• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie with some WMO

angelo225544

I'm new to this forum - I envy all of you who drive these Steel Soldiers. I don't own one yet, but I've been experimenting with WMO in my 1982 Mercedes 300 Turbo Diesel, and thought I might share my experience. Until I started adding gasoline to my well-settled and well-filtered WMO, I had serious smoke issues, especially at idle. After trying to blend WMO with Diesel Fuel in varying ratios, I decided to try 10% gasoline - the smoke all but vanished, idle is significantly smoother, and off-idle acceleration is greatly improved. There has been alot of research done on adding gasoline to WVO, mostly in Europe. It seems that, once Diesel self ignition begins, the gasoline is then ignited by that flame front, resulting in a theoretical "staged ignition". I'm not sure about that, but straight WMO will simply not amotize sufficently to burn efficiently under most conditions. Adding Diesel to WMO can never quite thin it enough, so a thinner solvent is the key. I am now experimenting with running straight (no diesel added) WMO/RUG(Regular Unleaded Gas), at a 90%/10% ratio.

Last edited:

Jimma

I have let mine sit in the sun for a while and settle out, then carefully pour it though a two paint filters for ACE Hardware. I dont mix up the sediment and what pours out is nice and clean. The filters cost 19 cents each at my local store. I have used two by sliding one inside the other for more thorough filtration. So far no problems.

JOAT 0311

McMaster-Carr has a great selection of filters and the prices are fine. I have a 55 gallon drum of Per lube it is clean. Does any one have any knowledge of this stuff? It is either cutting oil or hydraulic oil. I also have a relatively unlimited source of compressor oil if I want it. Any experience w/either of these would be helpful. As for filtering I like to cut with gas or diesel to help the flow. I use bag filters. Then into clean drums or 5 gallon containers.

wb1895

OK so what about the legal way to make fuel. what's the license called? :jumpin:

Usually it is called a "fuel blenders license" Look up you state's tax website and start looking.

Here in NC The license is free but I have to self regulate my forms and pay a total of .08 cents a gallon that I use every quarter.

donttreadonmebmg

8 cents wow that's good I found out I have to pay 28 cents per gallon used on the road and like you I have to self regulate but I don't seem to have to keep track of my mileage, the Ohio department of Taxation just wants to know how much fuel was used on the road. Seems like I could cut the state a check for $40.00 and drive 10,000 miles and they wouldn't know any better, or so it seems.

:beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks