• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie starting to get ready to BOB...

Norsemen308

Well guys I have been trolling this site for about a year now and saving funds to build my first bob'd deuce but I have a few questions.

first, Do I have to put front springs on the rear axle? Whats the cons if I don't?

2nd, i know some people are flipping the rear hubs, and some are just leaving the rear alone and flipping the rear rim. Which do you guys prefer?

pretty basic newb questions but just trying to get my plan all sketched out...

Westech

CPL
well try to use the rear stock deuce springs to bob.. let me know how it works out. The rear hubs are up to you. I like to flip mine but its 50/50.

Welcome to SS and let us know when you buy a deuce. (then you will know about the rear springs)

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
You need the front springs from a donor deuce or you can hack up a M105 trailer.....there have been several threads on this subject.

I used M105 springs on my first bobber and I had to buy the mounts from Memphis Equipment.....they are real proud of them.

As for the rears I used duel tires and put 1100x20's in place of the stock tires...I think it looks goofy to use a stock rim and turn it around.

Attachments

Seth_O

I used the M105 springs since I bought the trailer for the bed anyway. Deuce front springs and hardware are pretty spendy if you have to ship them. I am not real keen on the lift blocks, but it gets the job done and is safe enough for what I am doing.

I singled and flipped my hubs. I can't imagine disassembling the tires/wheels and flipping the rims. Singling/flipping the hubs was a one afternoon project for me by myself with nothing but hand tools.

Seth_O

I built the blocks out of 3.5" square tubing (1/4" wall) and cut them 4.5" long. It was just scrap piece that I got from the steel yard, once notched for the seam on the axle they worked perfectly. I probably could have gone 1/2" longer and gotten a little more level, but I wanted the blocks as short as possible.

oddshot

were did you get your lifting blocks? do you use any kind of block? also what size did you use?
When I was making plans to bob my Deuce, using a M105 trailer, I found this site to be VERY informative ... and Mike is VERY helpful.

XM381

BTW ... the rear springs from a Deuce will help you build your bobber.

You can use leaves (the last 3 of them) from the Deuce rear spring set ... You can combine them with the Trailer spring to put together a spring "package" with load rates that are very similar to the originals.

Also because those leaves are just a bit thicker, you don't need to come up with such a large lifting block.

I was able to cut down the four upper "helper" springs from the Trailer to make my lifting blocks.

Also, I didn't have to drill homes for, or mount, the stops for the trailer's "helper" springs.

In that manner, all I had to buy was the U-bolts.

oddshot

Last edited:

Seth_O

Norsemen: here are a couple of the best pic's I could find on my SSD while at work - I can take more when I get home. I would not have gone any longer on the blocks, the extra 1/2" of lift was not worth the aesthetic of being 'more level' in my opinion.

And be aware - the u-bolts are CRAZY expensive.

Attachments