• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newly Bobbed M818 Back Working for the Man

KillDevilHill

old thread i know, but this truck has inspired me to join and make my first post. great truck, exactly what ive got in mind for myself one day. how much does a set of tires and rims go for like that? and, that is the 8.3 cummins, right? i work at a diesel reman shop, and the 8.3 is one of my favorites.

not to derail this, but anyone have any good links to info on these, i get the general concept, but looking for more specifics between the 800 series like this 818, and the 923, 939 trucks. thanks for the motivation, Jared.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 800 (818, 816, 817, etc) series trucks use a NHC250 Cummins, which is modified slightly for the M939 series trucks (931, 925, 936, etc) thru the A1 versions. The A2 versions of the 939 series trucks has the 6CTA8.3 Cummins if that is what you're looking for. The 939 series trucks also have automatic transmissions while the 800 series are manual transmissions. If you want a tractor like the M818 with the 8.3, you are looking for the M931A2 (w/o winch) and M932A2 (with winch).

KillDevilHill

The 800 (818, 816, 817, etc) series trucks use a NHC250 Cummins, which is modified slightly for the M939 series trucks (931, 925, 936, etc) thru the A1 versions. The A2 versions of the 939 series trucks has the 6CTA8.3 Cummins if that is what you're looking for. The 939 series trucks also have automatic transmissions while the 800 series are manual transmissions. If you want a tractor like the M818 with the 8.3, you are looking for the M931A2 (w/o winch) and M932A2 (with winch).
Wow, thanks man. That pretty much answered all the questions I needed to narrow down my search. So, the 800's came first, then the 900's? As I mentioned we rebuild the 8.3 longblocks, along with lots of other motors, I'm a big fan of them, no real issues to speak of, p7100, lots of things going for it. I'm sure the 250 would suite me fine too, I don't want to start a 8.3 vs 250 debate here. I really like the 800's low wide fenders look better than the larger bulkier 900's...I'm not terribly concerned with looks, but given the choice...
Do the Allison automatics hold up ok, or would I be better off with a manual? Either way is fine with me from a driving standpoint. Sorry to turn this into my educational thread, lol. Thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks