• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newby - M813AI - Starter Isuues

derekdraughon

Newby - Just acquired my first big truck. M813AI. I have been pouring over TM's and can't find what I need. I'm sure switch needs 24v and solenoid needs it to start. Starter switch is out of dash hanging by wires. Hot wire is removed from solenoid. There is a hot wire running from battery box to switch/solenoid area. I want it back correct but first I need to start it and get it home. I need to know proper way to wire it. I'm assuming the switch/switch box might have been bad so it was hacked to run.

If this is not the right group/forum for this just let me know.
Thanks! D

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the forum. You're probably right, the protective box died and someone has been jumping the starter solenoid directly from the battery. Try that until you get it to the house and can fix your wiring right.

derekdraughon

Bump for Help! Pull start worked fine. New 8D batteries. 24 volts at solenoid. New pcb installed. Still no start. I jumped starter and it didn't make any noise. Does this mean starter is bad? I'm assuming that it is. Help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Bump for Help! Pull start worked fine. New 8D batteries. 24 volts at solenoid. New pcb installed. Still no start. I jumped starter and it didn't make any noise. Does this mean starter is bad? I'm assuming that it is. Help?

Switch issues. Get the power to your cut off switch then make a jumper wire to supply power to the starter switch then run a new wire from your starter switch to the starter. Make sure you are getting voltage on your starter signal wire though.
Off the power jump wire run 24v to the fuel solenoid as well
Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

derekdraughon

Switch issues. Get the power to your cut off switch then make a jumper wire to supply power to the starter switch then run a new wire from your starter switch to the starter. Make sure you are getting voltage on your starter signal wire though.
Off the power jump wire run 24v to the fuel solenoid as well
Please don't mistake me for being rude or a smart a - just for my clarification - If I'm applying 24 volts directly to starter from batteries with heavy jumper cables and with a meter confirming 24 volts at starter from jumper cables - the switch will still prevent the starter from engaging?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Your switch has 3 out puts. Power + from main switch. Power at run which would be to the pcb or in your case to the fuel solenoid if you wanted and power at start intermittent only that would be your signal wire

Your main switch will have power from the battery + terminal on the starter. which is hot at all times. When that switch comes on it sends power to the pcb which in turn comes back to the starter switch.

Im thinking or a 939 series but its the same practical setup

Last edited:

derekdraughon

Removed the starter. It looked like a nuke went off in it. Replaced it, which was a job! I still had to run a hot wire to the back of my switch on the dash.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks