• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie with M1008 questions

roady

Hello all I am new to the forum and have been doing a bunch of reading here the last few days. I am looking for a M1008 truck for fun and work. I am going to look at one tomorrow from a private seller that is supposed to be really nice. I have also been looking for the last few weeks on the GL site. I have a few questions in regards to buying from the GL site. When the add states that there are "no keys does not run" how do you bid on something like that? With your experience do you think that it just doesn't run because of no keys or that maybe it wouldn't run even if it had keys.

One of the ones I looked at stated the above as well as a bent drive shaft. I figure that is from the moving with forklift that I read here... What would be a rough guess of what that would be worth? Is there anything I should do in advance to prepare for when getting ready to bid on something to make the process smoother? Is there any good reading like a "GL for Dummies" I could read to help me with that.

If anybody knows of a decent one available via private or GL in the MD, PA, DE, VA area let me know.

Thanks in advance for a great site and any help or guidance provided.

ABN173

It's hit and miss with GL Roady, but there are deals to be had for sure. As far as CUCV keys go there are key codes or you can ask a SS member to make a copy and mail you one as all the keys are the same(or should be unless the locks/ignition switch had been replaced).

With GL SCREENING before bidding is highly recomended! Keep in mind GL has few employees none of which are gonna spend much time with a vehicle that comes in, They may try crank it and see if it starts or has obvious parts missing or damage but it is not a detailed inspection. A buddy of mine bought a M1009 that was listed as having electrical problems, he replaced one battery and a starter relay and he was good to go.

That being said Good Luck!

Dale

Last edited:

ABN173

Oh one more thing inventory constantly changes so if your not in a rush and have a few months to play with you can find what you want on GL for a good price, fair warning though the EUC paperwork/waiting is a real PITA.

ABN173

wait story

ABN173 is right , the euc wait is a killer, just like being in the military all over, "hurry up & wait"
Yeah it is, here is my "wait story"

I had just PCS'd from FT Benning, GA to FT Lewis, WA and I opted for a dity/ do-it-yourself move so I pulled a trailer with my Dodge Durango all the way to FT Lewis, I made it up here fine but shortly after arriving I started having engine problems, first it was a fuel injector rebuild $1300, then it was back in the shop and fixed for a rocker arm problem (another $400) then it still kept throwing rocker arms so it was then towed to the dealer and had to have a engine rebuild, which I will not mention the cost of.....lets just say there went my tax return and most of my travel settlement.

Here is the BEST part the whole time all I had was my motorcycle to drive to work with (in the snow/ice) and there was a great running M1008 which was mine (as I had won/ already paid for it) that I could not touch until the EUC cleared!!!

Try going grocery shopping for the family on a motorcycle..... yeah not so much:-D

Dale

Last edited:

roady

Thanks for all the quick replies. I have read a few of the horror stories on the ECU and have read some where they have gotten them really quick. Is there any thing I could do in advance to make sure everything goes nice and smooth?

I love riding my motorcycle but having to make it my primary ride in the snow and ice and grocery shopping would surely take the fun out of it. That must have really been a bummer knowing that you have something sitting there ready to go but cant use it.

ABN173

Is there any thing I could do in advance to make sure everything goes nice and smooth?
Little things may help like ensuring your Driver's License address is current and matches the address on your EUC application will help.

GL did not want to send mine up to the last step (Battle Creek) for their review because my address on my DL did not match my physical address. I had to jump through a few hoops to explain/prove why on that one. Just stating I moved due to a military transfer was not enough.

All in all though it was worth the extra trouble.

Good Luck,
Dale

roady

Well I just got back from looking and driving my first M1008. Truck was in real nice shape with new tires and new paint and as far as I could tell rust free. There was a new drive shaft on the truck. I bet I know how that happened... Truck also drove and started fine.

Are these trucks glow plugs automatic with the ignition from the factory or is there button to push for them to be activated? This one there was a button on the right side of the steering column that you pushed in for a few seconds and then started the truck.

I will probably check out an auction in the next few weeks to look for a better deal. I dont mind a little bit of sweat equity.

Thanks again for all the replies and great info.

ABN173

Well I just got back from looking and driving my first M1008. Truck was in real nice shape with new tires and new paint and as far as I could tell rust free. There was a new drive shaft on the truck. I bet I know how that happened... Truck also drove and started fine.

Are these trucks glow plugs automatic with the ignition from the factory or is there button to push for them to be activated? This one there was a button on the right side of the steering column that you pushed in for a few seconds and then started the truck.

I will probably check out an auction in the next few weeks to look for a better deal. I dont mind a little bit of sweat equity.

Thanks again for all the replies and great info.
Randy glow plugs work automatically with ignition. You can rig a push putton if desired which would also.

Without seeing your truck and guessing based on your description resale to a individual could range $3,500 to 4,500 but again just a guess. Sure you could be that guy and ask 5k or more but please dont.