• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newby 923A2 purchased from Atlanta Georgia GL...have questions

gmann

OK, so after previewing a ton of 923's at the Atlanta Georgia GL site over many months I finally pulled the trigger on a 91 A2 with about 596 hours / 8K miles. This particular vehicle was on my short list of previews and sold for a pretty good price considering what the others on my list went for in the auction. Will post pictures later, but she is in great shape based on my preview, running of systems.

I have a few questions (lots of great info on the site, but sometimes answers vary so want to clarify some).

Is there anyone in Georgia familiar with the Atlanta GL site for pick up?

Can it be driven off site without a tag? This is a civilian site not a military base.

Working on insurance, but it seems that my USAA covers me for 30 days under my existing policy...will confirm this before getting in the truck.

I live in the Cumming GA area...any members in this area?

Everything on the vehicle seemed to check out...brakes, batteries, good tires, etc. Should I drive it home or have it shipped? Drive is about 40 miles.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What manufacturer made your truck?

Our site rules request a state listed in your location.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
40 miles with a decent backup plan sounds easy.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you previewed it and are pretty sure of it's condition, I would drive it 40 miles if the lot will let you drive it off. You can ask them before you go to pick it up. Do a pre-trip inspection before you hit the road. For insurance, make SURE your insurance company knows what the truck is. I always send them pictures in an email so I can verify they know what it is. If you don't already have an insurance policy that covers large vehicles (in excess of 10K lbs), I would not be too sure your auto insurance policy would cover you the same as if you buy a new car or pickup. I have never had a tag for any of my recoveries. I had the sales paper work and my insurance binder. That should be good enough.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
OK, so after previewing a ton of 923's at the Atlanta Georgia GL site over many months I finally pulled the trigger on a 91 A2 with about 596 hours / 8K miles. This particular vehicle was on my short list of previews and sold for a pretty good price considering what the others on my list went for in the auction. Will post pictures later, but she is in great shape based on my preview, running of systems.
Congrats!

Can it be driven off site without a tag? This is a civilian site not a military base.
Yes. Atlanta Truck Center.

Working on insurance, but it seems that my USAA covers me for 30 days under my existing policy...will confirm this before getting in the truck.
My insurance covers me for 30 days after purchase, but with something like this, I think it would be really smart to go ahead and add it to your insurance and have a card with you.

I live in the Cumming GA area...any members in this area?
We right outside Athens.

Everything on the vehicle seemed to check out...brakes, batteries, good tires, etc. Should I drive it home or have it shipped? Drive is about 40 miles.
I'd drive it but have a backup plan. You need to have several transport options on your speed dial and a credit card with a big limit o if it dies you can get it home.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If they won't let you drive it off lot see if another member with tow bar will pull off lot for you or hire wrecker long enough to get off lot.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
It can be driven off, I just drove a 928a2 off that I took to Fl., also have a wrecker in case of trouble, being it is going to Cumming, 20 minutes from my LZ, a recovery would be fairly easy.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oops....................

Last edited by a moderator:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am now : ( just when you thought you did all of your homework. Well, may have a really nice 923 up for sale if I cannot title in GA.
As of right now I'll give you $500 for it and I'll go get it.

;-)

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I am now : ( just when you thought you did all of your homework. Well, may have a really nice 923 up for sale if I cannot title in GA.
You will still have to apply to GL for the SF-97 (and pay for it). This is where you may have problems. GL will not issue the SF-97 to anyone but the original buyer. You cannot transfer the SF-97 itself to another person even though it looks like a title (been there, done that). You have to title the vehicle in your state (using the SF-97) and then transfer it to the buyer. Since GA will not issue you a title on the BMY/HARSCO trucks you can't sell it to someone else there. How's that for a Catch 22? Now you have yard art, an off road truck or a parts truck.

I have a buyer on hot standby if you have to sell it. PM for contact info.

zout

Now that you have joined the GA Mafia crew that have tons of chit in their yard in metal form that cannot be legally driven in the State of Ga - hopefully you will PM Swiss and see how you can help us get this changed. Or maybe not ?

Look at it this way - work on it another 3 more years and not drive it and then you will be able to get Historic Plates on it with no problem.

At your own desgression - I will just drive mine on a new BOS when I want to show it at a parade (not my rules but living in between the existing loopholes of the law) - that is with full coverage insurance BTW (and NO this is not an insurance link.)

Hopefully you read the whole thread and issues - there will need to be in the very near future a lobbyist to help spread our cause in the General Committee here in Ga to help us get a Draft into the house to where it can then get voted on - I really see this coming but as you can see anyone hiding there head will be of no value but living off a free ride by others.

I cannot see you selling your truck - I also recommend Ron to help you if you need to get it home and walk you through it. Look at it another way - gives you time to go over it - work on it - learn about it while this all goes on.

gmann

I would be happy to do anything I can on my end to research and help with the cause.

Are there any other legal loop holes for this situation. For example, could I sell it to a friend in another state, have them title it and sell it back to me? would be a pain, but beats not being able to use the vehicle.

I know I have talked to some who claimed to have GA title on the vehicle....not sure how or if this was true.

Now that you have joined the GA Mafia crew that have tons of chit in their yard in metal form that cannot be legally driven in the State of Ga - hopefully you will PM Swiss and see how you can help us get this changed. Or maybe not ?

Look at it this way - work on it another 3 more years and not drive it and then you will be able to get Historic Plates on it with no problem.

At your own desgression - I will just drive mine on a new BOS when I want to show it at a parade (not my rules but living in between the existing loopholes of the law) - that is with full coverage insurance BTW (and NO this is not an insurance link.)

Hopefully you read the whole thread and issues - there will need to be in the very near future a lobbyist to help spread our cause in the General Committee here in Ga to help us get a Draft into the house to where it can then get voted on - I really see this coming but as you can see anyone hiding there head will be of no value but living off a free ride by others.

I cannot see you selling your truck - I also recommend Ron to help you if you need to get it home and walk you through it. Look at it another way - gives you time to go over it - work on it - learn about it while this all goes on.

hardimpact

I also just purchase M923a2 at atl. The invoice says Demil A, so does this mean I do not need a EUC? I am going to try to pick it up Monday at about noon. checked it out Friday, 2 low tires. The truck next to mine has an airhose sitting on it so I will borrow it to fill the tires. bummer about DMV, guess the more people inquiring the better.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks