• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie with questions for the knowledgeable

Bcurtman

I just got my m35a2 home Sunday. Good running good driving truck. I am very capable mechanically, but still have questions since it is new to me. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

1). My truck is a non-turbo. Do I still have to be concerned about egt?

2). I have bypassed the fdc as I will only be running diesel. It is recommended that I turn up the fuel after the bypass. My adjustments are still safety wired, but appears to be slightly more thread showing than the .150" that is often mentioned. How much do I turn it up?

3). I don't appear to be getting to 2600 rpm at wide open throttle. How do I increase the rpm's?

4). I'll be bobbing it soon. What wheelbase are most of you using with the 105 bed-I know the bed dictates...
What about when using a cut down m35 bed?

5). I need a smaller steering wheel! What works? I'm 6-5 and need a little room!

Thanks!

Troll1216

Welcome aboard.......

READ the TM's they have everything you need, dont be afraid to ask questions, make the search tool your friend.

The members here are great, good info and lots of help.

My word of advice is read first, check the search option and then ask, the information here is EXCELLENT!

As for #1/2 - I don't know I never turned mine up.
#3 is VERY important, DON'T go over 2,600 RPM it is redline and you will blow the motor... Mine is comfortable in the 2400 range, remember these motors were designed for long term running at lower speeds, they will fly apart if run like that.

#4 I have seen it done in posts and if you have the fab skills anything is possible.

#5 The steering wheel is big for a reason, the truck has ARMSTRONG power steering... A smaller wheel will give you less leverage. I would look at the air-o-matic steering posts for information about this. For more legroom some guys swap out the spring ride to the older box style, but it is less comfortable.

Welcome again.

spicergear

1 & 2 = YES, if you're going to turn it up, put a pyrometer on it first as a baseline then give it more fuel. Turbo is after you've melted pistons.

5, do a search for power steering...6'- 5" or not, a smaller wheel will wear you out.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is recommended that I turn up the fuel after the bypass
3). I don't appear to be getting to 2600 rpm at wide open throttle. How do I increase the rpm's?

After someone bypasses the fdc the fuel is allready up some.
After you bring the motor to full oil temps try a no load test for rpm. Put throttel to full fuel and see what the rpm are.
Don't forget to replace all three fuel filters first.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Checkout this manual for checking rpms.

It is for the LDS motor but most of it applies to the LDT no-turbo also.

Also checkout mikew's webite on bobbing

www.xm381.com

Attachments

Last edited:

Bcurtman

Thanks guys! As far as searching and reading, I've been doing a lot of that. I just want to make it perform at its best intended level without hurting it. Love the truck. Can't wait to cut it down, so now the search for a m105 trailer is on. Also looking for some 42" tires that are not not, as I do want to drive it on ice and packed snow. Thanks, and keep the info flowing...I'm a sponge right now!

dilligaf13

Reference #4

Really just depends on what you think looks right. I centered my rear axle on the M105 fenders. Some guys put a spare tire holder between the cab and bed and center off the bed. If you cut down the M35 bed it's really just a matter of what looks good to you.

Reference #5

There are some good posts about modifications that guys have done to gain extra leg room. One of the recent posts metioned everything from replacing the seat with one from a Saturn car, to simply removing the back pad, all the way up to performing cab modifications.

Blind Driver

Reference #5

There are some good posts about modifications that guys have done to gain extra leg room. One of the recent posts metioned everything from replacing the seat with one from a Saturn car, to simply removing the back pad, all the way up to performing cab modifications.
Losing a few pounds probably wouldn't hurt either [thumbzup]

Bcurtman

So for now, I'm shopping for the following to get the truck ready to be all it can be...

M105 trailer
New canvas cab top
A3 or 5 ton steering wheel
Tires- not sure which ones yet, but probably radials in the 42 to 44" range

I appreciate the guidance, and yes I could lose a few pounds, but I'm not too short for my weight! I really enjoy this forum, but it takes all my time!

Bcurtman

Cutting out excess steel around door openings

I saw a truck that had the steel removed inside the doorframe, you know, the stuff that trips you getting in and out when you wear a size 14 shoe. I wondered if this is pretty common? How many of you have removed it?

Bcurtman

Yes, I bought it from a guy in Illinois, up near Chicago. It's been the neatest vehicle I've ever owned so far, as far as cool factor is concerned. Not sure about the practical factor yet! That will come as soon as it is bobbed on air ride.

DeucesWild11

Not sure about cutting out the extra steel around the door, I haven't had an issue with mine , but I am 6'2" with a size 12.. not too bad.. I opted for a slightly smaller steering wheel I think it's from an A3 or 5 ton as others have said. I haven't installed yet but have heard from others that it does make a difference in room but not too much as far as harder to steer. Mine's bobbed with 395's, not something you don't want to parallel park! but it's worth it for the FUN factor! Post up some pics already!!

camoyj7

Yes, I bought it from a guy in Illinois, up near Chicago. It's been the neatest vehicle I've ever owned so far, as far as cool factor is concerned. Not sure about the practical factor yet! That will come as soon as it is bobbed on air ride.
I love mine and drive it every day in the summer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks