• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie Seeking Help - Leaks

DeuceDad

I am a first time deuce owner and have loved it since picking it up back in May. I had her in a parade this past weekend with my son's JROTC high school unit and it was blast. With the cold weather setting in though I have noticed some leaking and it does not appear to be completely oil from the engine. My guess is the cold weather settling in SW Missouri is causing shrinkage and I am seeing leaks where there weren't any before. I am also trying to get an ID on the engine since the data plate has peeled. I am hoping some of you MV experts can help me troubleshoot these items in the meantime I will continue to look at the TMs and other posts. I need to get it back to storage, approx. 1 1/2 miles away, think I can do so without harming her? I can better work on her while in storage.

Any help/advice is much appreciated. :-D

Pic 1 & 2 are showing some fluid leakage, but is not oil...coolant? (I also notice I have lost a threaded plug)

Pic 3 - is a close up of the non-oil fluid by some gaskets

Pic 4 - is small fitting, lower left hand side, oil is leaking here, but does not appear to be coming from the fitting, but somewhere else along the line, hard to see

Pic 5 - Engine ID plate, any ideas on make and model

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
It's either an LDT465-1C or 1D.

In order to diagnose multiple leaks like that, we usually degrease the heck out of the engine, top and bottom and wash it thoroughly.... then let it run and if necessary drive it 1-5 miles in order to get it to leak just enough to pinpoint the origin of the leak(s).

Have you checked the oil and coolant? Oil still nice and black and coolant nice and green? No cross contamination?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Pic #4 is the oil feed line to your IP. Those do go bad and having oil NOT get to the IP would be bad. It will be a PITA, but you should pull that hose off and have a new one made sooner than later. Did you touch the fluid and/or smell it for those other leaks? I can tell if something is gear oil by smell, coolant by feel, and oil by both.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Other than the line feeding the IP, your leaks are almost insignificant. As was mentioned, no worries on the missing plug, its only used for fording operations. Usually there is an extra boss on the bellhousing with the plug in it but yours doesn't have that. Can you toss a magnet on the bell to see if it's iron, I've seen both. Welcome to Steel Soldiers

Parker2

Also looks like your rear main is leaking. If so just wait till you have to pull the tranny and then fix it. I have been waiting years to do that. I hope I keep waiting. :)

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
What leads you to think rear main? In looking at those pics again, I bet it could be something as simple as an oilpan bolt being loose.

DeuceDad

Thanks Guys!! (re: Newbie Seeking Help)

Everyone, many thanks to all of you that replied to my post. I am resting a little easier now. I am going to reply individually to the posts, since there were questions I need to answer. Thanks again!

DeuceDad

Reply to question - Thanks Gimpyrobb

Pic #4 is the oil feed line to your IP. Those do go bad and having oil NOT get to the IP would be bad. It will be a PITA, but you should pull that hose off and have a new one made sooner than later. Did you touch the fluid and/or smell it for those other leaks? I can tell if something is gear oil by smell, coolant by feel, and oil by both.

I looked real close, felt and smelled the fluids, got a head cold right now so I am not too confident in my sense of smell, but the non-oil fluid drops in pic #3 is greenish in color which makes me think coolant, but where would it come from way down there? Looks like it has leaked for a bit since Sunday, there is evidence of a puddle (approx. 12 inch diameter) that has been absorbed by the asphalt. The leak in pic #4 is definitely an oil leak, oil is black. I need to look at the dip stick and remove the radiator cap to see if there is anything screwy with the fluids at this end.

:grin:

DeuceDad

Thanks clinto (re: Newbie Seeking Help)

It's either an LDT465-1C or 1D.

In order to diagnose multiple leaks like that, we usually degrease the heck out of the engine, top and bottom and wash it thoroughly.... then let it run and if necessary drive it 1-5 miles in order to get it to leak just enough to pinpoint the origin of the leak(s).

Have you checked the oil and coolant? Oil still nice and black and coolant nice and green? No cross contamination?

I am going to check the dip stick and remove the radiator cap and take a look to see if there is any cross-contamination, but if there is, what could be the cause? Also, you think I can safely drive to look for leaks without doing any damage?

DeuceDad

Thanks Gimpyrobb and Parker2.... I am going to check for loose oil pan bolts and I will wait to change the seal if that is the culprit.

DeuceDad

Thanks (re: Newbie Seeking Help)

What leads you to think rear main? In looking at those pics again, I bet it could be something as simple as an oilpan bolt being loose.
The bell housing plug is only used durring fording.
How far down does your slobber tube extend?

I am resting better now, knowing I did not lose a plug, I learned something valuable about putting that plug in before going through water. Many thanks!

:razz:

steelandcanvas

I think the 12" coolant puddle over a period of 4 days would have me a little concerned. Like Clinto said, I would de-grease her real good and look for the source of the coolant leak. I can't think of anything to zero in on for the leak, but most likely coming from the top-end somewhere. Other than that, your Deuce looks like all the rest underneath. Don't worry about that bell housing plug, it's just a 3/4" pipe plug. When not in use (fording streams) it goes onto a closed threaded hole right next to the opening.

Troll1216

i really think you have a radiator leak.... the greenish tint to the oil pan ect. tells me that it might be blowing onto the fan, check for leaks there too.

DeuceDad

Changing Oil Line

I know that oil feed line is going to be a pain, do I need to drain the oil to change it out since it is pretty high about the lower oil pan? Any recommendations where I can get a new one made (Autozone, etc...?)