• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newer style deuce wire harness differences

ranchhopper

I am installing a late eighties deuce wire harness into a 68 deuce there is some differences from the original harness to contend with. You guys who have a later model truck may be able to answer a couple questions like do the headlight and turn signal light wire harness run along the frame rail on both sides? It does not split from the harness on the D/S and run under the engine like the old ones did there seems to be just enough wire to run them down the frame rails on both sides to make it work. The last thing is the wires that go to the starter on the old harness the big one went down to the positive battery terminal on mine and the small one went to the solenoid on the new harness it looks like the large wire goes to the same stud the large power cable from the battery goes to and the small wire goes to the solenoid but there is a third wire #10 Im puzzled as to where it bolts up to it has a large 1/4 inch ring on it so it must go to a larger size terminal on the starter somewhere.They could have changed the solenoid configuration on the newer trucks looks like the #10 wire on my truck goes from a remote solenoid to a pin on top of the starter its all by its self not part of the old wire harness I have the whole harness installed in the cab already that's pretty much the same it also looks like there is two circuit breakers on the new harness where there was only the one on the old original one any help would be appreciated.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
#10 goes to the hot at all times terminal on the starter relay and powers the horn circuit breaker, becomes 11 and 15 for power to lights and acc switch. same terminal also has #14 going to batt cable on starter. the other wire #214 goes from the relay to the solenoid on the starter. as far as fit, it pretty much just goes the way it will fit best.

Last edited:

ranchhopper

Tom here are some pics of what I have for starter wires #48 is the small one that Im sure goes to the relay where the original wire went the #10 wire is the one with the broken ring and the large wire with the big ring has no # tag.The original set up the big wire with the large ring went down to the positive terminal of a battery in the battery box and the #10 wire went from the hot lead on the starter solenoid to the starter relay and the small wire went to the small pin on top of the starter relay.I don't think the original #10 wire can be left on the starter relay and solenoid when I install this harness this looks like its more self contained not needing a separate #10 jumper wire.

Attachments

Last edited:

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
what you had really does not matter, the new harness will have all correct numbers and a look at the wiring diagram will tell where they go. the #10 wire is not a jumper, it powers the truck. your old wires could very easily be marked wrong if it has been worked on much in the last 46 years

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks