• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbs 1008 questions

IowaFamilyGuy

Hey there,

I've spent a few days hunting down these answers, but I want to get some validation to make sure I'm on the right track for a 1008.

When I look at GL, the Code isn't as important as the description right? Additionally, it's Caveat Emptor right? Inspection is the gold standard.

That being said, I'm plenty capable of doing the rebuilding work of the 25 year old truck, but I don't have the facilities for welding. So patching is probably out of my scope.

Would y'all recommend buying a GL truck or should I look for someone in the group who is selling a partial rebuild, or some other path?

Lastly, I've seen 1028s with non truck beds, are their 28s with fleetsides? Or should I just plan on installing a locker in the 14t.

This truck will become my winter/field/play truck, so I'm planning on minimal mods, but adding a 12V Jumper port on the front, a winch, and some lighting. Any thoughts would be awesome!

Cucvnut

some have rust some don't. mine came with no rust. yes you can get a 1028 with a reg 8 foot box bed, they all come with lockers in the 14FF. its 28 volt so you need to be careful if you want a lot of attachments.

dependable

Find a rust free truck with low miles. You will probably get a good price if you go with a GL auction, but you will have delays, and perhaps some anxiety waiting for your truck to clear. And the there is the shipping or pickup to deal with. If some one in your area has a nice un abused truck, it may be a better deal. I have had pretty good luck, with 3 1008,s a 1028, a 1009, and a USAF cube van ,but I have had 2 bent drive shafts and a cracked transmission housing from the "GL fork lift".

LanceRobson

I this case, the condition code is meaningless. Even an inspection may not help much. A truck with a clean straight body and low miles may need a transmission overhaul to move under it's own power or have a cracked block that won't show up to an inspection.

If you buy one from GL you have to expect that there is a chance of it needing a major repair (or two) that won't be readily apparent during an inspection. I bought a very clean rust free M1008 with low miles and it turned out to need a transmission rebuild. I also bought two M1009s that had no issues at all.

A friend bought three CUCVs. One was basically perfect, one had a host of minor issues that added up to about $700 in parts and a lot of time and the third had a slipping transmission that needed rebuild.

So your tolerance level for that kind of adventure, and the spousal reaction to it, may be the best reasons to go with a private seller for your first transaction or two.

Whatever road you follow, I hope you enjoy the trip. Good luck and welcome to a great hobby.

Lance

IowaFamilyGuy

Hi Lance. I was kind of thinking that, that''s why I asked. GL is a crapshoot for noobs was what I was gathering.

So at what point did most of you decide that you were ready to take the risk on a direct purchase? What was your deciding factor?