• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie's First Post

Bravotroop

Hi, everyone. I drove a Deuce when I wore the uniform 'bout 30 years ago...loved them and now plan to buy one. One for sale locally turns out to be an M275A2 with 12-foot cargo bed, not M35. Is this truck essentially the same as an M35? Seller claims it's a Kaiser with Hercules motor. Thanks!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Hi, everyone. I drove a Deuce when I wore the uniform 'bout 30 years ago...loved them and now plan to buy one. One for sale locally turns out to be an M275A2 with 12-foot cargo bed, not M35. Is this truck essentially the same as an M35? Seller claims it's a Kaiser with Hercules motor. Thanks!
Similar. Probably Non turbo multifuel. The manufacturer is correct.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome Bravotroop. I googled an M275A2. It comes up the semi tractor version. Maybe they converted it to a cargo. Since tractors are usually the shorter wheelbase, does it have a lot of bed sticking past the frame?

It's a good time to learn how to post up some pictures. If your in the market for one, lots of guys here can set you up. Have fun.

Bravotroop

Thanks. Maybe there's been an engine swap...there's a multi-fuel TURBO motor under the hood, hi/low range lever between the seats, no six-wheel-drive actuator. Seller claims it's automatic when wheels slip (???). Will have my son snap some pix tonight.

Bravotroop

Thanks, 98G. Even if Sprag isn't the preferred actuator, does it work? I can't choose what's aleady on the vehicle. I hope to pack all my stuff in the 12-foot cargo box and relocate out west. I'll need good six-wheel drive to climb up a dirt road on a mountain.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, 98G. Even if Sprag isn't the preferred actuator, does it work? I can't choose what's aleady on the vehicle. I hope to pack all my stuff in the 12-foot cargo box and relocate out west. I'll need good six-wheel drive to climb up a dirt road on a mountain.
My personal opinion about sprag vs air shift transfer is that it isn't such a big deal. In the deuces, they are thought to be more fragile than the air shift variant. They have much less tolerance for allowing the vehicle to roll backwards while in a forward gear.

Sprag transfers work just fine in my experience.

Deduct about $700 from value for a sprag, and many buyers won't even look at a truck with a sprag transfer.

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Welcome from Mass! Like stated pictures help, without them everything is based on what you stated so far! The M275 was early Deuce Tractors, and not as many made, compared to the M35! The bed if you need it does matter, is it a M105 trailer bed or a cut down M35 bed, either way it will haul less than an M35 I'm sure. But being shorter it will be easier to maneuver! As for the SPARG's well the Army got rid of them for a reason! You have to be careful when backing, it can be damaged real easy, the engage when the rear wheels slip, so no way to put the front Wheels in lock at your choice! There are kits to convert them over to an air shift but rare as well. But like any MV, depending on price condition and your maintenance skills, it's all about what you would like. Parts are everywhere for the most part!

Good Luck!

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I personally wouldn't touch a sprag unless you intend to convert to air shift. When I was in the Army in the 1970s, sprags were everywhere. You need to be careful when backing up. I have also had sprag units engage when driving at highway speed. The steering wheel starts jumping around and loud banging noises. They can also engage on the highway and wear your front tires quickly. Air shift doesn't have these problems. In my experience, the only way to cause damage with an air shift is to engage the front axle while moving and the rear wheels are slipping.

Bravotroop

Thanks. I was ARMY (19D cav scout) in 1980s-90s, got out once Desert Storm was over. All our Deuces were air-shift. Today here on SteelSoldiers is the first I have ever heard of Sprag. Soooo, is the Sprag a deal-breaker? What is involved in converting to air-shift? I agreed on terms with the seller today, but hedged that the deal isn't final until my son sees the truck tonight or tomorrow.

winfred

i converted mine to air, it's a simple unbolt and bolt in swap if you ignore the fact it weighs almost 600 pounds, once you get past that T into air under the dash, add a switch then run a copper line down to the piston, a handy engine crane and a furniture dolly do most of the hard work.
mine kicked into 6x6 the first time i took it on the highway, removed the front driveshaft after that till i installed a airshift, was not interested in trying that again
IMG_3602.jpgIMG_3604.jpgIMG_3605.jpgIMG_3606.jpg

Bravotroop

Thanks, Winfred. Anyone know where to get an air-actuated (name?) transfer case? I'm competent to do as Winfred says, but I may be old-and-tired enough that I prefer to pay to have it done, instead. Cargo racks/tarp, too. I had to fabricate everything I needed for my 1948 International KBS-6, and it tired me out LOL. I'm in Central Virginia.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, Winfred. Anyone know where to get an air-actuated (name?) transfer case? I'm competent to do as Winfred says, but I may be old-and-tired enough that I prefer to pay to have it done, instead. Cargo racks/tarp, too. I had to fabricate everything I needed for my 1948 International KBS-6, and it tired me out LOL. I'm in Central Virginia.
I'm sure a member here has one in good condition. I personally would love to have a nice M275A2.M275A2.jpg Welcome aboard from Nevada. Lots of good off roading out here.

Last edited:

Bravotroop

Thanks, all, for the welcome and advice. I'll get pictures of truck once the sun comes up, and learn how to post them. If I drop the input shaft to the sprag transfer case, truck is okay to drive at 40-45 mph, right? Working with seller today on brake lights. Hope to get Virginia tags/inspection tomorrow. Maybe (crossing my fingers) rear axels alone will get me up the mountain.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
... If I drop the input shaft to the sprag transfer case, truck is okay to drive at 40-45 mph, right? ...........
No, don't do that; it wouldn't move at all...!

:).... I know you meant to say front "drive shaft" or more correctly, "propeller shaft". And yes, that's okay.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks