• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newby from England

Petelgv1

Hi everyone,
First I'd like to say is well done to the admins on here. Great site.
I am Pete from nr London England.
We recently brought a Ward Lafrance M1A1 Wrecker. As soon as I can work out how to post pics I will, but only having an ipad and struggling when it say drag pics (which I can't with an ipad) then I'll show you our Baby.
Thanks, Pete

Attachments

Petelgv1

Hi everyone,
How we came about getting a Ward Lafrance.
Years ago my senior boss drove for a company who had started recovery. They had their own haulage company.
they needed a wrecker that could go out and do the job without a problem. They checked out a few and eventually got 3 Wards. They sold one, used one for parts and used one. They used the ward as an open cab for a while and as it was getting used a lot, my boss decided to graft a new cab on it. He cut up an old Bedford s type and grafted the cab on the Ward.. 2 weeks after he left someone ran it out of oil...
Now he is in his late 80's and talks about his Ward all the time.
End of last year my boss's son found a ward in Belgium and had it imported to England. I have been in the rally season most of my life and I now have the pleasure of taking his Ward to shows.
ill enclose a pic of the original Ward he had grafted a cab onto, pulling a lorry from a ditch.

Attachments

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from Washington State!

That's a very nice truck. How you guys can maneuver those big truck around those narrow roads over there is impressive. I've driven around the U.K. a couple of times in little cars and felt squeezed for space. I can't imagine doing it big trucks.

That's a great photo of the truck being extracted from the river bank.

18operator

Welcome from Ohio USA! Nice looking wrecker. It's always interesting to read the back stories on the vehicles that are highlighted on this sight! Enjoy that great piece of History.

AZK9

Welcome from Arizona, USA... The Grand Canyon State!

Beautiful old truck, wonderful history! [thumbzup]

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice truck!

I also like the Bedford TK in the recovery photo. As a child, those Bedfords in their various incarnations were absolutely my favourite trucks.

Cheers

waayfast

Hello Pete!

Welcome from Salmon River Country in central Idaho. WOW, nice Ward!

Nice to see one so complete and very good condition.

I hope you won't mind, but I'll be having lots of questions for you on the wrecker, as I have one of these beasts here in my yard!! Mine is fairly complete and rust free but is missing a few things such as that long tool box on the bed, the box on top the tower and a few other things.

I'm just starting to clean it up and start the restore process.

Anyway, good luck with yours and good to have you on here--Welcome, sir.

Jim

dmetalmiki

Welcome from Washington State!

That's a very nice truck. How you guys can maneuver those big truck around those narrow roads over there is impressive. I've driven around the U.K. a couple of times in little cars and felt squeezed for space. I can't imagine doing it big trucks.
That's a great photo of the truck being extracted from the river bank.
Welcome to the site and the friendships advice's and Mass of information available to you and for your super nice looking truck. It looks awesome, We hope to to see it (and your crew) at the War and Peace revival this year. And yes we (all) love our trucks over here and using them on our "interesting" road networks. I'm sure I posted 'how big is big somewhere' I will post a picture similar anyway.

Attachments

Petelgv1

Hi mate, I have been looking into getting our Ward to the War and Peace revival. The issue we are having at the moment is the cost of Haulage.. Our Ward is original with the Continental Petrol engine at 4 mpg ish so we could not afford to drive her there.. We are not ruling it out yet. I will definitely be there in person for a day if our Ward don't make it.
I will be driving her to the " Wicksteed at war"

Petelgv1

Hello Pete!

Welcome from Salmon River Country in central Idaho. WOW, nice Ward!

Nice to see one so complete and very good condition.

I hope you won't mind, but I'll be having lots of questions for you on the wrecker, as I have one of these beasts here in my yard!! Mine is fairly complete and rust free but is missing a few things such as that long tool box on the bed, the box on top the tower and a few other things.

I'm just starting to clean it up and start the restore process.

Anyway, good luck with yours and good to have you on here--Welcome, sir.

Jim
Ask away mate, if I can help in any way, then I will.
I am off work this week, but I'll do my best.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks