works right), the diesel, and good shape (relatively...nothing is soldier proof). Replace the TH400 with a 700R4 and regear it to a lower gear ratio and suddenly it's a whole different vehicle. Add AC and you've got the new family wagon.
Well, some sound proofing would be good too.

GovLiquidation has had a number of CUCV's in your region lately. Not sure if any of them are runners though.

bkwudzhom

AJMBLAZER said:
Someone on here put a link to a company that makes an AC kit for the CUCV's. Adds on with the 24v two alternator system and everything, like it was there from the factory. Pricey though.

I know your thought process and would start with a CUCV too. Low mileage (well, lower than a similar civilian K5), low options (find me a 21-25 year old GM power door or window switch that still works right), the diesel, and good shape (relatively...nothing is soldier proof). Replace the TH400 with a 700R4 and regear it to a lower gear ratio and suddenly it's a whole different vehicle. Add AC and you've got the new family wagon.
Well, some sound proofing would be good too.

GovLiquidation has had a number of CUCV's in your region lately. Not sure if any of them are runners though.
Tks! I think we on the same page. So far all I'v found is a M880 for $800.

I was just on GL and they have five or six 1009's in FL, GA, LA. (bidding starting in late March)
bkwudz, look under "Utility Trucks" There is a pretty nice looking '84 1009 68k mi. at Warner Robins AFB, GA. but like AJMBLAZER said don't know if they run.
www.craigslist.org might be a good place to look.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks